France to Spain, hotel with parking

Apr 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
esm
Original Poster

France to Spain, hotel with parking

We plan to travel from Toulouse to Barcelona in late May. We have to start and end the trip in Toulouse. I have rented a car but am having trouble finding a hotel in Barcelona with parking.

I have read many posts and travel reports here and know we’re better off without a car for the 3 or 4 days in Barcelona but we'd like to have the car to see a few places in SW France before going to Spain. I haven’t found a better alternative for getting to Barcelona. No direct trains or flights are available.

I’m hoping to find accommodation for around €120; don’t need to be in the city center since we can take the metro. It seems even without the parking issue it is difficult to find something within my budget. Any suggestions?
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM

There are public parking garages available in Barcelona. The one we used off the Ramblas was very secure as it was one of these new garages where the car is shipped to a different level inaccessible to anyone but the staff (about 25€ per day 6 years ago). We also stayed at a 3* hotel near the bullring (Plaza de España(?)) which had its own parking garage, but there also was free parking available across the street from the hotel. I'm sure that your hotel will be able to recommend a garage if it does not have its own.
Apr 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
esm
Original Poster

Thanks Michael. Safety is a concern and I was not aware that a secure garage was an option.

I have sent emails to several 2-3 star hotels but so far have had no luck finding a vacancy with or without parking. I know I'm starting late!
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:24 PM
esm
Original Poster

Anyone else with ideas?
Apr 18th, 2008, 12:17 AM
car

If you have a car and want to play be reasonable in your expense, you can take a hotel in the suburbs, and drive to the center and park while you visit.
I will recomend the holiday Inn express in Molins de Rei.
The hotel is not fancy but brand new
about a year old and you have free parking.
www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hotel/bcnmt
The Cost of the room you can check but it is around 60/80€ per night and the drive in and out of Barcelona will take you 20 minutes.
You can also take the train from Molins to Barcelona,a five minute walk to the station and two or three trains per hour plus 20 minute trip to the center.
If you want to stay late in Barcelona dinner or drinks a taxi back will cost 15 to 20 €.
Apr 18th, 2008, 05:31 AM
ira

Hi E,

Is it absolutely necessary that you drop the car in Toulouse?

Can you drop it off in Narbonne and take the train to Barcelona?

Apr 18th, 2008, 02:45 PM
esm
Original Poster

Thanks car, I'll look into this option.

ira, maybe I'm mistaken but I read a train trip would involve a change and long wait times. Also, we have to get back to Toulouse to come back to the US.
Apr 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM

I would do the round trip, just don't take the same route coming and going.
Apr 19th, 2008, 01:02 AM

although many hotels do not have their own parking garage under their hotel in the city, you should not have problems finding one nearby.

plan to spend about 22-25 euros/day, though.

sitges has good train access to barcelona but is to the south. beach hotels off season are usually very reasonable compared to the city.

maybe try www.toprural.com and make barcelona a day trip from a nearby place in the country??

it still seems there must be a convenient french train station to drop off and direct train into barcelona if all the luggage slepping doesn´t bother you.

Apr 19th, 2008, 01:56 AM
ira

Hi E,

Enter Narbonne and Barcelona at www.bahn.de for the 08:20, 17:58 and 18:29. About 25E.

Apr 19th, 2008, 04:23 AM
esm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for replies. I have to admit I'd prefer not having the car but my husband likes the "freedom" of having transport.

ira, I tried the DB website and put the times in. I can't seem to find the prices and I guess I'll have to try the French rail system for purchase. I may not get a chance to investigate more today as I'm somewhat behind for preparations for tonight.
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:35 AM
esm
Original Poster

ira, why did you suggest Narbonne? I've often seen posts on dropping a rental car & catching a train in Perpignan. Also, I was told by a friend that since French and Spanish rail systems are different, you have to get off at the border and change to a different train. But this was a couple of years ago so maybe my information is old.
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:41 AM

Drop the car in Narbonne??? That makes no sense to me, either! Probably Ira recommends it because he has been there for a few hours!!

You might want to visit Collioure, and inland and coastal Catalunya en route...you will need a car for exploring..
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:48 AM

I forgot to add the hotel I've stayed at a few times in Barcelona; they have parking nearby and we have used it. The hotel has apparently been linked with a chain and renovated since I was there last so prices may have gone up; the location is superb and I would recommend in the moderate range:

http://www.hotelgranvia.com/

Apr 19th, 2008, 05:52 AM
esm
Original Poster

Thanks ek. Unfortunately the hotel is booked up for our travel dates. I usually plan far ahead so I have a lot of catching up to do.
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM

I would endorse the suggestion of Sitges if you are going to spend your time in or near Barcelona. There are several nice hotels with ample free parking within walking distance of the train station. There is frequent service to the Sants station that runs through most of the day.

But, if you are planning day trips from Barcelona, most of the places to which you would want to go, are North and East of the City, e.g. Montserrat or Girona. That would make Sitges less attractive and you could consider some of the large commercial hotels along the Diagonal. While that area has feew places you would want to visit, it has good highway access and several subway stations.