Reload this Page >

Four Days in Galway

Search

Four Days in Galway

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 06:42 AM
Scott

Four Days in Galway

As my first visit to the West Coast of Ireland, I've decided to base myself out of Galway. I'd like to go to Connemara, Cliffs of Moher and possibly the Aran Islands as daytrips to and from Galway. Can anyone recommend what to do in Galway and other places to visit/see that are a daytrip from Galway.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 06:58 AM
Dave

Scott, <BR> <BR>Will you have a car, or are you planning to use Bus Eireann or private coach tours? <BR> <BR>Also, when will you be visiting. Bus schedules are reduced outside of the summer season, and weather can affect ferries to the Aran Islands.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Scott

I will not have a car, so I will be relying on the bus system/coach tours. I did wonder about ferries to Aran Islands. Rough seas I would imagine.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 01:36 PM
shannon

Hi Scott, <BR>Definately try to get out to the Aran Islands. We rented bikes and rode around the island. it poured rain on the way up to the sites on the island and was beautifully sunny on the way down. It is definately a different world on the island. Not much English being spoken by the natives of the island.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 01:38 PM
Shannon

as far as Galway goes...definately eat at McSwiggan's. Really great food and super neat atmosphere. It looks small from outside but it goes back far and has three or four floors. Casual place.

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 03:36 AM
Dave

Here's a repost from a few days ago: <BR> <BR>-------------------------------- <BR> <BR>There are two ways that I know of to get to the Aran Islands, Island Ferries (www.aranislandferries.com) and Doolin Ferries (http://homepage.tinet.ie/~doolinferries). <BR> <BR>Island Ferries does have a scheduled daily winter service from Rossaveal (with bus transfer to/from Galway if necessary) to Inishmor. The fare is 15IRP return. They do not seem to offer inter-island service in winter. <BR> <BR>Doolin ferries departs directly from Galway on Tuesday, Thursday, and in winter. They also offer service from Doolin, but I don't know if it runs in winter. <BR> <BR>In either case, you should keep in mind that ferries may not run in bad weather, so you'll need to be flexible, especially in getting from Aran back to the mainland. <BR> <BR>There are some nice day-trips you can take from Galway. I took two of these offered by a company called Lally (http://www.net-tech.ie/lally-coaches/); there is another company which offers almost identical tours. The tours depart from the Galway tourist office and visit either the Cliffs of Moher/Burren or Connemara. I took, and enjoyed, both. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 07:26 PM
Kathleen

Scott, <BR>The Arans are definitely worth a trip--you can also fly there on Aer Arran. It's a little more expensive, but quicker than the ferry, and the weather doesn't affect it as much. <BR>In Connemara, visit Clifden, a charming little town, and Kylemore Abbey.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Janice

Dear Scott, <BR>I just got back from Ireland - had a wonderful time. But I have one little bit of advice: If you want to go to sleep early, (like before 2 a.m. be absolutely certain that your hotel room is not anywhere near the entrance to a pub. We stayed in a very nice hotel in Galway (also in Dingle) and in both cases our room was above the pub and its entrance - lovely if you want to listen to people singing the Eagle's greatest hits at midnight - not really great if you want to hit the road early to sightsee. <BR>But you will have a wonderful time - Ireland and the Irish are incomparable.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 05:51 AM
Judy

Uh oh, Janice, Did you stay a Doyles in Dingle? I have reservations there in Aug. for 3 nights. FYI Scott: I am staying at the Victoria Hotel in Galway for 3 nights in Aug./ I am using Galway as a base too...

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 05:51 AM
Annie

Hi Scott: <BR>Enjoy your stay! <BR>If you get to Clifden, please have lunch in Moriarity's. Lovely family run restaurant. Food is excellent and the price decent!

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 05:59 AM
Mary

Scott: <BR>Log onto www.connemara-tourism.org. <BR>They have info about the surrounding area with things to do, place to stay, etc. Have a great trip!

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Lee

HI Scott, <BR>If you go to the tourist office in Galway, they will be able to tell you about day tours in the area. <BR>I took the historical walking tour of Galway leaving from the Tourist office and it was great. The tour guide was wonderful. <BR>When I stopped at the Cliffs of Moher, there were lots of buses there, so I'm sure you can take a tour there. Also tours right from Galway City to the Aran Islands. <BR>I agree, Cliften is a great town to see and that whole region. <BR>I stayed at a great B&B in Lower Salthill that was about a 20 minute walk from the centre of town....very quiet. <BR>HOpe you have fun. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Janice

It was the Victoria - we had a beautiful room on the second floor front of the hotel, and the pub entrance was right below our wonderful bay window - and 'til 2 or 3, people singing songs by the Eagles, the Monkees, pretty much any old American pop music - nothing Irish. (not even U2!) It's a nice hotel -I'd just recommend asking for a higher floor toward the back.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 08:18 AM
judy

Janice: Thanks for the info on the Victoria...I will be sure to ask for a room further up and back. I am glad you like you room ...how was the hotel in general??? It lokks nice on their web site....

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 02:31 PM
Debbie

Hi. Just got back on Saturday from a 9 day trip to Ireland. <BR> <BR>We spent the first 2 days in Galway. We stayed at Brennans Yard Hotel ( they have a website) and got a great rate including breakfasts & 1 dinner. 75 pps per night. It is only a couple of blocks from the tourist office and right off the water. It is not glamorous, but nice. <BR> <BR>We did a day trip to Kylemore Abbey (by car) and enjoyed it. <BR> <BR>- I have a post going on the main europe page with details from the trip - I tried to link it to the Ireland sub-group but it didn't take. - <BR> <BR>Debbie <BR> <BR>