France in December

Jul 8th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

France in December

Hello All!

I am a graduate student and a few friends and I have decided we would like to do a mini 26 day trip to France and Portugal. Most of Portugal is planned (if you have suggestions that area MUST SEE or DO please share), but I am struggling with planning France. I know we will spend the first four nights, and about 5 days in Paris. From there we were thinking of doing two other smaller areas up in North/East France because most travel suggestions around December say that is the place to go.

I originally was thinking Reims and Strasbourg... But I read a few things saying Reims has changed a great deal and is now half the wonder it used to be.

So I still think we will stick with Strasbourg- I have to see those Christmas Markets! But I need some suggestions for the final stop... I also began looking into Dijon, and Nancy. Any suggestions? I need help

remember we are students! on a bit of a budget, looking for great day time museums, and a fun night life if possible!
Jul 8th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

we are traveling from dec 15 to jan 8
Jul 8th, 2014, 11:37 PM

We loved Strasbourg at Xmas! We also love Dijon!

How much time do you have for this particular part if your trip?
Jul 9th, 2014, 04:23 AM

The cathedral at Reims is spectacular but there won't be many Champagne houses open for tours and tasting at that time. You might consider spending the time based in Strasbourg and visiting towns in Alsace.
Jul 9th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Jamikins, we have about 2-4 days without plans (between Paris and Strasbourg).
Jul 9th, 2014, 06:15 AM

From there we were thinking of doing two other smaller areas up in North/East France because most travel suggestions around December say that is the place to go.>

Well maybe for Xmas markets but the weather at that time of year IME is grim - often wet and dark and little daylight - I'd head south from Paris to the Riviera area where it will be a lot warmer and southern France in general.

If going to Portugal you could take an overnight train from the Spanish border town of Irun or Hendaye the French border town station to Lisbon - but I would stop also in Spain, where again the weather will be better than the grim greyness of northern/northeastern France.

You could easily go via Barcelona and Madrid en route to Portugal.

If you are under 26 years old you can get a Eurail Youthpass that is a great deal if taking several trains or more - and you most likely will it seems - check out the Eurail Select Youthpass valid in France, Spain and Portugal and one other country of your choice like Italy - easy to hit if in the French Riviera area.

For lots of great info on European trains check out these IMO superb sites: wwwseat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download the latter's free European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of suggested rail routes in those countries.
Jul 9th, 2014, 06:33 AM

We love the atmosphere in Alsace at Xmas - sure you may get a bit of rain or snow but the Xmas markets are wonderful and you can warm up drinking hot mulled wine!

The trains from Reims go through Nancy so you could do a couple nights in each of those places.