Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For Those Of Us Left Behind,...And To Get Us Away From All The Politics!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 08:06 AM
nancy

Dear Fodorites, <BR>Since we are not as fortunate to be in Europe on travels at this moment, (like Beth, Janice, Lauren, Tammy, etc) I was wondering if anyone had a special dish they were planning on making for New Years from their favorite European country? <BR>I have not been to italy yet (this summer,yeah!) but I am planning on making a Lentil dish (from my new italian cookbook) which is considered goodluck to eat New Years. <BR>Anyone else planning on making a special, yummy, New Years dish? (haggis not included) <BR>nancy <BR>

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 08:31 AM
judy

Hi Nancy! Happy New year! It is a family custom to have pork and sauerkraut for New Year's day dinner. I plan to make it Monday...it is delish...FYI, Judy This is a good idea...I love family or cultural customs!

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 08:33 AM
Maira

We are having Pizza leftovers from last night's gathering with friends. It should count, right? For dinner, beef stew. Hey, we are having a snow storm right now, can't get too fancy.....

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Dan

Nancy: on New Year's Eve, we are having prime rib which isn't that interesting, but the Hobo Potatoes dish is from Chris Schlesinger's new cookbook "How to Cook Meat" (he is the owner of East Coast Grill in Cambridge, MA, and The Back Eddy near Westport, MA.) The potatoes are quartered, topped with a mixture of garlic, sage (I think)sour cream, wrapped in foil and roasted with the meat. Happy New Year!

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 01:17 PM
elvira

Duck recipe from a French cookbook (in French - ought to be a hoot); French champagne, pate, and cornichons if I can track them down.<BR><BR>And eggs Benedict - I can hear the arteries clogging now...<BR><BR>Happy New Year, all, and happy trails!

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 01:44 PM
Jayelle

Well, it's not really European, but I'm staying true to my Southern U.S. roots and preparing the traditional black-eyed peas and rice and collard greens for New Years day. These dishes are supposed to bring health and prosperity in the new year.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 01:52 PM
Florence

Since Geneva is an international city, we'll have French duck paté, Japanese curry, English Stilton soaked in Port, African fruit salad, with Swiss white wine, French (Côte Rotie 97) and Spanish (Rioja San Sebastian 87) reds. <BR> <BR>Santé et prospérité à tous !

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 02:31 PM
JaneDoe

We are having our traditional Italian sausage and potatoes! Yum, yum! My mom is 100% Sicilian and a wonderful cook and we reap the benefits of it every year at Christmas time

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 03:09 PM
nancy

Yummy meals in store for tomorrow! <BR>Thanks guys for contributing to this epicurian thread. <BR>Nancy

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 08:02 AM
nancy

More, Please!... <BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 08:19 AM
Judy

Just an addition to my post: Tonite, lots of lobster, magnum of Piper-Heidsick, asparagus w. Hollandaise, ummm heaven....tomorrow, my peasant meal...Life is good...Judy

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 09:39 AM
russ i

Hi Nancy, <BR> <BR>How are the Italian lessons going? Did you ever find someone in your area to chat with? <BR> <BR>I love to cook Italian food, so I made a holiday dinner on Friday for a group of friends. We started with a Roman soup called Straccitella, which is chicken broth with a mixture of egg, breadcrumbs and Romano cheese whisked in. Amazingly easy and so good. This was followed by Veal Milanese, roasted red potatoes and veggies, accomponied by a nice Antinori Chianti. We finish with, clementini (sweet seedless mandarins that we were addicted to in Italy) my homemade Tira mi sù, cantuccini (small Tuscan biscotti) and Vin Santo (an Italian dessert wine for dipping the biscotti). <BR> <BR>Happy eating in the New Year! <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 09:50 AM
tcc

Wow Russ! Any leftovers? That sounds wonderful.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 12:02 PM
nancy

Buona sera Russ, <BR>Che una sopresa! <BR>(I was going to e-you today at the address I had, but I see you have a new one.) <BR>No, I am still senza someone to practice with, but have found a school that has classes!! only an hour away. <BR>I am hoping to start in 2 weeks, but may have to wait until la primavera. <BR>Thank you for that yummy contribution, I ,too, would love some leftovers. <BR>I remember from another thread you posted on, you do lots of yummy italian foods. <BR>per Lei ,auguro un buon l'anno nuovo. <BR>ciao <BR>Nancy

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 12:19 PM
Karen

Buon' anno to you, too, Nancy! Like nearly everyone else here in Pennsylvania Dutch country, my family is going to dine on pork and sauerkraut tomorrow. (We do throw some kielbasa into the pot, for a more ethnic, though still Pennsylvania, flavor.) I ate lentils every New Year's Eve I spent in Rome. They were always accompanied by zampone, a kind of sausage made in the skin of the pig's foot. I have not been able to find this anywhere here. Does anybody have a source? Enjoy your lentils, and may they bring you prosperity in the new year!

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 12:23 PM
russ

Nancy, <BR> <BR>Email me at the old address. I have not been using it since the "artist" spam, after which I learned not to use my real one. If you don't have it any more post here and I will take a chance and give it out. Looking forward to hearing from you. <BR> <BR>P.S. When is your trip? I'm going again in September 2001. Already starting to plan. Ciao.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 01:21 PM
nancy

Russ, <BR>Non posso trovare il suo indirizo (il mio computer aveva un problema grande il mese scorso) <BR>Se desidera continuare il tuo indirizzo un segreto,dunque mi puo spedire il tuo indirizzo. <BR>Questo il mio indirizzo esatto, <BR> molto grazie <BR>nancy

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 01:38 PM
s.fowler

What yummy reading <BR> <BR>I'm making a beef "estoufade" from a small Cordon Bleu cookbook of french regional recipes that santa brought me It includes both green and black olives as well as a whole lot of white wine. The beef didn't brown too well. so it may not look exactly like the picture But it smells GOOD! <BR> <BR>I've been on a roll. Last night I made a mushroom risotto and the night before I made Hungarian "guylas" made with two of the paprikas I brought back from Budapest last summer. <BR> <BR>Tomorrow it's frozen pizza. I'm pooped!

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 03:56 PM
kalena

Un-western but traditional for New Year's day in Hawaii are sashimi (the price sky-rockets right now) and mochi with black bean for good luck and prosperity. Also a mochi soup with Japanese herbs that cures hangovers. For sweets, pears and lychees. We decorate with bamboo (kadomatsu) and narcissus flowers. <BR> <BR>The estoufade sounds fabulous. I pulled out my cordon bleu for a saumon en croute for 20 on christmas eve (whew!)...Tonight it's a small roast and oysters rockefeller, sparklers and champagne. <BR> <BR>Happy feasting, safe driving, and happy 2001 to all! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 04:58 AM
Sheila

For the last 12 year a group of my friends have gone away for New Year together. We have what has become for us a traditional meal<BR><BR>Leek and Potato soup<BR><BR>Roast Beef (except for the year HB went for it and came back with lamb!)<BR>Roast Potatoes<BR>Yorkshire pudding<BR>Brussel sprouts (did you know a travel company ar advertising here with a poster showing a steaming bowl of sprouts and the caption "sometimes you just know it's time to go abroad!")<BR><BR>Trifle<BR><BR>My friend Iain's mum bakes us Black Bun (after years of have a chunk of hers stolen for the party she came to the conclusion we need to have our own) and my friend Caroline's mum send homemade chees from Cornwall.<BR><BR>And then we go firstfooting with shortbread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -