France to Spain travel

Search

France to Spain travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France to Spain travel

Going to Cassis, France on the Mediterranean next month. Thinking of going to Barcelona while we're there, but can't come up with the best way to get there. Any suggestions? I hear that driving in Spain is tough, especially in Barcelona. We may just drive up the French Rivieria toward Italy and forget Spain.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Driving between cities in Spain is not difficult. Navigating and parking in the cities is difficult.

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM

I agree with Aduchamp, the highways are not bad at all but negotiating the cities and parking are very trying. I drove out of Barcelona in a rental car and the first half hour was harrowing, with roundabouts and missed signs, then it was smooth sailing until we got to Perpignon, France, where once again the driving was not easy, street signs are tiny and on buildings, very hard to see, even a GPS, map and two other adults didn't make it easy. We did it, but just be aware of the parking limitations, study the French and Spanish road signs, and be sure to read the requirements for driving in each country. In Spain, a IDP is necessary, as are a spare pair of glasses if glasses are required by your license. Beware of parking restrictions, as well.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM

I don't think driving in Spain is difficult -- and that was even before I moved to Italy. And I thought Perpignan was pretty easy.

But even though the modernistic urban plan Barcelona is actually designed for auto traffic -- rare in Europe!!!!! -- I don't like driving there because of all the traffic. (Maybe the design of the city encourages car owning to a fault.)

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:08 AM

You don't need an IDP in Spain but the spare pair of glasses may be needed. My Spanish driver license marked that I needed the second pair.

In both France and Spain now need a vest of bright yellow and must be wearing to climb out of the car on the highways. The triangle signs might be available and being used, when required.

I haven't any special problems driving in Spain nor France. Barcelona is a big city and the traffic needs some patience.

Blackduff