Reload this Page >

france/paris/geneva kosher

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 07:08 AM
Michael

My wife and I are planning a trip to Paris in mid August from Monday thru Sunday. We would like suggestions on nice hotels within walking distance of the kosher restaurants and synagogues (we are orthodox. We would like a place that has nice walks at night and especially on Saturday. <BR> <BR>Can anyone suggest a private tour guide well versed in Jewish history of Paris and the surrounding areas. <BR> <BR>We are then flying to Geneva for a few relaxing days by Lake Geneva...any suggestions for a hotel with a great view and maybe a balcony to eat out on... <BR> <BR>thank you

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 07:33 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I don't know where you are, but the French Gov't Tourist Office in the US <BR>has (had) a booklet called <BR>France for the Jewish Traveler. <BR>In the US you can call to request brochures at 410 286 8310, Mon-Fri <BR>9am-9pm. Their website is <BR>www.francetourism.com <BR>You can also try www.paris-touristoffice.com <BR>The traditional old Jewish neighborhood in Paris is called the Pletzel, in the Marais area on the right bank. The Marais is a picturesque, very old part of Paris, one of my favorite recommendations for strolling. There are several kosher-style restaurants in that area, but I don't know which ones are strictly kosher, nor do I know of kosher hotels there. <BR>However, according to my copy of the brochure, the Lubavitch organization runs a strictly kosher hotel in the 9th <BR>arrondissement called Lebron, 4 rue Lamartine, tel 48 78 75 52, fax <BR>49 95 94 64, located between Montmartre and the Opera. There are kosher restaurants nearby, and the hotel serves <BR>breakfast as well as lunch on Sat. <BR>Here is another resource for you, Consistoire Central, tel 49 70 88 00 <BR>fax 42 81 03 66, for questions regarding synagogues and other religious matters. <BR>There are several Jewish museums and memorials as well, which the brochure I mentioned will list for you. <BR>August is a vacation month for many French people and businesses, I don't know if any of <BR>the kosher restaurants will be closed or not, but inquire in advance. <BR>good luck

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 08:39 AM
adina

Hi-- I do know of two small- two star, private bath, but not luxury at all hotels in the 19th arr. The area in the around the Parc Buttes Chaumont along the Rue Manin has a religious population and parts of the neighborhood are pretty nice. Some restaurants will be closed. The park itself is beautiful to walk in on Saturday and there are great views from the higher points and there are lots of bakeries and stuff like that but the restaurants tend to be in other areas a metro ride away as do the tourist things. You might want to find a more centrally located area for during the week and then move for the last two nights (unless you want to be close to a shul every morning). If you e-mail me directly I can give you more detailed information.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 11:07 AM
s

Michael: <BR>Sorry I can't help with Paris, but for the Lake Geneva portion of your trip, I recommend that you go to Montreux. It's less than a two-hour train trip from Geneva. <BR> <BR>Here's what's to do there: <BR> <BR>Spend a morning walking along the 11km flowered lakeside promenade from Clarins to Villeneuve, passing the Chateau Chillon along the way; there are plenty of cafes to stop and have a coffee & snack along the way to replenish your strength. Top it off with lunch at a lakeside cafe in Villeneuve, then take the ferry back to Montreux. <BR> <BR>Take the train from Vevey to Chexbres, then spend a morning walking the vineyards down to the lake, hitting Rivaz & St. Saphorin. For lunch, find an <BR>auberge with a lake view or see if any of the cellars are having a cheese/wine tasting. Cully (esp. the Augerge du Raisin) and Lutry (with a walking tour of its old buidlings) are worth a trip as well. <BR> <BR>Spend a day in the mountains, taking the train (two-hour trip) to the jet-set resort of Gstaad. On the way back, stop at Chateaux d'Oex, where the only successful round-the-world-by-hot-air-balloon balloon was launched. Or stop at Glion and walk the rest of the way down to Montreux on a staired-path through the <BR>forest. <BR> <BR>Spend an afternoon in the medieval village of Gruyeres, making sure to sample the berries in creme-double. <BR> <BR>Spend an afteroon in Nyon at the Roman museum and the Caesar's columns nearby. <BR> <BR>Spend a morning walking up to Montreux's old city & the museum & the old church. Fantastic views from the old church (can't remember the name -- but it's <BR>prominent in the old city). Have lunch at the restaurant at the museum. <BR> <BR>If you like classical music, you're in luck: the Montreux Classical Music Festival runs 18 Aug - 10 Sep this year. <BR> <BR>Here are the websites: <BR>www.montreux.ch (find their picture gallery -- it moves, but should be under "tourism" somewhere) <BR>www.montreux-festival.ch <BR>www.vevey.ch <BR>www.lake-geneva-region.ch <BR>www.gruyeres.ch <BR>www.nyon.ch <BR>www.concierge.com (type in "Switzerland" as a destination, then go to "Lausanne & the Alps"). <BR>www.myswitzerland.com <BR> <BR>E-mail me if I can help with other information or recommendations. If you decide to go to Montreux, hotel rooms may be running scarce by now -- so act quickly. <BR> <BR>s

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 12:04 PM
phyllis

we were in paris two years ago and stayed in the marais district, which is very charming and very centrally located for everything in paris, including a synagogue and kosher restaurants. our hotel was called the "hotel de la bretonniere" on a street by the same name. )i may have mispelled it. it is very small (17 rooms)and very elegant. the best part was that it combined 18th century charm with 20th century plumbing! we had a jacuzzi in our room and the room rate was $180 per night (this was 2 years ago)there is another small and quaint hotel called caron de marchand (i'm sure thats not exactly right) but it was the home of the librettist for figaro. as far as restaurants, i remember at least three restaurants along the rue de rosiers (the main street in the pletzel) that had teudot (kosher certificates) in the window. we ate in all of them and they were quite good. there is a kosher grocery store that sells all sorts of provisions and wine across from "jo goldberg" which is NOT kosher and the synagogue is around the corner. there is also a macrobiotic restaurant near the bastille station, which is run by lubavitch and a vegetarian restaurant in the marais district and one near the rue de monge in the 6th arrondismont.I'm sure you'll have a full itinerary but it would be worth your time to make a stop at the holocaust memorial which is at the tip of notre dame, overlooking the sienne. its very small, but incredibly moving. enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Caitlin

I suggest you look at www.jewishtravel.com. They have advice on accommodations and Jewish-history related sites, and links to sites with listings of kosher restaurants in international cities.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 09:09 PM
Debra

Just go to www.shamash.org and type in Paris. You will find well over 100 kosher restaurants in and round Paris.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:00 AM
Topper

To the top for Michael.