my airfare went down on Continental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My airfare to Germany went down by nearly $100 on Continental. I called the airline and they said they couldn't give back the money either in a refund or a credit. I've read on this site that a few people have gotten credits back (but not sure on Continental).

Should I pursue this more or is it a lost cause? Does anyone have any personal experiences with this?
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM

10, 15 years ago I got refunds for this but I don't know of anyone who's gotten one lately because of the change fees.

Unless you have a fully refundable ticket you will be stuck with the change fees which would most probably surpass any savings you might make on the switch.

What is the fare code on your ticket? It should be in your online itinerary.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:12 PM
AR

Happened to me and I was told "Tough". Wrote to the Sunday Times complaints page and they printed it. The airline responded in print that I had been a victim of their success in that more flights had been added to that route and basically that's life.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Funny, I just responded to a poster asking if $710 was a good fare from Atlanta to MUnich. My opinion was to wait until it came down at least $100! This is why it just doesn't pay to purchase tickets too far in advance, although there is a clear risk in one's willingness to play "chicken" with the airline.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:26 PM
rex

Given that change fees have now become quite commonly in excess of $100, I think you can't whip up any public outrage for a "denial of credit" in this magnitude.

As you no doubt know, on the day you bought your ticket, Continental WAS offering fares (perhaps, double, triple or quadruple what you paid) with privileges for change, refund and all kinds of choices that you knowingly conceded that you didn't wish to pay extra to get.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM

Refund policies are apparently at the discretion of the airline. We did get a refund from American last year when fares went down (we had nonrefundable tickets), but only on one leg of the trip. They said that all the low-fare tickets going over were sold, but that since they had unsold seats on the return flight, they would refund the diference, with no change fee.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Good to know, nonnafelice. Did it take only one call to American?

I wasn't trying to whip up any public outrage. I simply wanted opinions on whether it makes sense to pursue this anymore beyond my call to Continental. If the majority of respondents (which I'm grateful are chiming in) haven't had any luck, then it might not be worth my time to pursue further. But if the opposite is true, then that's different. At some point, the $100 doesn't become worthwhile if I spend too much time on this.

This is the first time I'm flying Continental since I'm based in the West Coast. I choose this flight over a similarly-priced British Airways flight since the times are slighly better on CO. Reading a recent Fodor post on Continental and Berlin, I will keep my expectations low. (Generally, I think US carriers and European carriers have medicore service
compared to Asian airlines.)
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Tried to get a voucher for the difference when NWA fares' decreased by $90. Was basically told that the $100 change fee applied so no voucher.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:13 PM

I haven't tried that, but I didn't think any airline ever does that as that amount is less than the change fee for an international ticket. I am amazed American did that without deducting the change fee, as they have had terrible customer service whenever I've dealt with them. Of course no airline is required to give that to you.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:42 PM

I always figure it is worth asking for -- but don't really expect anything. Sort of like an upgrade request at the gate. which is even more less likely now than a couple of years ago, although more airlines might now offer an upgrade when you check in at a very reduced rate
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:53 PM

I'm waiting for my beautiful friend to get rerady for a night out in Buenos Aires and reading this thread. Imagine that.....

Anyway, if the same fare code is available with the lower fare MOST airlines will refund your money, usually with a voucher or in some cases, credit card refunds. It's when the new fare is in different fare code the change fees get in the way. You need to find out if the fare code for the lower fare is the same you purchased. If it is I believe that CO will do a refund, if it's not than the change fee will negate the small refund.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:55 PM
lyb

I was able to get a voucher for apx $250 from United in Oct of 2001. I had purchased my airfare not long after 9/11, from SF to Hawaii. A couple of weeks after I purchased my ticket (I was going in late October), the price for the exact same flight had dropped dramatically. I called United and mentioned the price drop. They told me that I could either get cash back, but they would keep 25% of the fare difference, or get the full amount in a voucher to be used within 12 months. Of course, I chose the voucher and made good use of it.

Of course, this was 4 years ago and United was certainly having a heap of troubles in October 2001, so maybe their rules have changed, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask, all they can say is no.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Re: "Good to know, nonnafelice. Did it take only one call to American?"

Yes, I only called them once and the rep was very helpful and agreeable. We had the credit on our Visa account within a few days. I think the key is what AAFrequentFlyer said about the fare code.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:11 PM

My husband's fare ( I was using ff miles for mine) for PIT-CDG came down after we bought it last Dec.(for May).USAirways readily issued a voucher for the $54 after I called; I was surprised that it was so easy. However, I think that using it will not be easy; can't be done online, I believe.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Continental is one of the least generous airlines when it comes to change fees and refunds. I don't believe CO will refund you without charging a change fee, even if the new, lower, fare is the same booking class.

But of course, another rule about calling any airline is that if you don't like an answer, hang up and call back.

As for the 757 flight to TXL... Well, just pray that your flight isn't full, and you have an empty seat next to you. Otherwise, it's not going to be pleasant.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:52 AM

Sorry to read about this. It is certainly incredibly annoying when this happens.

In the UK we have several bargain airlines, offering cheap flights, and you get the better deals the further ahead you book. I want to be in Dublin the week before Christmas, so at the beginning of June I looked at flights. The best I found were £19.99 each way (plus taxes) with Ryanair. Thinking the price would only increase I booked them. Just one week later to my horror and fury I saw the very same flights were priced at £3.99 out and just 99p return - percentage wise an incredible difference.

Ryanair just told me "tough". I contacted a national newspaper's travel advice section, to be told that it is the way the airlines operate these days, it is a lottery, and anyway the point was I had been happy to pay the original quoted price.

Obviously you have "lost" more money than me, but it is nevertheless really galling to know I shall be sitting on that plane with people who have paid almost 2000% LESS than me, although I shall try not to let it get to me!

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:23 AM
rex

<< people who have paid almost 2000% LESS than me... >>

ah, innumeracy...

With the rare exception of those passengers who are being paid by the airline to fly (and even those have to pay taxes, as far as I know)...

...the lowest possible fare (zero) will still only be 100% less than the fare you paid.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:03 AM

It is not annoying and just a matter of life.

Get on the plane and ask each passenger how much they pay for their ticket. Some will pay more than you, some will pay less.

Airfare pricing is such a complex issue that no one should be upset if the prices went down. And we should be glad that when the airlines raise prices after you've bought your tickets, they don't ask for more money before you board.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Here's my recent experience with Continental: back in Jan we booked flights to GLA for the end of Aug. The fare for the same flights just went down by $274. Continental charges a $200 penalty to re-issue tickets for international flights, and have offered a voucher for $74. Better than nothing, I guess, but it still seems like a huge rip-off.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Tarocake -- If you think you feel ripped off now, just wait until you've experienced the horror of Continental on a trans-Atlantic flight! My condolences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -