Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Food and beach escape - Sicily 3wks in June -help!

Apr 7th, 2018, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Itís our second time in Sicily and I need serious help with the itinerary!! We love good authentic food, not being in a swarm of other tourists and great beaches (and of course a historic monument or two to fill the afternoon if thereís one nearby).

Just for context last time we saw: Palermo (loved) Cefalý, Lipari and the surrounding Aeolian islands (liked but wouldnít return) Taormina (pretty but hated how touristy it is) Siracusa and Noto with drives to nearby beaches (loved).

Keeping our past trip in mind- this time we would like to focus on the east, south and west ending back in Palermo.... we would also like to explore some of Sicilys other islands if thatís recommended (beautiful clear beaches/authentic food)?

Any help with suggested travel methods between locations would also be appreciated. I prefer to take the train where possible, but I also understand that (particularly in the south) sometimes driving is way more time efficient so we are happy to drive where it makes sense to do so. Hereís my early itinerary:

Start in either Catania or Messina? 3 nights
Ragusa or Modica 2 nights
Lampedusa? 2 nights
Agrigento or Caltanissetta 3 nights
Favignana 3 nights
Trapani or Erice? 1 night
Palermo 3 nights with a day trip to Ustica

Any thoughts on
1)how many nights in each location
2)does every location warrant an overnight stay or could some be comfortably seen in a day trip
3)which locations are better for authentic food and beaches (where applicable)

Thanks in Advance guys!!!!
Apr 7th, 2018, 07:55 AM
kja

Sorry, I can't help with most of your questions, but would note that I really enjoyed staying in Agrigento at a place (no longer in business) that allowed me a view of the night-lit temples. Lovely

Enjoy your trip!
Apr 9th, 2018, 06:50 AM

I'm not a big fan of cities when I travel so I wouldn't spend 3 nights in Catania or Messina. Do you have anything in particular that you want to see in either city? Of the two I would choose Catania, maybe for 1 or 2 nights. The lovely Villa Bellini is worth a visit, several churches (as in all of Sicily) and the CircumEtnea train that goes around Mt. Etna departs from Catania. Otherwise, skip those cities altogether and spend more time near the beaches.

I wouldn't choose between Caltanisetta or Agrigento. Maybe 1 or 2 nights in Caltinissetta - see the hilltowns of Enna and Piazza Armerina with the mosaics at Villa Romana, and overnight in Agrigento to see the temples. Caltanisetta is, of course, not a beach town. A long day trip might be available to these places from Catania. I once took one from Cefalu that covered all three. It depends on exactly what your interests are and how in depth you want your visit to be.

Can't comment on Lampedusa.

You might consider basing yourselves in Trapani for a few days. I haven't been there yet - except for the salt pans - but I was researching it recently and it appears to offer much for visitors, including its own beach. It is also convenient to the beach towns of San Vito Lo Capo and Scopello.( check them out for possible overnight stays. There is the Riserva Naturale dello Zingaro near Scopello. I also liked Castellamare del Golfo, nearby on the northern coast.). Favignana is a short ferry ride away from Trapani, and the salt pans of Marsala and the island of Movia are an easy drive away, and Erice can be reached from there by cable car or bus.
The beautiful temple of Segesta is about an hour away by car, an easy drive on the AS.

Delicious, authentic food can be found all over Sicily.
Apr 9th, 2018, 08:35 AM

Agrigento has below it a very very nice seaside resort area.
Apr 9th, 2018, 08:50 AM

DH and I took a local bus from Palermo to the sweet beach town of Mondello. You might want to google it as well. From what I read, it was a destination for natives rather than tourists. Gorgeous bath house:

http://www.thevoyageur.net/2014/06/1...-sicily-italy/

Have a great time.
Apr 9th, 2018, 10:32 AM

I would skip Catania and Messina and revisit Ortigia for the start.

I found the Egadi islands super quiet, but I was probably too early.

I highly recommend both Trapani and Erice - start here:

Crumbling Palazzos and Creamy Cannoli - Savoring Sicily
Apr 10th, 2018, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much guys-will research all suggestions
my main reason for visiting Catania or Messia was admittedly food.... I am not a big fan of the major cities like Rome or Milan but love Naples and Palermo so I had thought Catania may be worth a stop, perhaps only for 1 or 2 nights....
Apr 10th, 2018, 05:21 AM

Good food everywhere in Sicily....