Reload this Page >

France in December -- Tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 07:24 PM
ME

My husband and I are planning to spend two weeks in France around Christmas -- half in Paris, half in Loire Valley. We realize there may be reduced hours (or even closings) of some sites (esp. in Loire). Has anyone travelled there during this period? Any particular insights as to weather (or any hints in general)? Thanks!

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 03:29 AM
Kathy

Hi, Have been to Paris twice in December in the past few years.I always bring a winter coat(jacket or knee length)in a dark color,this way the rain water that you kick up from your heels will not land on your coat and only on the black slacks you are wearing. The layered look is great if the weather is good a day or two. The days are usually gray and chilly,sometimes downright cold and damp. I never go out without an umbrella even if the sun is shining which it occasionally does. Expect rain and you won't be disapponted. This is a great time to wander around Paris. My husband and I usually walk everywhere and only take the Metro back to the hotel at the end of the day. The Metro was on strike the entire week during our first trip to our favorite European city. We really got a feel for Paris that trip and know our way around town. You'll miss some great sights if you totally rely on the Metro. You'll have a wonderful time.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 05:42 AM
s.fowler

Be sure to take your sense of humor and a willingness to be flexible. It IS "strike season". In our last two December trips to Paris we have encountered: metro, museum, rail, plane refuelers and air traffic controller work actions of some sort or another. Just when you think you've planned for all possibilities... they come up with another. You just figure a way around it and proceed to enjoy Paris. It IS one reason that I like to stay in a central location so I can walk to what is open

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:32 AM
randy

I traveled once in France from the middle of November through about the first of December. I was able to see plenty of tourist sights during that time and visited a couple of Chateaus. I was exclusively traveling by train and had no problems. Paris did get fairly cold during the time I was there, but the Loire was fine. The chateaus do not have their light shows then.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:36 AM
Lori

If you are going to be there around Christmas the lights in the trees along the Champs Elysee are beautiful. Expect cold weather and if it's not too bad take off a layer. We were there one Christmas when it was pretty mild, in the mid-50's most of the time which was OK, but it can be nasty too. Prepare for rain, accept it and go with it!! Women will be wearing boots, fashionable looking ones, so you might want to consider a pair if you can find something comfortable. It will get dark early but you can adjust your day to that too. The stores in Paris will be decorated for Christmas which is always fun too and there are just a lot less tourists around which makes it nice despite the weather not always being ideal.