Reload this Page >

France-Northern Italy- Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 10:10 PM
carole

Hubby and I are planning on spending 7 days in Cap d'Ail (French Riviera) then taking rental car and going to Milan and Lake Como area and then into Switzerland spending last three days in Zurich (total time 2 weeks). After reading other questions, I am not sure if we have sufficient time with all that driving. Has anyone else done that sort of a trip? I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:04 AM
Rex

You're challenging us with the phrase "two weeks" - - for some people that means 14 actual days, for others only 13 or even just 12. Thus subtracting 7 days in Cap d'Ail and 3 days in Zurich (1-2 too many?) - - do you have 2, 3 or 4 to get between the two?<BR><BR>2 is way too rushed; 4 is beginning to be reasonable, 6 might be even better. You can make it from the Cote d'Azur to Lake Como (or Maggiore) all in one day, even with a 2-4 hour stop in Milan - - maybe see the Duomo and Galleria then move on.<BR><BR>Likewise, you COULD make it from either lake to Zurich in a single day - - but a pity to do so. Lugano, the Altdorf area, Lake Luzern and all that surrounds it - - two, or all three of these are suitable stops along your way.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 05:35 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Carole, That is doable but I would drop your car in Lugano and train to the Luzern area rather than Zurich. You are only 1:20 to the Zurich airport by train from Luzern, and this area has more to see. Good luck !

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:07 AM
Rex

topping for carole<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:45 AM
ttt

to the top - - since there are now two of these threads on here.<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
Rex

Rex, thanks for the info. Sorry to confuse you - this is my first time on here. We arrive in Nice on April 17th and depart the 24th. Thought we would drive to Milan and do the Duomo and Galleria then drive to Lake Como and stay overnight. See Lake Como the next day and then head up to Luzern. We are now thinking of Luzern instead of Zurich. How much time should we allot to see the usual sightseeing things in that area? Our plan departs at 10 a.m. on the 30th. Head up to Zurich the night before or is it an easy drive to go up early that morning? Thanks again for your help. Carole

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:43 PM
Bob the Navigator

Hi Bob, Thanks for your reply. I already have my car booked for the 13 days why do you suggest we drop it in Lugano and train to Luzern? Due to other responses, we have decided to visit Luzern instead of Zurich. Thanks so much for your help.<BR>Carole

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:13 PM
Rex

In reference to your remarks to Bob (about already having the 13 day rental reserved) - - your rental isn't binding is it? The relevant question is whether you have to pay a big drop charge to leave a French car in Zurich.<BR><BR>An alternative would be to re-rent in San Remo (not far from Nice, in Italy), and as Bob suggests, leave the car in Italy (or Lugano - - perhaps this is one of those cities that operate "either/or" since they are so close to the border).<BR><BR>Lake Como is so wonderful, I think you should allow two nights there minimum, at the expense of cutting down one night from Luzern.<BR><BR>Main reason is the weather. I have never been to either place in April, but it seems like - - based on the vegetation alone - - that Lake Como is one of those miracle paradise climate pockets 8-10 months of the year. It looks semi-tropical/Mediterranean there. Luzern and the surrounding areas are definitely much more "Alpine". It could mean the difference between 45-50 and 65-70 in April.<BR><BR>and I think you are fine with a car (or with shuttles or other private/public transport) to make a morning flight from Zurich, spending the night before in Luzern.<BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:10 PM
Carole

I would like to thank everybody for your help and information. I think we are fine tuning our trip. We are spending 7 nites at the Marriott in Cap d'Ail(thanks to Reward points) and picking up the car to use at the Nice Airport. We will keep the car due to the fact that my husband had knee replacement surgery a few months ago and I don't think he will be up to all that walking. It is only a $58 drop charge. We will depart France and drive to Torino (to see the Shroud of Turin) and then on to Milan to see the Duomo and the Galleria. Then leave there and drive to Lake Como area and stay there for three nites. Do you think that is too much in one day? We will depart Lake Como and drive to Luzerne and perhaps stay in Weggis, Vitznau or Brunnen. To stay in the old town I think might be too much walking for the old guy - plus I am told the hotels might be a little more reasonable. There we look forward to doing the walking tour (if he can do it), a ferry trip on the lake, the Golden Triangle trip to the top of Mt. Pilates and Mt. Rigi. We will bring our luggage to the train station the day before and check it to the Zurich airport and then drive up that next morning to depart on a 10:00 a.m. flight. Well guys, what do you think? Do we have a trip here or not? Any suggestions? Again, thanks to all for your help. Bob, I look forward to your helping me on the next trip.<BR>Carole

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:51 PM
Jan

It sounds like you have it finally planned.....a trip across lake luzerne, up Mt Pilates by the rail and down by the chairlift are a must! Enjoy your holiday!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:11 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Carole, You have done your homework and it will be a great trip. The only change I would make is to skip Milan with the car--very hard to drive in Milan. It would be possible as a day trip from Como---hydrofoil to Como and train to Milan. However, you sound as if you are resourceful. Good luck !

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:42 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>