France or Barcelona in August?

Mar 26th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Meg

France or Barcelona in August?

I'm in the initial planning stage of my second trip to Europe, the first being to Naples in December. I would like to knock off some of the "big" destinations off my list, like Paris and London. My birthday is in early August and I'd love to go the French Riviera as well, but I here that time is a nightmare. Is France really so bad in August? How about Barcelona? Where is ideal to go in August, Europe wise?
Thanks!

Mar 26th, 2002, 11:25 AM
elvira

The French Riviera is a mob scene in August (this is the yearly vacation time for the French); if you don't mind crowds, then go to the Riviera. If you really hate crowds, try the areas around Argeles-sur-Mer for the beaches (more middle-class family area, large sandy beaches) and the history (this is the Languedoc-Roussillon area). The Costa Brava and Barcelona will be busy with tourists (and Spanish vacationers); try inland a bit and maybe into the Pyrenees.

The Dordogne valley/Aquitaine is another alternative, but the biggies like Sarlat and Rocamadour will be VERY crowded with tourists.

To travel in August, you've got to be a bit creative. Personally, I'd head north to either Northern Ireland or the far-reaches of Scotland (cooler weather, not crammed with tourists, loooots of history, battlegrounds and crumbling castles - and good beer).

Mar 26th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Meg

Fantastic reply, Elvira, thanks. I partially think it might be interesting to see French people on vacation, but I'm still weighing the ideas.

I had considered Ireland and Scotland initially, the Edinburgh Fringe and Arts Festivals are in August! Any idea how if Edinburgh is much more expensive during August?

Thanks again!

Mar 27th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Keith Legg

Edinburgh is not much more expensive during the Festival - if you can get a room! What you could think about though (if you can't get somewhere in Edinburgh) is heading to Glasgow and travelling in to Edinburgh each day - the trains run quite late and (I think) there are buses running all night. There are some good postings about accomodation in Edinburgh on this site - just do a search at the top. Look out for postings from Sheila Ritchie - very helpful and lots of ideas.

Elvira's point about the French Riviera is well made. I'd also add that early August is close to the beginning of the school holidays in England so the Dordogne is likely to be crowded by the English rather than the French (they're all at the Med!)

Mar 27th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Tilly

don't go to Barcelona in august, all the spaniards are away and half of the shops are closed. It's also too hot to go sightseeing, Barcelona is better in september or october

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Rex

August is for Alps, in my opinion. If you want aquatics thrown in, that's why they have all those wonderful lakes: Léman (Geneva), Konstanz, Viwewaldstaettersee (Luzern), Maggiore, Como, Garda. And tons more that I'm leaving off of the list, no doubt. Annecy, Bled, Trasimeno.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 27th, 2002, 09:07 PM
ttt

ttt