Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France, Spain and England with two kids-are we nuts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 10:34 PM
John Rosenberg

For better or for worse, my wife and I are taking our 10 year old daughter and 13 year old son to Barcelona, Paris, London in June. We're staying in rented apartments in London and Paris. We're eager for any suggestions of how to keep the kids interested (their museum tolerance is limited)-with day trips or some excursions out of the cities. Also planning on 2-3 days driving through the Loire Valley.Any suggestions on places to stay with the family in the Loire Valley? Other activities that would grab the kids interest?

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 03:39 AM
Lisa Brown

Hi there - well for kid-friendly attractions in London, try Madame Tussauds (waxwork dummies of famous people), The London Dungeons (for slightly gruesome history and models, a war experience shelter that moves, like a ride really) and the Tower of London. They house the Crown Jewels there and have Beefeaters etc. If you like museums, the Natural History Musuem has skeletons of giant dinosaurs and the Science Musuem has a special section for kids where they can actually get involved and test out things etc.

Hope that helps...and have a good time

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 03:28 PM
Tricia

I have a couple of websites that might be of interest to you: http://www.initaly.com~initaly/regio...ide/family.htm
This is a great site for Italian vacations with kids, from seaside resorts too living on a farm and watching grapes harvested to living with a countess. From there might be some links to other countries. Then there is www.travelwithkids.miningco.com--great site w/lots of links for ideas for traveling with the better half

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 08:47 AM
kathleen

I've taken my seven year old to Europe 3 times; the first time to Spain, when he was not quite three. Everyone we knew thought we were demented. It worked out great. It's a different trip, but not a worse one. Specifics: involve them in planning the trip. I bought children's stoies about the countries to which we would travel and we viewed lots of travelogue videos. Ask them to pick three things we have to do. My son said the first thing we had to do in Paris was climb the Tour Eiffel. (That has become the family tradition, each time we go to or will ever go to Paris -- straight from checking in to the top.) As old as your girls are I'm sure they would be very able to participate in your planning.
Take a box of your kids favorite cereal or snack -- even if they are adventurous eaters sometimes the familiar is necessary. Paris' Luxembourg Gardens has a great kids play area, even young teenagers were hanging from a long sliding trapeze contraption. I think the cathedrals have staying power for kids--my son's reaction to the Sainte Chappelle was "Wow, Mom ceiling to die for."
All over France there are wonderful, carved carousels. Watching the Tuileries whirl round is a bit of alright -- I imagine even at 13. The 100 year old wooden horse ride on the Champ de Mars might still be of interest to your younger one.

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 08:59 AM
kathleen

cont. In Spain, we were treated preferentially because we had a young child. The Spanish really love well-behaved kids. Spanish dining hours being so late, in every restaurant we were seated ahead of others waiting --without requesting it. I also never got what I ordered for my son -- the cooks thought it was too spicy--they always made him some great chicken breast sauteed in garlic with a rice pilaf. He loves it still. To incur special approval and assistance from Spaniards make sure your children are as well dressed as possible especially on Sundays and when dining out. cont.

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 09:09 AM
kathleen

don't want to bore you but a few other things just came to me. I'm guessing you're Jewish too. We make a practice of seeking out Jewish history, so that Benjamin gets a sense of us as a world-wide culture. Spanish/Jewish history is very rich more so in the South but Barcelona has sites to offer.

Back to Paris, your daughters might enjoy a fashion show. The great department stores near the BLVD Haussman - Printemps,etc. - hold free or very cheap shows in the afternoon. You must get tickets in advance and they keep it fairly secret because it's not a tourist event. We contacted the English language shopping assistant and just kept at it until we got them. Paris fashions are unique.