Frankfurt

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Stephanie Nixdorf

Frankfurt

Our overnight flight from the US arrives in Frankfurt in the morning. We will have the afternoon to walk around before we meet up with our tour group. I understand Frankfurt is known as a financial center - but what are a few sights we might enjoy? Also, any suggestions as to where to get a bite to eat? We're looking for something along the lines of a traditional German eatery with some German beer of course!

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 01:03 PM
John

Hi Steph: <BR> <BR>Look for the area called "Sauchausen" (sp?) It has the traditional look that you want! Beer is all over....but the area is known for a apfel-cider type drink. Tastey..give it a try! <BR>JOHN

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 01:30 PM
miriam

Dear Stephanie, <BR> <BR>as John pointed out there`s a quarter where you can get all kinds of food and beer-bars, it`s called Sachsenhausen and it`s on the other side of the river Main across the Business and Town center. I would advise a place called "Roemer" where you`ll find a lot of beautiful old houses(Fachwerkhaeuser). There are several cafes around that kind of market place and you can get there by underground from the main train station without changing trains, just take the U4. If you like shopping you can walk from there to the "Zeil", a huge shopping pedestrian zone. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help you further. <BR> <BR>Kind regards <BR>Miriam

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 02:03 PM
Jaime Torres George

Are you going on a cosmos tour to Central Europe? Because by the description I also arrive in Frankfurt to join a tour in the afternoon by <BR>July 16

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:26 PM
Art

I lived in the Frankfurt/Weisbaden area for almost 7 years. In fact I had an apartment in Sachsenhausen for a while. My favorate pub/resturant was DaughSchneider and my favorate meal was saurbraten and kartofel gloessen. Their apfle wein (apple wein) was great with a great German atsmophere. <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 03:52 AM
Stephanie

Jamie - to answer your question - we are actually going on a Trafalgar tour. <BR> <BR>Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 04:06 AM
Stephanie

Jaime - I apologize for spelling your name wrong. How rude of me. <BR> <BR>Also - our tour starts July 27th. It is called European Spree by Trafalgar (as I <BR>mentioned) starts in Frankfurt...we are doing the optional Oberammergau Passion Play, then on to Venice, Florence, Lake Lucerne, Paris - leave out of Paris. Very short trip...this is our first trip to Europe & we hope to get a nice overview for future trips.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 08:09 AM
JS

Stephanie, <BR>Walk on the other side of the Main to see the skyscrapter when you finish your lunch. What's about the old market place, and Goethe House museum (it celebrated 100 years old last year).

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 02:02 PM
jeff

We had a similar situation. Maybe it has been identified already, but I'm not as familiar with the names of the areas. We walked straight out of the station down to the city hall area (I think). NIce square and older architecture. The other areas mentioned here sound as nice, if not nicer. Keep in mind, the area outside the station is a little rough. We had homeless folks following us, but we were there on a deserted Sun. a.m. <BR>