Reload this Page >

France-barge trip

Search

France-barge trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 02:32 PM
cynthia

France-barge trip

In early April we are taking a barge trip through the Burgundy area - Dijon, Verdun-sur-le-Doub, Dole, RAnchot,etc. Has anyone any experience on barge trips?

Old Dec 17th, 1999, 02:36 AM
francesca

There is loads of info on this topic, do a search on canal or barge and you'll find my trip report (and several others). If not, please email me.

Old Jan 1st, 2000, 11:24 AM
john

spent 1 week 2 years ago on the barge St. Louis. A fantatic experience. Food and wine were superb.It is owned by an American Co. in (where Else?) St. Louis.The barge holds only 3 couples and is a bit more expensive than the larger ones, but you get what you pay for most times.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 07:16 AM
debbie

Cynthia- this was the highlight of our August trip! Was on La Reine Pedauque (sp.?)and staff was lovely, food excellent wine and cheeses outstanding and loved bike riding alongside barge or venturing into the small towns. Chef Fabribique catered to my no beef preference giving me local fish. He even went to a snail farm to get me some for dinner as he heard me overtalking on how I love escargo. Capt. Max and British wife, Bea, are delightful and we felt very comfortable with them. Captain's final dinner/party was a blast! All arrainged through Betty Springer Cruises. E-mail me for further info.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 07:20 AM
debbie

Cynthia- Afterthought- forgot to mention we started in Dijon and ended in Vandenesse, all Burgundy area. Boat had 12 passengers and this size was perfect for getting to know everybody and talk with them at dinner table.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Dick Hardy

WE did a trip on the Nivernais canal through French Country Waterways - I can't tell you how good I think they are!(including a dinner at a 3-star restaurant!) But the success of any barge trip depends largely on your fellow passenges. There are so few of you and the barges are so small that one bad apple can ruin the whole trip. If you want specifics on our trip,let me know. Dick

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 03:43 PM
pws

have just begun researching barge trips -- are there any which would be good for a single lady in 50's (may or may not travel with another female friend in 40's...are there any which incl airfare from US and cover more than 1 country for 2 wks. - moderate price? Enjoy history, different cultures, good food, meeting intersting people.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 02:07 PM
geo.

Some years ago, we took a trip thru Ireland,Scotland,England,Paris afew days and last a barge trip--a little over a month. the highlight was the barge. We started SEof Paris,from Mombard and ended in Dijon. beautiful countryside,biking along the canals-great food--DONT miss it.