Frankfurt or Mainz??

Search

Frankfurt or Mainz??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankfurt or Mainz??

We are traveling by train September 2003 and have a one night stop over in Germany. We have the choice between Mainz or Frankfurt? We will then make our way down towards Italy, needing to make another one night stop over-Switzerland-perhaps Zurich then onto Milan or Innsbruck Austria and onto Florence? We will ultimately end up in Rome and have a few short days to accomplish this. Any thoughts??? Thank you!!!!!!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Intrepid

First of all, are you purposely routing yourself through Switzerland and Milan in order to eventually get to Florence? If so, that is fine and I'm sure you'll enjoy the scenery. The more direct route would be through Munich to Innsbruck and then over the Brenner pass and through the Dolomites to Florence via Trento and Verona with no changes required (just a thought..I'm a train buff so I often go the long way around).
As to Frankfurt or Mainz..am sure a lot of people will tell you there is more to do in Frankfurt than Mainz (but for just a stop-over maybe the size difference/activity availability doesn't matter as much. I'll simply relate my Mainz experience and you can decide for yourself.
The best place to stay in Mainz, I think, is in the Hyatt which is directly on the Rhine (a definite TAXI ride from the Mainz RR station). The only room you want to stay in if you can afford it is one of the so-called "Garnd Hyatt rooms" on the top floor..and at that, ask for one on the corner. This will give you the most spectacular view of the Rhine, along with a balcony. And unlike some other places the room will have all the modern conveniences including air conditioning, the biggest bathroom you have probably EVER been in, and there are NO train noises or highway noises.
We happened onto this by accident a couple of years ago and I've never forgotten it. Regardless of your final decision I am sure you'll enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:23 AM

Perhaps telling us where you come from (before staying this one night in Germany) helps us to give you some advice?
Plus: What kind of a thing are you looking for in your overnight town? Just a comfortable bed or something specific?

And do I understand it correctly, it's either Zuerich and Milan or Innsbruck and Florence? Then I'd vote for the ladder: Do Austria and Tuscany.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Sounds like a busy schedule, indeed. I'm wondering if your route through Germany is somehow pre-planned and that's why you are choosing Frankfurt/Mainz as a stopover.

If so, I suggest Frankfurt as there is more to see and do. Mainz has a fine cathedral and some interesting sites, but certainly not as much as Frankfurt.

If you are to stop in Frankfurt, you could stay at the Crowne Plaza on Darmstadter Landstrasse, near the Henninger Brewery. You can find it on the Holiday Inn website. It's in Sachsenhausen, which is an area just south of the Main River. You could take in the Romer (right across the river) and the hauptwache shopping district during the day and have dinner and some libation over in the lively pub district of Sachsenhausen in the evening. It would be fun.

You can take a bus right across from the hotel to either place and they are easy to find and not far at all.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi
thanks for the great info. We are starting in Amsterdam. The reason for stopping in Mainz or Frankfurt is to use our Hilton Honors point for a free hotel room that night. The rest is up in the except for ending up in Rome.