Reload this Page >

Food costs in Germany

Search

Food costs in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 09:25 AM
r&g

Food costs in Germany

Trying to budget our holiday in Germany -- we like nice restaurants (but do not have to be in the 4 star quality). How much should we budget for 2 adults per day for food (realizing breakfast is included in our hotels/pensions cost.)

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 12:48 PM
Bob

Same as you do in the US. You can find all price restaurants and will not starve. Dollar vs D-Mark very good right now so you should be able to budget close to the style you are used to eating in the US. If you go over one day, cut back one day and you are back on track.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 01:55 PM
Rex

While i basically agree with Bob, I think that a lot of Americans do tend to spend more on food in Europe (Germany is average; Portugal is less, Scandinavia is more) for the sheer fun of it. <BR> <BR>And you may find that it is very hard to get a filling (notice I didnt say nutritious, not "good") lunch for $4 like you can in the USA. Eventually, you will either: <BR> <BR>a) realize that you are eating three large meals a day and cut back, in particular by eating "a la picnic" for lunch or dinner at least every other day <BR> <BR>b) grin and bear it (i.e., if you are spending $20 for lunch and $30 for dinner day after day, per person) <BR> <BR>c) try some NON-typical cheaper meals - - this might include McDonalds etc., but it can be just as fun to eat in Greek, Turkish, Chinese or Mexican resturants - - or "their interpretations" of those types of restaurants (not that American interpretations are any more accurate). They seem to be cheaper in some cases (and less nice in some cases) than typical sit-down "German" restaurants. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 03:29 AM
Ralf

you will get a very good relation between price and what you will get for - very better than in the US. Have a closer look to italian restaurants - not only to the pizzerias. <BR>Please tell, where do you want to go for further information. <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:22 AM
topper

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 05:26 AM
s

Ahhhh Rex, <BR>On one point I have to disagree: it is fairly easy to find a filling meal in Germany for equivalent $4. I remember the many wurst stands on almost every corner of the business/shopping districts in the cities and even along the roadsides of local roads. You can get a couple of wursts, pretzels, and/or fries fairly cheaply at these stand-up stands, then find a bench and watch the folks hurrying to their offices. There are also cafeterias apenty -- go downtown, get out of your car, and follow the blue collar crowds. You only have to stop thinking like a vacation-er and mimic those who live there. <BR> <BR>On your other points, though, I agree. <BR> <BR>To R&G: have you looked into the half-pension option at your hotel(s)? That's a very economical way to take care of meal costs, and it remains a fixed cost that you can plan around. Then you only have to worry about lunch. To answer your question w/some real figures, I usually budget $70 a day for my (one person) food, wine, water, snacks -- $20 for lunch and $50 for dinner. But then, I'm on vacation and I pretty much budget for a splurge every day. I usually end up eating a lot of picnics and coming home way under budget. <BR> <BR>s

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 09:27 PM
alan

Hi! Regarding food costs in Germany, I think you were given many good suggestions. Wursts for lunch, Italian for dinner or pizza which is what we eat a lot of in Europe. Try local specialties in the area that you are going to be in also. We have found some really good local restaurants especially in the smaller cities and towns. In Munich try Haxen which is a local specialty also. We have eaten Greek and Turkish food in Munich and Frankfort and found it to be very good. Germany has a large Turkish populsation and the restaurants are good. alan