Search

Sorrento or Positano

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento or Positano

Hello,

I stayed a week in Positano 15 years ago with day trips to Sorrento, Ravello and Capri. Traveling to the Amalfi Coast September 13 - 18 after visiting Venice and Bologna. It's my boyfriend's first trip to Europe and I'm torn between Positano, which I am familiar with, or staying in Sorrento. Any advice or thoughts are welcome. I need to make a decision.

Thank you
Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 02:14 PM

Sorrento is NO Positano - on a hill above the sea that cannot be seen from much of the town - just a tiny seafront beach area BUT if going to Pomeii, Herculaneum, Capri or Ischia (which some like as much or more than Capri) - or Naples on day trips then Sorrento is much more a utilitarian base but if wanting to concentrate on the Amalfi - Ravello, Amalfi, etc Positano is a great base.

Services to the islands are much more frequent from Sorrento than Positano and Pompeii and Herculaneum are just short train rides away - Positano is an hour or more bus ride from Sorrento - boats run there to but still a long way to connect with boats to Capri or Ischia or trains to Pompeii or Herculaneum.

But Positano is a picture-postcard seaside town - Sorrento a well-equipped and very pleasant town just without from much of it those idyllic sea views.
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can have beautiful views of the Bay of Naples, the city of Naples (esp. at night) and Mt. Vesuvius from some hotels in Sorrento.
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 07:45 AM

but still Sorrento as a town is no Positano - nestled right on the sea with the sea in full view from anywhere in town - when I stayed in Sorrento from the main part of town you'd never know the sea was there - but yes from some hotels the view is marvelous.
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 08:47 AM
ekc

Since I stay in Positano for a week each year, my advice (obvs) would be to stay in Positano. It is a gorgeous town unlike any other, and a great spot to relax and end your vacation. However, if your main goal is to see Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples, then Sorrento makes more sense.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I booked a villa in Positano with a view of the sea and an overnight in Capri.