Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

FORTUNA BOTEL, Budapest, anybody stayed there? Feedback Please

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 01:38 PM
john

Found this Fortuna Botel on the web and wondering if anyone's stayed there. It is a hostel in a boat on the Danube River near Margrit Island.<BR>Especially interested in the cleanliness and noise level while sleeping. <BR>Would you recommend it or not? We are mature travellers, not teenagers.<BR>Thank you in advance for your help. J<BR><BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:27 PM
sable

This sounds like an interesting place to stay. Hope someone writes a note on it.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Leslie

John, I will be in Budapest next week. Feel free to email me after March 25th and if I am near there, I will check it out for you.<BR><BR>Otherwise, I am staying at the Kalmar Bed & Breakfast. If you do a search on "Kalmar" you can read about the bed & breakfast and find the web site for the booking agent.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 06:17 PM
sue

Does anyone who lives in Budapest know anything about this hostel?<BR>Please reply. Thanks

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:29 PM
sue

topping

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Eva

The road alongside the Danube is always very busy, noisy. Morning rush hrs start at 7am. Sorry, I don't know about the cleanliness.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 10:16 AM
john

Thank you Eva for the info. on the noise level along the Danube River.<BR><BR>Does anyone else have any more specific info. about this Botel? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.<BR>Or if you have any recommendations for an inexpensive place ($30 ish) to stay.<BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 09:56 AM
john

Just trying to get some info. - to the top

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Leslie

John, went by the Fortuna Botel seems okay, but the area is very noisy. I would find somewhere else to stay. I am in Budapest now, and the weather has been perfect -- about 64 degrees. Lots of museums to see, and it is so pleasant outdoors. Parliament is gorgeous, as is the castle district and the Fisherman's Bastion. Make sure you take the bus to Statue Park to see all of the communist statues.<BR><BR>You might want to stay at the B&B that I am staying directly behind the Gellert Hotel and the Freedom Bridge. It is called the Kalmar B&B, and it is fabulous. Including breakfast and VAT, the cost is 41 Euros per night. Can't say enough nice things about this place. Huge rooms, excellent beds, great bathrooms, and wonderful breakfasts. The hosts cannot do enough things for their guests. In fact, the owner's wife offered to do my laundry. I want to take the pillows home from the bed, as they are the most comfortable that I have ever slept on and the owner's wife took me to a store to buy them -- really cheap about $5 for king-sized down pillows.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 03:40 AM
anita

Hi John,<BR><BR>I live in Budapest and have seen Botel Fortuna inside. I can tell you it is not a hostel but a 3-star hotel. It is nice and clean and has a great restaurant & pub. The rooms are quite small (originally were cabins), but they are refurbished and pleasant.<BR>It is located next to a noisy road, but you can sleep if you ask for a river-viewed room (facing the Margaret island). The city center is quite close. Double room is for EUR 60 per night + 3% tax, breakfast is included.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Anita

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:49 PM
john

Anita,<BR>Thank you for your response. From the internet site I found the Botel on, it is advertised as having hostel, double rooms with shared bath for about $12.00 US p.p. Perhaps they also have ensuite rooms on the same botel which would then be called hotel rooms. I am perplexed now. Any further info. from anyone would be helpful. Hopefully maybe someone who lives in Budapest can investigate for me. Thanks.<BR>John

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Leslie

John, you can trust anything that both Eva and Anita have to say. I met them both last week while I was in Budapest, and I found them both to be very wise and experienced. Anita may have more information on the Fortuna Botel than Eva, as Anita is a booking agent, and Eva is a tour guide. Anita was very honest about the B&B I stayed at in Budapest, and therefore, I would rely on her good judgment.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:55 PM
anita

Leslie, thanks for your nice words!<BR>John, you are right, Botel Fortuna has such rooms as well, on the ground floor.<BR>These rooms are nice, but have no private bathrooms/toilets. There is not any view of them, either. However if you choose a room like this (yes, for a hostel price)you will get the same service than you could get at a "normal" room. (e.g. breakfast is the same)<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>Anita

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 10:36 AM
john

Anita and All,<BR>Thank you for your information.<BR>Still undecided where to stay. May wait until we are in country to explore the Botel.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 01:57 PM
john

to the top<BR><BR>Any more info. appreciated.