Frankfurt to Bayreuth

Apr 12th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Frankfurt to Bayreuth

Sites to see/towns to visit along the way or in Bayreuth? Thanks
Apr 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM

This is a reply to your three posts: have you looked at some guidebooks? They can have very good suggestions.
Apr 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Of course, Michael. I can read and am a seasoned traveller. My point in posting is to ask for opinions from other seasoned travellers, which, by the way, was what I understood to be the point of this board.

Thanks for your helpful post.
Apr 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM

We went to Bayreuth with a stopover in Wurzburg. Using the Michelin Green Guide, we drove from Wurzburg via Bamberg, then south via Nurnberg and to Munich. It's pretty country, sort of like western Oregon, rolling with occasional woods. You will find the Green Guide gives you plenty of options. In Bayreuth be sure to see the old opera house and then see Wagner's home. If you ever wondered if he was a genuine nut case and monumental egotist, one tour of that house will give you the answers.
Apr 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM

So how about being more detailed about your interests, way of travelling etc. instead of popping a one-line question?
Apr 12th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Sure - travelling by car and spending a night in Bayreuth enroute from Frankfurt to Prague. 2 adults, 2 preteen/teen kids who like history, castles, great food. Basically looking for what others familiar with the general area might have enjoyed, sites, restuarants, hidden treasures...
Budget isn't a big issue, we are adventurous, kids aren't the antsy type. Thanks again.

Also, if anyone has ideas for the Bayreuth to Prague leg of the journey, would love to hear them.
Apr 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Wurzburg, Bamberg, Coburg, and maybe Nuremburg. If I had to choose one, then Bamberg. (I really enjoyed my stay in Bayreuth - the Opera House is a gem.)
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Very close by Bayreuth is Kulmbach, famous for its beer of course but perched on a cliff overlooking the city is the Plassenburg Schloss. It's a great castle. When we visited about 4 years ago they had a remarkable antique tin toy display of about 120,000 pieces spread over 3 floors worth of dioramas. There were dozens of these depictions culminating in a massive display complete with lights and music. It was impressive. I would check first to see if it was a traveling display but I think not. There was a traveling display on Frederick the Great at the same time however which was excellent too. Nice city square too there.
Apr 14th, 2007, 07:41 AM

I would agree with Wurzburg and Bamberg for larger cities. Michelstadt and Miltenberg and the Main Valley vineyards are all also pleasant, maybe easier if I understand your trip plans correctly and you are doing the Frankfurt to Bayreuth drive in a day
Apr 14th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Yes - in one day. Looking for a few stops/highlights/attractions "not to be missed" along the way.