Reload this Page >

Four Days in Paris- How to see it all?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Terry

We will be arriving in Paris at 7:30 am on a Thursday and will be flying home at 1:30 pm on Monday, giving us four full days! We want to see EVERYTHING in the city, and get to Versailles as well! Can anyone suggest the BEST WAY to map out our route so that we can hit all the high points in this amount of time? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks! PS- We are early risers so we plan to start our days nice and early!

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Rex

every THING? You can't see everything in the Louvre. Not in four weeks. <BR> <BR>every rat in every sewer? every croissant in every boulangerie? every movie in every cinema? is your French that good to understand them all? <BR> <BR>Your message is 88 words long. How long shjould an answer from one of us "experts" be? Even a slim guide book of Paris lists 192 MAJOR attractions. Everyone of these would be on SOMEbody's list of high points. You MIGHT be able to see all of these in a police helicopter in four days, if going INSIDE them doesn't count. <BR> <BR>I answer a lot of questions here, Terry, and every once in a while, I write a cranky reply to a newcomer like you who made a minor mistake capitalizing one WRONG word ("EVERYTHING"). <BR> <BR>But my point is that if you want to be VERY, VERY ambitious and pack so much (too much?) into this short whirlwind visit to this city that can't be "seen" in a lifetime, then you have to show us you're going to be ambitious in your research WITH "us" as well. <BR> <BR>On the inside cover of the Eyewitness Guide to Paris, there are fourteen "Paris' star sights" shown on a map - - in alphabetic order, they are: <BR> <BR>Arc de Triomphe <BR>Cimetiere du Montparnasse <BR>Dome Church <BR>Eiffel Tower <BR>Musee Carnavelet <BR>Musee de Cluny <BR>Musee du Louvre <BR>Musee d'Orsay <BR>Musee Picasso <BR>Notre Dame <BR>Pantheon <BR>Pompidou Center <BR>Sacre Coeur <BR>Sainte Chappelle <BR> <BR>Even if I agreed entirely with this list, I can't imagine seeing all of just these fourteen things in four days, with Versailles as well - - and that doesn't count a single restaurant, or sidewalk cafe, or les bouquinistes, les bateaux mouches, l'Opera, or ... well, you get the point. <BR> <BR>So, get a book, Terry. Spend two hours and browse/read it cover to cover. Come back here with a list of 9, or 12 or 24 things you MOST want to see, and we will try to assemble a logistical plan for you. <BR> <BR>Or just follow your nose... <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex, the resident Pompous Ass <BR>in 351 words... <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Meg

Tery -- I can't tell you how to map it out -- but you must go to the Rodin Sculpture Garden, you must go to the top of the Eiffel Tour with a handosme French man and you should enjoy some orangina in Tuiliere Gardens! And remember you should just soak it up -- if you really love Paris -- you'll go back! Meg

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Sue

Rex, here I sit with 10 guide books on Paris/France plus Gourmet magazine and Fodor's on-line miniguide...and I don't know where to start. Six days in Paris next month and I want to make the most of them. Here's my list of wanna-do's. Can you help me put them together into a good 6-day plan? (Firt time in Paris - no surprises in the list.) <BR>Eiffel Tower <BR>Notre Dame <BR>Louvre <BR>Musee D'Orsay <BR>Arc D'Triomphe <BR>Pompidou Centre <BR>Champs Elysees <BR>A taste of the Marais, Latin Quarter and St. Germain des Pres areas <BR>Rue de Rivoli <BR>Catacombs <BR>At least one palais (can you suggest a good one?) <BR>Some great shopping, including an outdoor market? <BR>Some great dining <BR>Lots of walking <BR>A boat ride <BR> <BR>What am I missing? What can I omit? How to assemble these into a sensible itinerary? What's you favorite guide book? <BR>Thanks. <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree with Rex and Meg (and I also highly recommend the Eyewitness travel guide). Forget about breathlessly running around to see EVERYTHING. When you are finished, all you will have accomplished is to have a cookie-cutter tourist experience and a full checklist. Take your time. Sure, absolutely, see some of the "biggees". But IMHO, it's far more important to make Paris your own with lingering meals, eternal cups of coffee as you loaf in cafes, fresh baguettes and long walks. You'll see plenty; you'll EXPERIENCE more. You can always return. (I can probably take a long weekend in Paris for about the same as what it would cost me to spend it in downtown Omaha. Now THINK about that!)

