Reload this Page >

for those that go to Europe in winter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:55 PM
wendy

I know many people go to Europe in winter becuase it is off season and I am one of them. Have you ever thought any place was just TOO cold to enjoy? Would love to hear your experiences.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:00 PM
msa

We went to Scotland (including up north) in February and even with the wind and snow we would do it again.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:09 PM
j

Went to Paris last February....lots of rain but the temp. wasn't too cold. I walked everywhere and was fine as long as I had my gloves, hat, umbrella.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Andrea

No, we haven't found anyplace too cold to enjoy. We LOVED the snow on Christmas Eve in Milan, and have found the (very) cold weather in Russia and Switzerland added to the atmosphere. While it's certainly more pleasant to walk around in nice weather, we had fun bundling up and stopping more frequently in cafes for a nice hot coffee!<BR><BR>I will say, though, that we were very, very disappointed in Nice and Genoa, both of which we visited in December. Genoa in particular was dreadful - cold and drizzly and just looking depressing. We fully realize, however, that we probably saw them at their worst. We're not likely to ever make it back to Genoa (there are so many other places to see in Italy), but will probably give Nice (which was still lovely, but not at its best) another chance in better weather.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Burta

Went to Paris and London in December. Paris was a fairyland of lights. Went to the BBC Christmas Crackers concert in London, which was a great start to the holiday season. Neither was too cold -- just nippy.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Book Chick

Hi Wendy,<BR>I went to Rome in January for two weeks this year. As I am from Michigan, which tends to be quite cold and snowy that time of year, I thought Rome was a treat by contrast. No rain at all, and temps ranging from probably the 40's at night to the 50's most day, even reaching 60 one day!<BR><BR>During graduate school I lived in Florence for a year, and I recall that winter as quite damp and rainy--we had a late spring, but barely a spring at all, as I recall temperatures became hot and dry quickly.<BR><BR>And Andrea, you really should try Nice another time of year, it is quite enjoyable. I used to go up there sometimes with my Florence classmates on long weekends (also to Venice), and we had a "farewell" trip there when we finished our studies at the end of June, and it truly was a little slice of heaven!<BR><BR>BC