Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

for people who worry about their clothes...

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:28 AM
redrum

I haunted this site during most of the late winter/early spring for a few new tips on travel. I was flabbergasted at the postings from Americans concerning how they might appear to others if they wore certain clothing. I’ve just gotten back from an extended visit to Canada-then England-then France-then England again-then home.

Rest assured all, if you’re a “good dresser” at home you’ll do fine, if not, don’t sweat it.

I had lunch with a French family that I was staying with in Chartres. There were 10 present, + me. I was the ONLY one not wearing blue jeans (including the women), and 5 of the adults were wearing white sneaks.

Jeans were prominent in every country I visited and in every city. Tennis shoes are fast becoming the shoe of choice for casual and every-day wear anywhere that I was.

I saw a fellow in Great Yarmouth with a “letter” jacket with the huge legend, “U.S.A.” he told me he liked the jacket but had never been to the States nor did he have any particular desire to go. I saw many American sports logo caps all over France and England.

GENTLEMEN always remove their hats upon entering any room or building. If you’re going to a fancy restaurant, bistro, theatre, whatever, use common sense and dress appropriately. Otherwise don’t waste your time worrying about it.

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Heather

You're absolutely right. I was reading the postings and I ended up bringing one pair of Jeans and my husband brought two. I wish I brought more jeans. We never had any problems with what we were wearing. On the nights that we went to a fancy dinner we dressed appropriately but there is no need to be wearing black pants and shoes while waiting on a line to see the Louvre

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Cosmo

"GENTLEMEN always remove their hats..."?
What planet are you from? Not here in the States, buddy. That went out with holding a door for someone else, "please", and "thank you."

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:34 PM
JustDontGetIt

This is for people who dress nicely when at home, office or traveling: do not cast your pearls before swine, and likewise, don't waste fashion tips on those who wear jeans, soiled tennies and fannypacks. What they don't understand is that people judge you by how you dress. Doors open, upgrades happen for those who look like they will fit in with the other nice dressers. It is as simple as all that.

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Peter

JustDontGetIt - I don't care about the people who judge me by what I wear, I don't want to go thru the doors that might open because of what I wear and I surely don't want any upgrades that would lower me to the depths I would have to sink in order to fit in with those other nice dressers you speak of.

Cast your pearls on someone else somewhere else. I hope our paths never cross!

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Capo

Personally, I'd rather wear jeans (blue and black) and open doors on my own.

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:40 PM
cd

I asked on this site about black jeans for a medieval banquet in Ireland and got blasted for being an "ugly American". I took my black jeans but did not wear them to the banquet. I wore black slacks instead. But...many people there had jeans on! Also, last week I went to my dentist and had to smile because, yes, you guessed it, she had on black jeans!

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Heather

Capo, thanks for the chuckle.

I've never worried about whether what I pack is appropriate but I *do* worry about how to fit a whole lotta clothes into a carryon (after 3 lost luggage incidents, that's the limit for me). Literally, it's like fitting a mountain into a molehill.

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Lea

Peter and Capo you are just not well dressed men, that's all. Why would you have to sink to dress nicely? What is so hard about wearing spiffy looking clothes? The grunge look of the Pacific Northwest is out after you are 20 years old, unless you are a lumberjack on the job. Capo, dress up a little, I am sure your new girlfriend will appreciate it in the long run and change your underwear too.

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:49 PM
smith

Capo wants to be natural if that means three day old jeans and natural smelling underwear let him be. Just keep your arms down when you are opening those doors.

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Faina

What do you remember about your trip a year or 2 later? Sightseeing? People you met? Food you ate? Hotels you stayed in? I doubt anybody remembers clothes they wore unless they did not feel comfortable. "Comfortable" is the key word. Why do we all go on vacation? Feel great, learn new things and... worry about your pants/dress if they fit in????? Come on, if you wear jeans on weekends why should you give them up for 3 weeks of what supposed to be enjoyment of travelling?

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:32 PM
trying

On my recent visit to Paris, the locals were wearing jeans, among other things. It wasn't black, black, black, as the fashionistas on this forum would have you think.

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Nan

Well on trips to cities in Europe, I do remember what I wore. I remember looking as chic as I can in a black suit and eating in really nice restaurants. I remember feeling comfortable in nice hotels and nice shops, where I had good service. I remember turning heads because I took my nice clothes, nice comfortable clothes. I don't know what you people wear that is so uncomfortable during the day. Is a nice slack suit with nice stylish shoes so uncomfortable? Do you buy them 2 sizes too small or what? I don't get it.

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:50 PM
SharpLooker

Part of preparing for leisure travel is buying a new wardrobe. Pride in appearance isn't a sin as some would have you believe.

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:53 PM
sylvie

Faina, I must disagree about what is remembered! Hotels and meals may be long forgotten, but you and everyone else will remember the clothes you wore on your trip, for the next twenty or fifty years or a hundred, because there they are...in your photos! (Or maybe you don't take photos?)

Ever view photos from your youth or your parents'(assuming it's long past!)? The ones documenting the frumpy outfits and unfortunate hairdos for all history?

How much more unfortunate if this is a souvenir of a cherished travel experience with something exquisitely foreign in the background! Call me vain, I may deserve it, but when I'm a shriveled-up crone in a rocking chair, I'd prefer to have attractive images to jog my memory.

So I'm glad I brought some stylish, flattering (comfortable, wash-and-wear)outfits.

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:54 PM
xxx

Hey Nan,

do you remember anything else about your trip other than how YOU looked? This may be the MOST vain post I have ever read.

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Nan

I was answering a question about what I remember about what I wear. Do you want to read what I remember about the food, the wine, the art, the sculpture, the friends I made, etc? I remember too so vividly what I wore, because of the pictures. I am dressed nicely, is that so bad? I guess I have always taken pride in my looks.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Thyra

Interestingly, I just returned from a vacation in Africa and the majority of tourists we saw were European. We were advised to wear colors that "blend in" with the flora so as not to distract the wildlife etc as well as not to wear white shoes. Though my husband and I did... the majority of European tourists we saw were wearing.. you guessed it.. brightly colored baseball caps, shorts, red and white cross trainers.. huge "belt packs" logo'd sweatshirts etc. etc. I noted that with extreme interest.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Capo

"Spiffy", Lea? With all due respect, I'm not sure I, or anyone else, should be getting fashion lectures from someone who uses the phrase "spiffy looking" clothes.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Lea

Sorry, Capo, I was "talking down" to you. Just a moment of lapse on my part.
Wear what you want, my dear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information