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 06:36 PM
Bob Brown

In my trips to Paris I have learned one thing: I need to go back because there is more to see and do. <BR>I cringe when I read about people wanting to rush and see "everything" in Paris. You cannot, if for no other reason than some of it hasn't happened yet. You need to save time to let Paris unfold for you with street scenes and people interacting. I don't understand a lot of French, but life in Paris continually unfolds. The guide books only point out the buildings and the artifacts in museums. There is more to the city than that.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Rex

Sue, <BR> <BR>You don't know how to start? I don't know how to reply - - because it's a tall order. And the truth is, I've never spent six days continuously in Paris (nor in any city anywhere, on vacation - - without working), that I can recall. I've been to Paris about 7 times, 2 or 3 (non-working) days at a time, and I suspect that I could go another 7 times, and not run out of new things to see and do. I do love Paris, even if I am not entirely a "city" person - - and I really love the hundred mile circle of France around Paris. <BR> <BR>If I did travel this way (go and stay put for six days), I might use the ("Richard Simmons?") "deal-a-day" approach - - the weather, your mood and energy levels, and local happenings are likely to influence what you do on what days. So make up some full-day or half-day plans and pick one out of the cookie jar til your time is up. <BR> <BR>Be prepared for the following: you will take more time or less time at some places than you expected, and might even want to go back (especially relevant if you like to shop) to one or more places. <BR> <BR>I think you have one minor omission: Sacre Coeur and Montmartre. I recommend this for a better weather day, and it can fit fine with some place that is not nearby (in the morning, for example), then head there at 2 or 3 pm, planning on staying there through sunset and perhaps even dinner. <BR> <BR>I could easily write a half dozen (or more) additional paragraphs on this, so I will come back, in installments. <BR> <BR>Additional segments will be: <BR> <BR>Musee d'Orsay (including eating there) <BR>Louvre, incuding le Carrousel du Louvre <BR>ET, A d T and les CE... or maybe <BR>ET and the Seine... or maybe <BR>les bouquinistes and walking the Seine <BR>ND (and Sainte Chappelle) <BR>Versailles (or alternatives) <BR>Restaurants <BR>Picking a hotel <BR> <BR>And there are people here who know Paris a hundred times better than I do. <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Jim Rosenberg

OMG, it's Rex on the INSTALLMENT PLAN! Terry, do you see what you've done now?

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Rex

hmmm... Jim says we have to take it "off the board", Sue... <BR> <BR>my public denied... <BR> <BR>my ego bruised again... <BR> <BR>oh, what are the chances for recovery? <BR> <BR>wink...

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 08:30 PM
adrienne

Terry/Sue, <BR> <BR>For what it’s worth, here’s my (somewht incomplete) itinerary for six days in Paris in June. This is my sixth time but will be with a first timer so I’ll be repeating things I’ve done before. I’m also including 8 things I’ve never done. <BR> <BR>Day 1 (really ½ day) – Sewers, boat on the Seine, Louvre <BR>Day 2 – Mass at St-Sulpice, Deportation Memorial, Ste-Chappelle, Concergerie, Notre Dame, Pere Lachaise Cemetary, <BR>Day 3 – Shopping, Fragonard Perfume Factory, Eiffel Tower <BR>Day 4 – Rue Moufftard street market, Mosque, Roman Arena, Pantheon <BR>Day 5 – Versailles <BR>Day 6 – Canal St-Martin, Carnavalet Museum, Montmartre/Sacre Coeur <BR>Day 7 – whatever we want to do that we missed <BR> <BR>I have a list of about 20 more things I’d like to fit in. This is just a guide since I find I always change the itinerary around depending on mood and weather. I’ve tried to group things in terms of location, i.e., the first 5 thing on day 2 are very close to each other. <BR> <BR>My best advice is to read a few guide books, pick your top 10 things to do that interest you, make 5 of these things “must sees” and think about all the things you have to look forward to in the future. <BR> <BR>Adrienne <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 02:03 AM
incognito

Rex, this is a serious suggestion to you. A bit like a disciplinary action. <BR>You need to reflect on the valid comments people have posted about how you answer people's queries. <BR>A wise person (certainly not you) once said.."no question is stupid, better to look like an idiot for a moment than a lifetime" <BR>Who died and made you chief of all travel knowledge? <BR>You are extremely boring in your replies and what's the bet you have no real life. <BR>You must be the biggest twit I have ever read. <BR>Your up there with Clinton, Hitler, Mussolini... <BR>stop ruining this forum or better yet create your own..

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 03:34 AM
Rex

I used to worry about how and whether to respond to anonymous cowards like this, but such messages have become words of encouragement to me. Like raindrops on a frog's back... <BR> <BR>I have a busy day today... alas... I will not be here so much today. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Donna

My recommendation would be to photocopy a one page map of Paris and highlight all the places you want to visit. You may want to plot restaurants on it as well. Note days closed and opening times, so you can go to places that close earlier first.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Now, now, Rex. I was only kidding!

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Shanna

Rex, pls ignore the detractors. You - and others - have good information to give and I appreciate it. You - and others - also have opinions; so, who doesn't? I can be a positive raver, of the stiletto between the ribs type, and would probably get myself in deep trouble if I weren't on this board at work and don't have that much time. Back to the grind . . . .

