Search

Fountains Abbey

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Shirley

Fountains Abbey

I just read the "Edinburgh to York" message. We are planning to make the same trip on June 1. After stopping at Hadrians wall, we planned to go to Fountains Abbey and Studley Gardens. No one mentioned either of those places on the other message. Is it because no one has been there or they weren't worth visiting or ??? From everything we have read, both places look like they deserve a visit. Your input please. Thank you.

Old May 4th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Tanyia

My husband and I absolutely adored Fountains Abbey. I think it's a definite must! Can't tell you anything about Studley Gardens...

Old May 4th, 2002, 11:36 AM
greg

We spent about 3 hours in the park, Fountains Abbey, Studley Royal Estate upto the lake, and had a lunch. We did not have time (or energy left) to walk to Deer Park, Seven Bridges Walk area of the park. We did not have time to visit St Mary's Church or Anne Boleyn's Seat. <BR><BR>We were there in July and most of the people near the Lake looked like locals enjoying a picnic. The Fountains Abbey area was not crowded at all. <BR><BR>The visitor center where you get off the car is at higher ground than the Fountains Abbey, which is located near the bottom of the hill. So you walk down a slope to the Abbey and park area. The neo classical buildings are scattered along the valley at various heights.<BR><BR>The place is not touristy, perhaps because it is out of the way.

Old May 4th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Ani

Fountains Abbey was quite possible the most magical experience my husband and I had while in Britain-it was a last minute detour and just unbelievably amazing. I do have pictures (along with the rest of our trip) on our website:<BR>www.panteravb.com there are 2 groupings of Fountains Abbey pics...

Old May 4th, 2002, 07:06 PM
janis

Fountains Abbey & Studley Royal (not Studley Gardens) should not be missed. They are magical places. (Tanyia - if you were at Fountains Abbey you were also at Studley Royal)