Search

Food costs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:37 PM
r&g

Food costs

Leaving shortly for Germany and trying to plan our budget -- any suggestions on how much to expect per day for 2 adults for food (like nice restaurants but do not have to be 4 star) (and realize breakfast is included with our hotels/pension costs.) Thanks

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 04:56 PM
Thyra

I will try to respond to this. Generally speaking there is a wide range of options it basically boils down to, set a food budget then try to find places that are appropriate to that buget. My husband and I usually load up on the free breakfasts, have a late (4PM ish) heavy lunch because lunches are less expensive generally speaking then dinners. Then stop at a market and get a snack for dinner, so our food costs are pretty small. We usually save up for one or two BIG meals out. There is some terrific fast German type food you can get on the streets and there are several guides that could give you more options, I believe we spend an average of 15-30 dollars per day on food for 2 people following the above formula.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 12:39 AM
Paige

In Munich we generally spend 70-80dm for 2 people for dinner including wine (less than $40). Italian and Greek restaurants are always cheaper, and still very good. These aren't 5*, just regular restaurants. We don't tend to eat a lot (just a main course) and don't eat meat, so that may affect the price.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 08:09 AM
l

Yes, breakfast will usually be included in the hotel rate, and what a breakfast! You can expect to find a buffet with cold meats, cheeses, breads etc. as well as cereals, pastries and fruit, so that will fill you up very well if you have a hearty apetite in the morning. For lunch picnics are fun and economical, and German delicattesens do such a wonderful range of meats and salads which can cost as little as 10DM for 2 persons, in a beautiful village deli. Lunch in an informal restaurant, on the other hand, will probably set you back 50-60DM for a 2-course meal for two, including soft drinks and coffee. For dinner, some of the top restaurants in Germany can cost from about 150DM per person, including drinks, which is excellent value compared to other parts of Europe. These prices are all based on a recent holiday, mainly in Bavaria and away from any large cities, when we found prices in Germany truly excellent value compared to eating out in the UK - and we do like eating well!

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 03:49 AM
topper