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 09:04 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>to add on to the well-intentioned advice, imo, that has already been offered: <BR>Almost any standard guidebook has suggestions for itineraries that last x number of days, plus walking routes to be as efficient as possible. <BR>When people don't know each other it is silly for me to suggest what I would want to do, what's important is what YOU want to do. <BR>For a first, short trip <BR>I would put the following at the end of the priority list but that reflects my priorities, not necessarily yours <BR>Montparnasse Cemetery (or any of the cemeteries) <BR>Carnavalet Museum <BR>Sewers <BR>Catacombs <BR>Day 1: You're very tired. Keep moving as much as you can, imo a boat ride or a museum visit for me would be sleepy-making however much I were looking forward to them. Take a long long walk and explore a particular neighborhood, including a few relatively short and easy stops. <BR>For example, and this is only one example, start at the Eiffel Tower as early on that first day as possible,your hotel room probably won't be ready anyway so just leave your bags at the hotel. Even if all goes well you probably won't find yourself at the Tower before 10am. If you want to wait in line and go up, go ahead, otherwise keep walking to the Arc de Triomphe. <BR>Then walk down the Champs-Elysees. If you get hungry consult your map or your guidebook or recommendations for cafes on this forum, but avoid most of the restaurants on the Champs because too many are tourist traps, explore the side streets instead.One exception on the Champs is the Laduree salon de the which is not cheap but not too expensive and their pastries and other desserts are memorable. Lunch food varies from steak and chicken to salads and omelets. <BR>After lunch, continue your meander until you reach the Place de la Concorde. Or you can veer off and windowshop in the fabulous stores on rue Faubourg-St-Honore. Depending on your fatigue, you can head back to your hotel and get into your room to freshen up or nap if you must, or you can keep moving for a while and explore more of the right bank, around Place Vendome, rue Royale, rue de Rivoli, etc. If you want to buy perfume at a discount, I like Catherine at <BR>5 rue Castiglione near the entrance to the Intercontinental Hotel, or else <BR>Michel Swiss on rue de la Paix which will bring you to the Opera Garnier which can be appreciated both inside and out. <BR>You will have accomplished quite a bit of soaking up Paris in just your first day. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Karen

Terry, If I only had four days and it was my 1st time to Paris, I would: <BR>go to the top of the Eiffel; <BR>spend 1/2 day in one small area of the Lourve; <BR>go to the beautiful Rodin museum; <BR>see the Notre Dame and St. Chapelle (next to each other); <BR>and at least one day roaming around the Latin <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Terry

To all who took the time to give me a serious and pleasant reply, I thank you! And to Rex, who was extremely rude and obnoxious, never mind, I will figure it out for myself. For your information, I am not a "NEWCOMER" and all the responses to questions I have previously posted have been pleasant and have been very helpful in planning our trip. I dont' want or need assistance from people like you- there was no reason for you to reply at all if your reply couldn't be more civilized and polite. For your information, I have read two guides cover to cover and am still not sure how to plan my time and I was hoping that someone who had been there would be kind enough to give me their suggestions as to how I can hit the higlights in the amount of time I have to spend in Paris. If nothing else, I have learned an important lesson here- people like Rex find it easier to be sarcastic instead of helpful! Have a nice day!

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Caitlin

I think the key is thinking in terms of geography; that is, grouping together things in the same part of town, so you don't have to specnd too much time getting from place to place, and what time you do spend, you can spend walking in the neighborhood and taking it in, rather than back and forth on the metro or whatever. The other thing to do is to take into account what's open later on which days. <BR> <BR>This was the approach we took last spring, and it worked out well. For example, we put together the Musee Picasso, Musee Carnavelet, Place des Vosges, and general strolling in the Marais because they're all close to one another. Likewise, we put together Ste. Chapelle, Notre Dame, the Ile St Loi=uis, and the Pompidou, ending with the Pompidou because it is open in the evening. Another day, we walked around Les Invalides, went to the Musee Rodin, and finished up at the Musee d'Orsay on the night it was open late (Thursday). Of course, each of these days was punctuated by breaks for lunch, a snack at a cafe, etc., and finished with a late dinner (late being the dinner hour in Paris anyway).

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Meg

You may think that your first day is a full day, but you will be tired nonetheless. And, the day you fly home at 1:30 pm is pretty useless for sightseeing (not enough time in Paris) nothing is open when you have to leave for the airport. <BR> <BR>Take the advice of fellow fodorites and plan on coming back. <BR> <BR>I've been to Paris many times. The first trips were just wonderous. My husband was on business and I was alone all day. I don't think I visited the Louvre until my third trip. Just wandering around and drinking it all in was marvelous. I'm going again with a "first time to Paris" friend in September and we have both decided it will be a "real vacation", not a race to see everything in the 8 days we will spend there. If she really loves it, we will go back and see what we missed - because you always miss something. <BR> <BR>I want to thank everyone who has answered above because right now I'm planning our daily (loose) itinerary, and your suggestions have been very helpful - what we want to see inside and outside the city but with a really laid back attitude. What we don't get to see or experience fully, I know we'll do it another time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -