Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For all you non smokers, Italy is changing.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:49 AM
micia

I see from time to time people talking about smoke and Italy is one of the countries mentioned frequently.<BR>I thought you would like to know, Italy is really making big changes.<BR>It has been on the news here for two nights now showing that the carabinieri (military police that are everywhere, not just for the military)are making rounds in public places to see if they can catch any smoking violaters. They are handing out expensive tickets to anyone they catch.<BR>Another big plus, they have even been in the airports checking in the bathrooms and lounges, etc.<BR>I couldn't believe it, since that is where everyone hides in Rome and in Malpensa they don't even hide.<BR>The deal is, the law now saws that if anyone lights up in a public local, then you are to call the carabinieri and they will come.<BR>I think many people are going to be very happy about this.<BR><BR>I'm still holding out to be happy till Italy joins Finland in getting rid of the 1 and 2 cent euro.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:38 AM
hamlet

I'm interested to see how this plays out and if the attitudes and behaviors change away from big metro areas. When I was in Italy 2 years ago I witnessed a doctor smoking in his patient's waiting room and in his office/examination room as he spoke with his patients! People also had no problem smoking in the immediate presence of babies and children, let alone others. This happened to be in a small town - not to make sweeping generalizations but a lot of the population there have not been exposed to anti-smoking campaigns or do not seem to care if they do know. The smoking is just part of their culture. While I have never been a smoker, smoke doesn't personally bother me too much if it's in limited doses. However, it did bother me to see a doctor smoking in his office while meeting with patients and to see adults/parents smoking with babies around.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Capo

Hi Micia. Do you live in Italy? If you do, perhaps you could answer a question for me. <BR><BR>On the train from Rome to Arezzo last March, my girlfriend & I were talking to a woman from Rome about smoking in Italy. As I recall, she told us that a government official -- Minister of Health or something like that -- had made it a priority to try to stop young people from smoking. <BR><BR>Do you know anything about that? Is this person still in office? <BR><BR>Anyway, I'm glad to see people getting fined for smoking in public places where smoking is not permitted. Go Italy!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 02:33 PM
micia

Capo: I think you might be referring to Rosi Bindi. Possible?<BR>I don't follow everything (or rather everyone political) so I might be off, but I believe she is no longer in that position.<BR>I kinda of believe Berlusconi is where the heavy hand is coming down from.<BR>If you want me to be more precise or find out more, I can tell you tomorrow.<BR><BR>To hamlet: I am hopeful. Already I see big differences. The bars I frequent are no longer filled with smoke. People must drink their coffee without smoking. I love it.<BR>I can now also breathe easier while waiting in the bank.<BR>I know what you mean about the doctor, I have had that happen many a time.<BR>Many personal friends would smoke in their offices all time, even if you were sick.<BR>Since, I now have a toddler, I hope many places will get better. I really hate it when I cannot avoid smoke and my son has to breathe it.<BR>The airport was a big deal to me, since I always hated having to take him to the bathroom while traveling.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Capo

Grazie, Micia. Rosi Bindi might be the person, but I don't know, since the woman we talked to on the train didn't mention a name. She just told us that there was a government official who had made it a priority to try to stop young people from smoking and that he/she seemed to have some positive effect.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 01:48 AM
Beverly

I found no limitations regarding smoking in Rome or Florence except for the usual places that were always off limits prior to let's say 1980 in the USA. Smoking is permitted in most small shops, restaurants, hotels, etc. Smokers were curteous and kept their distance. I just returned in December, 2001. As a non-smoker, I find Europeans to be much more civilized. They seem to be self regulated and polite and know when and where to light up. It's not a problem there.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Frank

I have one suggestion, why don't you Italians go after Cosa Nostra first and then try to force people to stop smoking. Forget all the corruption is going on in your government, forget all the organized crime, prostitution,and extortion, enemy # 1 is Marlboro now, that sounds to me like a smoke screen to me.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
curious

Micia: Are you saying that smoking is no longer permitted in bars or restaurants anywhere in Italy?

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 12:51 PM
micia

Frank: You should go ask some Italian that question, I'm sure they will answer you.<BR>I can see from your post you don't know much about what is really going on in Italy.<BR>Cosa Nostra is pratically extinct, and <BR>prostitution is not run by the italians.<BR>Why are you so upset with Italy doing this? I would guess you feel the same about the US as there are many problems there as well and yet, smokers have been squashed big time.<BR><BR>Beverly: You are right,up till about a week ago. The day I made this post (17th) was the day after checks began. It was all over the news here on the 16th and 17th and I expected someone else to bring it up here. I noticed at the end of the second day, no one had, so I did.<BR>I hope when you come back, you will find things different, I wouldn't expect things to be perfect, but Italy is trying.<BR><BR>Capo: It had to have been Bindi and I was right that she is no longer in office.<BR>The new one said on the news today, they will start a new task force soon on overweight people. I didn't catch the entire story, but this was the idea I heard.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 01:14 PM
micia

Curious: I will believe that when I see it.<BR>I really doubt that will ever happen, though.<BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Frank

So Micia, by your rational, if the smokers are foreigners they should get a free pass!? I am asking you because you are the one reporting us wonderful news about Italy, just wondering if Italy solved all their crime problems and now all is left is to go after smoke bandits.<BR>It really doesn't matter to me who is behind the prostitution, what matters is that is present all over Rome and nobody does anything about it. I guess the evil of smoking must put out first. How about going after the pickpockets running all the tourist sites? I guess that is not a priority, just stupid turist spending their money. You can take someone's money and passport and you are ok, but don't light up in Italy anymore, then you are in real trouble... I am glad you people are making such positive changes!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 01:15 PM
micia

Frank: Wow! So sad how bitter you are. Such a shame you have experienced all the worst things when you came to Italy. I sure would like to know where you live, that it is so perfect.<BR>I come from a very small city in Florida and we have all the same problems.<BR><BR>BTW, I don't think anyone should get a "free pass".Even if you don't speak, or read italian and english, you sure can understand signs, one has to have come from living under a rock if he doesn't understand a sign with a cigarette and a big X through it.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Capo

Frank, I'm not sure I understand your reasoning, or philosophy. You're saying that no effort should be expended to stop people from breaking more minor laws -- or fine them for breaking them -- until all serious crime has halted? <BR><BR>Next time a cop busts you, for one example, for making a turn in your car where one is prohibited, do you think he/she be more sympathetic to you (and refrain from writing you a ticket) if you ask them: "Why don't you cops go after organized crime, or murderers and rapists, first, and then try to force people to obey traffic regulations?"