food and drink in ireland?

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:43 AM
silvana

food and drink in ireland?

how much does a typical meal and a pint cost in ireland, dublin specifically? my boyfriend and i can afford the airfare and accomodation, but he insists that what with food and drink it will be too expensive. is this true? can you get decent food for cheap? i really want to go, and it's been his dream to go for a long time. i need a convincing argument!
thanks- silvana

Nov 13th, 2002, 09:29 AM
mlf

There are many places to get reasonable food including your choice of fast food. Most restaurants have menus posted. Dont be afraid to go as you can find all sorts of prices

Nov 13th, 2002, 10:00 AM
bill

As I remember last year, the average price of a pint was E3.00 - E3.25. I'm thinking that Dublin food prices may have been a bit more that elsewhere. Pub grub is usually not terribly expensive, I'm thinking between E6.00-10.00. Breakfast is usally cheap or free depending on where you are staying. B&B breakfasts are huge and can get you through most of the day with a light snack in the middle somewhere.

Bill

Nov 17th, 2002, 09:53 AM
heather

Botticellis and Castle and the Elephant are 2 places I would suggest at any price range. The food was amazing!!
Botticellis dinner for 2 was 35euro, but you can pick less expensive items.
At the Castle and Elephant we never spent more then 25euro, we ate almost every meal there. Both are located in Temple Bar. Drinks are the same price as they are in other cities. Just got back last month so if you have any questions just email me.

Nov 17th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Patrick

One thing to keep in mind -- or to help you convince the boyfriend -- is that no matter what you spend, you won't be eating at home. I'm always a little amused when someone says that food will cost them $40 a day or whatever, that they aren't taking into account that they aren't eating at home all those days. Subtract the amount you'd be spending on food at home and the amount becomes less that it first seems.
I agree that you can eat very inexpensively in Ireland.

Nov 17th, 2002, 11:07 AM
dakota

just got back from dublin friday. 2 lunches in a nice place, tea, guiness was 25.00. however they were full meals. most pubs post prices for beers, ales etc, and also meals. i think it's the same as over here. don't forget an umbrella and take a good map of the city. to see book of kells, 7 euros pp

Nov 17th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Krista

I found that food was a little more expensive than here, but I thought there were larger portions. It also depends on what you get. Sodas are expensive!!! It was about the same for a pint of Guiness as it was for a half pint of Coke. If you stay at B&Bs you get breakfast and most places your breakfast will be a huge meal so you'll be ok for a lighter lunch. It was no differnt though than the average night to a Ruby Tuesday's type place.