Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Force majeure: guess we'll all be learning about this term

Sep 12th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Rex

from www.onetravel.com (and thanks - - claye - - for steering me to this)

Airports Closed!
Force Majeure Event Applies
---------------------------------------------
Dateline : September 11, 2001
Terry Trippler, OneTravel.com Airport Expert
---------------------------------------------

With this morning’s closure of the nation’s airports, all flights have been cancelled due to a “Force Majeure Event”. The airlines' stated rules regarding such an event are clear. A Force Majeure Event is …

…any government regulation, demand, or requirement …

When your flight is canceled due to a “Force Majeure Event”, you have the choice to (1) have your ticket refunded (even non-refundable tickets), or (2) accept any alternate arrangements offered by the airline.

You are not entitled to any compensation. You are not entitled to any amenities.

You are only entitled to a refund or you must accept whatever alternate arrangements offered by the airline.

In this case, however, it is likely that the airlines will do as much as possible to assist and reaccommodate passengers when the FAA allows flights to resume.

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 12th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Cindy

Yes, a lot of people will be tripped up by force majeure limitations.

I'll add that some/many/all (?)insurance policies have exceptions for acts of war and/or acts of terrorism. Perhaps insurers will decide to waive this restriction for humanitarian reasons?

Sep 12th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Angered

Rex:
You're a heartless, uncaring idiot!
There are other things to be concerned with at this time of mourning.

Sep 12th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Rex

No name-calling will cause me to "strike back" today. If my post was insensitive, I apologize.

And yes, I seek escapism on this board, at times. I am seeking to escape from all this other horrible news by thinking about travel.

But hundreds, thousands of travelers need information about what to do, regarding their canceled flights yesterday and today.

Some were already on their way to funerals for someone who died (unrelated to this) on Sunday or Monday; some were perhaps hoping to make a trip to see a sick family member one last time, and now will need to decide what to do.

I used airlines for both of these reasons just last month. I don't know what I would do today. Drive, I guess.

If discussion of travel on this board, today, means that the people here on this board are all too insensitive, then none of "us" is forcing you to come here, or to read any of this.

Peace.

Sep 12th, 2001, 05:21 AM
s.fowler

This morning my husband teaches the second session of his intro the ethics class. This afternoon I do the same for my Intro to philosophy class. They call them "teaching moments" -- these events that occur. This one will be the hardest I have ever had.

Sep 12th, 2001, 05:22 AM
s.fowler

Irony is often a way to deal with pain -- I took Rex's post as being, at least in part, ironical. Sort of -- guess what we learned today((( Obviously we have learned many things that we would rather not have learned.

Sep 12th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Buddy

Thank you, Rex. Even though I have no travel plans, I WAS wondering what those people who do are going to be able to do now.

Life goes on--even after a terrorist strike.

Leave Rex alone. He helps many, many people on this site. His post answered questions many of us had.

Sep 12th, 2001, 07:34 AM
topping

to the top

Sep 12th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Marc David Miller

Rex,

Thanks for the posting. We live in a rational society governed by morals and laws, and it is nice to be reminded that even during disaster and tragedy laws have significance and give structure to our daily lives. The alternative is a society governed by whims and compulsions and pure self-interest.

Sep 12th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Jim

Thanks for your info Rex.
I am relying on any info I get from fellow fodorites since at this time.i'm booked on an alitalia flight that's supposed to leave tonight. They have no mention of anything helpful. All they say is call our 800 number which is such BS. That number is like trying to reach the pope on a normal day. I am bewildered that any airline can be that insensitive to peoples needs.

Sep 12th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Jim

A friend of mine said that alitalia had posted a message directing customers to their 800 number. WRONG
There is no menetion of ANYTHING.
That's more like them.
By now you're all saying why did you book them. Well for one, I booked it through ORBITZ. Two the flights connecting in Rome got me into Catania early. I will fly someone else in the future.

Sep 12th, 2001, 08:11 AM
elvira

Alitalia website gives 877-435-7254 to call after 3pm (no mention of which time zone).

Reuters reports airlines stating they won't schedule anything through 7pm edt today. The FAA has made no statement, other than the noon edt timeline is ixnayed.

FAA site is extremely slow, sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Sep 12th, 2001, 08:17 AM
s.fowler

From BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/bus...00/1539877.stm

Aug 1st, 2002, 08:02 PM
Rex

More reflecting back on the tense decision-making days between September 12 and 14 when we decided to go ahead with the trip.