frankfurt?

Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

frankfurt?

My husband has business in Frankfurt in Feb. I am a seasoned traveler and don't mind sightseeing on my own. Should I go with him? It's only for 3 days. Is it possible to take a day trip by train to another destination close by? Munich? Berlin? I don't know when I'll have another chance to see Germany.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:34 AM

yes - frankfurt is right in the center of germany by plane it will take about 60 minutes flight (lufthansa/air berlin) or to munich (lufthansa only).
Or interesting way ist to travel by high speed train ice within 2,5 - 3 hours. ckeck www.bahn.de for travel times only with ICE-trains.
more info needed ? mail to [email protected]
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:59 AM

PS : if you stay on monday 23.02.03 you will find big street events in cities like frankfurt, mainz, cologne and mainly in duesseldorf as we have the traditional "Rosenmontagzüge" our street carnival showing actual themes and bringing in the cities millions of people to dance, and anjoy the moments.
Cities like munich and stuttgart berlin or hamburg do not have such a day. more infos needed send email to [email protected]
Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:28 AM

The simplest daytrips from Frankfurt would be to the Rhine Valley between Rudesheim and Koblenz. There are some great castles and historic wine towns. I don't know how active this area is in February, however.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:08 AM

Once when passing thru Frankfurt, my mom, my sister & I took a half day tour of Frankfurt to pass the time. Prior to that I had heard all kinds of unkind things about Frankfurt. However, once I took the tour and discovered the historic charm, I found myself looking at the city through new eyes.

So, yes, absolutely, you should go! Whether you take a side trip or just bop around the city, you will enjoy yourself.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:46 PM

As Melissa mentioned in the previous post, Frankfurt gets little respect here and abroad, but you could spend three days in and around Frankfurt and be perfectly happy. There are closer areas to visit than Munich and Berlin that wouldn't require you to eat up valuable time in transit. Bad Hamburg is a short distance away from Frankfurt and is worth at least a half day.

Honestly, I would prefer to hang out in Frankfurt than Heidelberg or Wiesbaden - but that's my less than humble opinion.

If you want to visit a larger city, Cologne is only an hour by train and is famous for its Carnival (sp?) at that time of year. A visit to the mighty Dom (Cathedral) is one of the most moving experiences of my travels through Europe. The beer in Cologne is worth a visit in itself. Good luck.