Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For a Paris first timer - Air France bus or shuttle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!
My Mom is flying into Paris later this week. I'm taking the train from Marseille to meet her there, but I arrive about 3 hours after she does. We're planning on meeting at our hotel. She has never been to Paris, and is a bit nervous to be on her own. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get her from CDG to our hotel, the Hilton near Arc de Triomphe.

Should I have her take the Air France bus to the Arc de Triomphe, and then a taxi? I think the hotel is about a 10 min walk from the Arc, but she'll have a suitcase and doesn;t want to get lost!

Or should I book her on a shuttle service? I've seen so many mixed reviews on the shuttle services, I'm not sure which one to pick?

There's always a taxi...but that seems too expensive.

Thanks in advance!
Angie
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Angie; I think you need someone holding up your mothers name as she exits the secure area at CDG. E-mail them to arrange this method. Try this. www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr/ ENJOY Iris
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
ifl

I just returned from Paris and took the AF bus. It's very easy. You can buy a ticket on the bus, and there is a waiting room at the airport. You can meet her at the bus stop when she arrives at Etoille.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 01:16 PM

First time, I did exactly that, airport bus and then taxi.

Had the address written down so it wasn't too bad.

I've mostly booked shared van rides on viator.com because it's cheaper and you don't have to switch vehicles or modes of transportation, which is a hassle with luggage.

Only tricky thing is that you have to find the van on your own (compared to private cars which will have the driver waiting with your name outside baggage claim).

Plus you have to wait while other riders may get picked up or dropped off.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Angie,

If I were you I would e-mail
http://www.shuttle-inter.com/homepage.htm for a reservations for your mother.

Is she arriving from the US? If so, her driver will meet her outside the security exit door with her name on a sign. They will take her luggage to a nearby car and they will be off to her hotel.

this is a private service that I found some time ago. I have used it many, many times. Many friends have also been using it.I have just made my Apri/May reservations with them. They told me that they would like to give my friends a discount and for them to mention my name, Joan Grace, for it.

It seems that they are giving them a 5 euro discount. The regular rate is 55 euros each way. Another friend has now returned and told them that they were a happy repeat and they were given the 5 euro each directions. I am now paying 40 euros each way. Doubt that it will go less!

They respond quickly to your e-mails. They do not use credit cards.

Enjoy...

Joan
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 01:31 PM

I used the Air France bus from CDG back and forth to Montparnasse in December. Excellent service. Attendants stow your luggage in the belly of the bus. It only costs €15 one way. There is a bus every half hour. All signs are bilingual. The tourist office in Terminal 2 E/F is very helpful.

Note that the bus service is named "Les Cars Air France" but it is actually a big bus. You don't need to fly Air France to use it. Pay the driver as you board. Mom will need euros.

The bus stops right outside the door of T2 E/F. It arrives on rue Carnot, the 11 o'clock position on the 12 pointed star at the Arc.

See the site at http://tinyurl.com/dzaooj. Mom needs line 2.

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

As always, Fodorites are the best! Thanks for all the great info!
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM
ira

Hi Ang,

You can remove all anxiety by having Mom take a cab - about 55 E.

www.beeshuttle.com
www.parishuttle.com
www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr/index_en.php
can all be reserved online.

At most, she will have to call the shuttle company on the free phone when she gets her luggage.

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM

The inter shuttle that I mentioned, you do not have to call..they are there waiting for you..your cost as I mentioned with be 55 euros one way and 50 euros the other way, with the discount.

Also, do keep in mind that in a taxi, the meter keeps running, if there is atraffic tie up. Someone on TA recently mentioned how glad he was using this service as he did get into a traffic problem of just sitting there for about 20 minutes.

Have a good trip...

Joan
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM

"The bus service is named "Les Cars Air France" but it is actually a big bus".

That would be because (auto)car is the French word for a large inter-city bus. As contrasted with "autobus" for a local bus.

Marginally less confusing to Anglophones than the Italian word for a large inter-city bus: "un pullman".
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM

If you're arriving from Marseille at Gare de Lyon, mom could ride the Air France bus there, and you could take RER A to Étoile together - or a cab to the hotel.

This would be the most economical method overall, save Roissybus or Roissyrail (which would exact a higher price in intimidation factor).
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Angie; For a nervous 'mom' there is nothing so comforting as having your name 'held high' as you exit the secure area. CDG is the seventh busiest airport in the world with 56 million people every year. CDG is usually wall to wall with people. Everyone in a hurry, with luggage. People have said it is easy do do all these confuluting arrangements. But, it is very confusing for a first time visitor. Do some sort of transportation with a 'name card' for your mom as she exits the secure area. Iris
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM

iris

amen

Joan
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM

I can't imagine anything simpler than walking out the clearly marked door of the CDG terminal, walking about 30 paces, and getting on a bus which is about as visible as a rhino in a chicken coop. A first grader could do this.

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM

I don't know that it has anything to do with being able to walk out to a bus.

I believe it is more that people have luggage, they have had a long, not fun trip and now just ant someone there to take their luggage and drive them away to wherever they are going.

That is the way I feel, anyway..
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Shared shuttle is about half the price of the private car or taxi.

Wow 15 Euro for a bus ride?

Then you have to take a taxi the rest of the way.

Back in '92 it was $8 to however many francs at the time, somewhere around 40 francs.

BTW, with these car services, you probably need to tip?

Look for ATMs (called 'distributeurs' in French) rather than the currency exchange windows at CDG.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM

We just took Shuttle Inter from CDG this week to our apartment in the Marais (Per Joan's advice and discount). Easy, easy, easy and very comforting that they were there and we arrived with zero difficulties.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Hi JenG,

Good to hear you arrived and all is well.

Have a great trip!!

Joan
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 03:36 AM

I also took gracejoan's advice and booked a r/t with shuttle inter. We usually take a taxi but this was about the same cost and no quequing or struggling with bags. Also on the way into Paris there was a huge traffic jam, I would have hated to see what the taxi meter would have read.

I've used other shared shuttle services going to the airport but never again, almost missed the plane last time with waiting for passengers who weren't where they were supposed to be on time and other foulups.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Avalon and all,

I'm so glad I found this outfit!!

Now, it is great for all of us! I think they must be appreciating all our business...

Enjoy...

Joan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -