Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France Train/Bus Travelers Experts-Libourne to Bordeaux--HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help/advice ASAP regarding transportation options from Libourne TGV "station"
into Bordeaux. Web-site for CITRAM Aquataine is in FRENCH. We are staying in historic town center...and can get taxi(?) to hotel from either a train station or bus station.
We arrive on May 13th CDG/Paris--TGV CDG to Libourne. Merci!!!
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM

There are frequent trains on that route - for schedules check www.voyages-sncf.com - French rail web site. Usually when trains run such a route there are few competing buses IME
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 10:05 AM

According to the site, the 301 and 302 run from Libourne to Bordeaux. Here is a page with the jpeg showing the routes:

http://www.citram.fr/ftp/FR_plan/pla...e%20droite.jpg

The 302 seems to be the direct bus and it runs from:

LIBOURNE - BORDEAUX BUTTINIERE via the National Route (RN) 89

It seems to take about an hour and supposedly goes all the way to the tourist office in Bordeaux, which I assume is near the city center where you will be staying.

I would talk to the information booth when you get to the gare-they should be able to give you more exact info. I don't know public transport in that area at all since I drive it when I go to Libourne.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Libourne and Bordeaux are on the same TGV line, about 15-20 minutes apart at most. Much faster than a bus, and there are trains all the time. Schedules, as noted, are at www.voyages-sncf.com (of course it's in FRENCH, but if all you want to do is check schedules, click on the British flag at the bottom left).
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Merci! I think we can figure out what to do now...got info reg the hour bus ride....never could
get thru the SNCF site...."it" refused to cooperate with me....have had more trouble with it.
I think we will deal with either the bus or getting train info at the INFO BOOTH when we get there. I also found several poster's comments reg RailEurope very interesting & informative!!
Seems they are helpful when they want to be We are leaving 5/12 for a 3-week "amazing race"...recovering for a week in Paris....I have more questions to ask...will post later.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM
ira

Hey Not,

Can't you take the train to Bordeaux instead of Libourne?

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:03 AM

I am kind of with ira here-even if you have to wait a bit longer at CDG to depart I am guessing that you will gain it back in the time it takes to make the connection between Libourne and Bordeaux centre. And it gives you more breathing time in case of a delayed arrival.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:48 AM

another option for TGVs CDG to Bordeaux is, if the direct trains are not timed good for you is to possible look at taking a TGV from CDG to Massy-TGV (Paris suburbs) and then change to the more frequent Paris (Montparnasse station) TGVs that go about hourly direct to Bordeaux, via Lilbourne
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

for some unknown reason, we could not get a "schedule" for the TGV/CDG to Bordeaux...
so we ended up with going to Libourne.....and for some reason, my husband did not
book it from Montparnasse. to Bordeaux...and I totally agree with jpie in concept!