Foodie day trip from Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is coming along with me to a conference in Paris at the end of September. We have from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon on our own and would love to take the train out of the city to hopefully see some countryside/ enjoy a bit of a 'foodie adventure'. Doesn't have to be fancy, finding a rustic local bakery or cheese shop and a cool B&B would be perfect. My French geography is terrible and i have no idea what is too far for a day. Suggestions please! thanks so much
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:37 PM

You might try this link
http://www.onruetatin.com/
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Well it doesn't meet your criteria of "rustic" but Lyon is a short TGV ride from Paris.

It's also the center of gastronomy for the known universe.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 09:15 PM

So much to eat, so little time! You do have limitless options, but here's an off the top of my head suggestion: Take the train and bus to Honfleur in Normandy, about three hours from Paris. Stay at the delightful Cour. St. Catherine bed and breakfast, Giaglis.com, see the great Saturday morning market that winds through cobbled streets of one of the most beautful towns in France, I swear they uproot that produce two hours before they stack it on their stands, and then have lunch at the Ciderie, where the copious buckwheat crepes are out of this world, especially the boudin noir with apples poached in calvados, one of the best meals I've had in France - repeatedly - for less than 10 euros!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:09 AM
ira

Hi G,

Dijon is 1:40 hr from Paris.

Look up "cocofromdijon".

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 08:50 PM

If you're into smaller...Chartres is great. The Best Western Grand Monarque offered a week-end gourmet deal that included a gorumet dinner and breakfast that was fantastic and we had Sunday dining on a side street at Le Buisson Ardent (eat upstairs-it's much more charming/elegant that the downstairs) that was was wonderful (but count on 2 1/2 hours at the table)

If you're too full to move after all that eating, you can sight see via the little train that tours all the important sights, leaving from in front of the Cathedral!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 10:34 AM

ttttt