Search

For CMT...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Steve James

For CMT...

Hello CMT, <BR> <BR>I can't post on the other thread for some reason, - so to answer your question... <BR> <BR>I use several Italian search-engines, such as:- iltrovatore.it, virgilio.it, lycos.it... <BR>I'm not sure now which one came up with the answer. (Most drew a blank!) <BR> <BR>I'm afraid I don't know Basilicata at all, - it's one of the few regions of Italy I've never been to. <BR>I've been through Calabria a couple of times by train en route to Sicily, with stops to visit places on the way. I don't know if I'll be able to help, - but ask anyway! <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR>P.S. Was it you who gave me the Basilicata web-site a few weeks ago? If yes, - thankyou very much! It's a nice site. It's just a pity it doesn't get a bit more traffic... <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 05:04 PM
cmt

Dear Steve,<BR><BR>Thanks for posting this info for me. I didn't see it until just now, when I tried doing a search for "Basilicata" under the new system. I guess I wasn't playing on the internet March 15, and then your message must have gotten buried.<BR><BR>You must use some really good search sites. I think I noticed twice that you found some obscure town that I could not find on my Michelin maps or in a www.google.com search.<BR> <BR>Yes, I'm the one who gave you the Basilicata website some time ago. I was surprised and happy to find such a fine site about a poor southern region. Aren't the photos beautiful? I'll be taking a tour there this spring (found out about it on that site), followed by a visit to the little town where my grandmother was born (found the town's hotel on that site,too). The tour was recommended by someone who also has roots in that town, and in fact we have cousins in common (found him on that site as well). <BR><BR>It turns out that the town will be having its big annual festa during the week after my tour ends. Therefore I've decided to stay there four nights instead of one so I can experience the whole thing. (It may be a pretty strange but very interesting experience being an American "alone" in this little traditional town. Apparently my arrival is "news" because already the hotel notified a town official, who offered to send me info by e-mail.)<BR><BR>I already knew about this festa, which is primrily an ancient pagan spring festival of a tree cult, but with Christian overtones (combined with patron saint celebration) because I'd received a few bits of info about it in response to a letter I'd sent to the town about five years ago. But I assumed that I'd miss it. It is called la festa di Sangiuliano or "il maggio" so naturally I thought that it always takes place in maggio, i.e. June. If you're interested, you can read about it on these sites, among others: www.sangiuliano-accettura.org and www.powernet.it/gingen/folclore.htm<BR><BR>If you ever want to know more about Basilicata, you can e-mail me directly. When I come back from my trip I should have plenty of information to share (with the very, very few people who are interested!!!)<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR><BR>Carol

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 08:34 PM
cmt

I meant maggio=May, obviously. It's taking place in June (giugno).

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 07:31 AM
Rex

Carol,<BR><BR>There are three threads with Basilicata in the header in the recent past. Two of them are NOT returned with a search on Basilicata (yes, I know, this is an open invitation for and others to ask me - - how do I know this? - - there are hints below).<BR><BR>This one, last posted on 10/25/2000 has the following URL.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/messages.cfm?fid=2&amp;tid=356864&amp;numresponses =4<BR><BR>And as you can see, 4 responses. It is currently about 11,900 messages deep.<BR><BR>There's a post, also on 10/25/2000 with NO responses; it's likewise about 11,900 messages deep.<BR><BR>But the best one with 17 responses currently, last posted on 11/07/2000 is only 11,200 messages deep. Do you need to see it again? If you do, let me know, and I will go "diving" for its URL. It will only take me a few minutes time and effort.<BR><BR>I know how.<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 08:10 AM
StCirq

CMT:<BR><BR>I'll be interested in your report on the festa del maggio. A few years ago I wrote an article on the fête de la mai, which is a celebration in France that now can take place at any time of year. It, too, dates back to a pagan tree cult relating to fertility, but in France now is generally celebrated not in connection with fertility but in the election of local politicians. I'd be interested to hear what the Italian equivalent is.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 04:28 PM
cmt

I responded directly to StCirq re the above, but that gave me an idea: If anyone else who stumbles upon this thread has observed other "tree cult" festivals in Europe that may or may not have become combined with other religious or secular celebrations, would you let me know? And if you have a special interest in knowing more about Accettura's folk festival, "Il Maggio", I might be able to share more information with you. (I realize the title of this thread is strange and there's no clue that the posts will be about traditional European folk festivals, but who knows -- maybe someone with a great interest in this topic will just happen to stop by this cluster of postings.)

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 02:07 AM
Steve

Hello again Carol, St. Cirq ...<BR><BR>There are a number of these 'folklore' festivals in May, I think.<BR><BR>The most famous which comes to mind is the 'Corsa dei Ceri' in Gubbio, which involves 3 teams racing through the streets carrying huge tree trunks or wooden poles, which symbolise candles.<BR>The origins of the festival are thought to relate to ancient heathen fertility rights.<BR>The race finishes at the church of Sant'Ubaldo, alt. 800m.<BR>This festival takes place on 15th May.<BR><BR>Then there is the 'Calendimaggio' Festival in Assisi in the first week of May, ( - not sure whether this one involves trees, though). It's a 3-day festival...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>P.S. Carol, - thanks for your reply.<BR>Buon viaggio!