France tell tourists to beware of conmen

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:36 AM
pepe lepew

France tell tourists to beware of conmen

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-372859,00.html

interesting article about french restaurants....

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:49 AM
StCirq

Fair enough.....but who in France expects to be served expensive château-bottled wine in a pitcher?

And why must a bouquet de crevettes du chef be fresh from the sea? As far as I know, "du chef" might just refer to "in the chef's manner" - I don't think it means the chef had to go out prawn fishing.

Still, the article gives pause...

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:57 AM
wonder

What if the wine is in a crystal decanteur (decantur?)

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:13 PM
confused

I had the same reaction as St Cirq..chateau bottled wine in a pitcher??

If it is a fine wine and is being decanted , it would normally be done after the sommelier shows one the bottle then uncorks it and decants it, all in front of the [email protected]

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Christina

I think these are issues anywhere and don't have much to do with France -- just that some restaurants serve older food that may not be so good or fresh. I would be surprised if it happened more in France, in any case, although it wouldn't surprise me if it happened more in those restaurants on rue de la Hachette where the food is cheap and they wave in tourists.

I'm not a real connoisseur but I don't understand the wine thing at all, either--if I order a pitcher of wine, that wine is the house table wine. I've never been in a French restaurant where you ordered any wine other than the house wine and it wasn't brought to you in the bottle and decorked in front of you. But, I guess if you didn't know anything about wine but were talked into ordering an expensive one or wanted to, maybe they could convince you that was the way to serve it--sounds rare.

Restaurant closings for health inspection reasons happen all the time where I live, they post them in the paper weekly, although mostly small ones. I would be interested in those celebrated, prestigious ones they cite as being closed, that would be the most interesting point of that article, otherwise it sounds rather blown out of proportion for the findings. I think that journalist is stretching, like the major big finding that some tourists are renting vacation mobile homes and they are-- old, dirty and smaller than advertised!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 07:50 AM
hamburgers

Oh wow, this NEVER happens in the US...