Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France in October - help - what do I pack for my husband and myself?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 08:22 AM
Helen

Hi. I am planning a trip to the Riviera, Provence, and Paris beginning of October. It is a surprise trip for my husband who doesn't know where we are going, so I am packing for both of us. Do I need warm weather clothes, a jacket, etc. I would appreciate any and all tips you might have!! Thanks, Helen <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 09:44 AM
elvira

From experience: <BR>Windbreaker-type jacket (with a hood,if you can), with a couple of sweaters (a cardigan and a pullover) <BR>Cotton turtlenecks and long-sleeved shirts <BR>Polo shirts or nice T-shirts <BR>Dockers for him, ditto and leggings for you <BR>Two pair of comfortable walking shoes <BR>Extra socks <BR> <BR>Unless you are going to a fancyshmancy restaurant, he won't need a jacket and tie and you won't need a cocktail dress. <BR> <BR>Temps will be in the 50's-60's, and count on rain (hence the hood; take a small travel umbrella too). <BR> <BR>Other than an electric shaver, try to leave the electrical appliances at home. Most hotels provide hairdryers; ask them if they do. Ditto the travel iron/steamer - no one really cares if you're wrinkled... <BR> <BR>It's not warm enough to swim, but on a sunny day, you can catch a few rays on the beach. <BR> <BR>Fall is my favorite time in France - lovely temperatures, and the hordes of tourists have gone home - and the French are in a pretty good mood!

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 01:00 PM
Beth

Helen, <BR> <BR>I totally agree with Elvira. I spent the month of October wandering France and Italy. I found out the hard way what its like to overpack and then have to lug it all around! Keep it simple. A wool blazer with a turtle neck under it was what I wore most of the time. Black pants or leggings will get you through almost everything. Toward the end of October it got quite chilly, so layering was key. I would suggest bringing along a scarf and a pair of leather gloves. Those come in pretty handy and don't take up much room in the suitcase! And as always, don't forget an umbrella. We ran into a week of rain, but it didn't stop us. France in the rain is better than no France at all!! Bon voyage.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 01:19 PM
Richard

Ditto the above, remember the old saw "take half the clothes and twice the money" you think you'll need.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 02:07 PM
I947

IO47

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 02:55 PM
Fran

Helen, I just returned from a trip to Paris and Nice. It rained every day in Paris so take an umbrella. Nice was much warmer than I expected. I would lhave killed for a pair of sandals and was very grateful I'd thrown in a pair of kahki shorts at the last minute. <BR>