France and Spain in 8 Days???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I want to take our teens (boy 14, girl 16) to France and Spain the summer and we only have 8 nights? Is it possible to get a taste of France and Spain in such a short time? Has anyone done this or can anyone suggest a good itinerary? We are going in mid July. If you recommend just one country, which one! It seems impossible to decide. Thank you for any help.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In 8 days, you cold do some of LOndon an dParis, taking the train bewtween them. Need more time for France and Spain.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:47 PM

For only 8 days and with teens, I would do Paris for 5 nights and the Loire Chateaux or Normandy for 3 nights. Normandy is more convenient for transportation (car) to/from CDG airport. I would not attempt to visit Mt St Michel in mid-July - just see the Normandy countryside & chateaux.

Stu Dudley
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:28 PM

Socomi, advertising is not allowed on Fodors.

To the OP, stick with one country. France would be my choice. Your time is extremely limited, and frankly, staying just in Paris and making a couple of daytrips is not an abnormal approach to such a trip. But if you want to mix it up, do as Stu says and spend 5 days in Paris, then daytrips to Versailles, Chartres, Giverny, and Fontainebleau...or five days in Paris plus a few in Normandy. It's a huge and varied country - 8 days is just a basic overview of a teensy portion of it. Never mind trying to "do" two entire European countries in that teensy timeslot.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:50 AM
ira

Hi P,

>Is it possible to get a taste of France and Spain in such a short time? <

Sure.

Would you also offer them one peanut?

I suggest choosing one country. It doesn't matter which.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:07 AM

Spain, especially the south, will be quite hot in the summer. Concentrate on France. There is so much to do in Paris and surrounding area that 8 days in definitely not too much.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:17 AM

Agree with everyone above.

Although you could fly into Paris, spend 1/2 your days there, then fly to Barcelona, spend the rest of time there and then fly home directly from Barcelona (or vice versa). The problem with this is the time wasting involved with the transit betweek cities.

I'd pick 1 - either would be great, although Paris is my favourite city in the world so France would be my choice. Why dont you let them pick the country?