France-Italy Itinerary Approval Needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping to book my AA tickets (using miles) at the end of this month. Need the final opinions on my itinerary.

Arrive (from DFW) in Rome Aug. 29 am - Stay here for 5 nights.
9/3 - Depart early am for Venice by train. Spend 3 nights here.

9/6 - Depart early am for Avignon by train. Here is where I have a question - I realize we'll be on the train ALL day with this option, but there is no overnight train to Avignon. Would I be better off to take the overnight train (so we'd actually leave on 9/5) from Venice to Nice and catch a morning train from Nice to Avignon? I don't think that option saves us any $$ (vs. the extra hotel night) but it would give us an extra half-day in Provence..

Either way, we'll spend 3 nights in St. Remy.

9/9 - Depart from Avignon to Paris by train. Spend 6 fabulous nights in Paris, then fly home from here!

We may shave off a day in Rome or Paris, depending on my husband's willingness to make this an almost-3 week trip!

Advice? Opinions? Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 07:42 AM

You posted this today, 9-16-06, and your leaving on August 29th? Is that correct???????
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 07:59 AM
ira

Hi em,

>Depart early am for Avignon by train.

There is a 22:52 train from Venice San Lucia to Avignon, with changes in Genoa and Nice.

The morning train leaves at 06:20.

The night train requires a change in Genoa at 05:20.

Lousy choices.

Also check http://tinyurl.com/je7n8 for other possibilities.

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

This is for 2007. Sorry, meant to include that!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 08:33 AM

What about flying from Venice-Nice? AlpiEagles flies that route. You could then spend the night in Nice and take a train the following morning from Nice-Avignon.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM

If doing that all by rail and not going the discounted PREM tickets route look into the France-Italy railpass - starts at 4 days of unlimited travel in a 2 month period (flexipass) for $289 p.p. with extra days at just $32/day p.p. Check www.railsaver.com to see if a pass is warranted for your travel plans; for passes i always recommend BETS (800-441-2387; www.budgeteuropetravel.com) for their expertise in my long experience with them - whoever you talk to there will have traveled years themselves on trains in these countries - something you'll find nowhere else. But along with the pass you should note that on the Rome to Venice Eurostar train passholders still must pay about $15 extra - the pass covers the fare on IC trains and you pay a supplement for the Eurostar train that is the fastest links on this route. And on the Venice-Nice night train (I think this route makes sense) the pass covers the train fare but not optional sleeping accommodations. For convenience you may want to book this train when you buy you pass -potentially could be hard to get on.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

I checked the railsaver site and it did say the France-Italy pass would save me money. If I'm reading your post (and others on the forum) correctly, we should expect to pay a small amount extra for reservations on the Rome-Venice leg and the Avignon-Paris leg, and then a higher amount for the sleeper train?
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Yes, about $15 on the Rome-Venice in either class; 3 euros on Nice-Paris portion p.p. and sleeping charges on the night train. (Night train is only one day on a pass - the 7pm rule - if you leave Venice after 7pm, as is the case, the next day would be your unlimited travel day. i.e. one day on a pass from Venice to Avignon via Nice.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Enjoy your travels, em_axo! You have a wonderful itinerary worked up.

There is one point to bring to your attention. Most of your time in Rome will be during August, the traditionally slow month when many shops and restaurants will be closed.

Many travelers would shift such plans forward by 2 or 3 days so as to arrive in Rome on Aug 31 or Sept 1.

Wherever your travels take you, enjoy the trip!