Reload this Page >

Fowler owes some itineraries, suggestions and apologies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 04:22 PM
wes fowler

Today I upgraded my Windows software. In doing so, I've found that all of my Email files and correspondents' addresses have vanished into the ether. I know I owe "Tom" some comments regarding Bavaria and the Rhine Valley, "Gwen" comments and suggestions regarding Belgium, particularly Bruges and any number of other people responses to their queries. If you are one of my "lost" correspondents awaiting a response from me, please Email me so I can pick up where I left off.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 05:42 PM
UGA

One would think that a Tech-ie would be able to avoid such mundane technicalities . . . but keep the good words coming!

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 06:01 PM
Bob Brown

I would tend to blame it more on the vagaries of Microsoft. Windows 98 is not the answer to a maiden's prayer. <BR>With 98, even a 200 mhz chip in 96 m of RAM is sluggish. I had to install 98 to run some hotshot software that did not like 95, and I wish to heck I hadn't. <BR>And lord deliver me from Internet Explorer! After four tries with that thing I downloaded 4.7 of Netscape.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 07:22 PM
Al

Lots of sympathy, Wes. I lost half of my Mexico trip log this morning when working with Microsoft Word. In goes my pages and pages of luscious prose...and out comes all sorts of weird symbols and heiroglyphics. I wonder if Bill Gates knows how many of us out here in cyberland are less than happy with his stuff.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 04:17 AM
Dan

Why is it that when I go to Fodors using Netscape I can't see people's e-mail addresses, but when I use Internet Explorer I can? (Yes, I have both for some reason.) <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 05:38 AM
Paulo

Dan, what version of Netscape do you have? I had the same problem before I upgraded it. It appears that email addresses are java script encoded to turn life (supposedly) more difficult for spammers. Netscape version 3.x, for instance, although supporting java script had problems with Fodor's email addresses ... If I wanted to see them I had to disable/enable it. Now, with the Communicator version 4.51 I have no more problems. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 11:55 AM
Dan

<BR>Paulo: I have Netscape Navigator 3 and Internet Explorer 4.0

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:25 PM
Paulo

Well Dan, I had the Netscape Navigator Gold 3.01 ... But the problems I had may be just the same you have. <BR> <BR>Just for kicks, visit the Forum by using your Netscape and click in any subject line. You'd be seeing () after poster names ... Now, on the tool bar, click Options and then Network Preferences. Now choose Languages and just click the OK button. Fodor's page should refresh and you should be able to see the emails ... <BR> <BR>The problem is that you'd have to go this procedure every time you open a new forum's subject line ... This is actually a bug with Netscape 3.xx. The JavaScript function is not working as it should ... too bad! <BR> <BR>When I got tired of going through the above procedure everytime I wanted to see the email addresses I just got an update of the browser. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:32 PM
Paulo

Oops ... forgot something, Dan. You must enable the JavaScript function first in case it's not enabled. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>