Follow-up, How Much PerDiem Did a 14 Yr Old Need on a School Trip to Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a question in February on how much per diem to give my 14 year old son on a school trip to Europe over Spring Break. He was responsible to pay for lunch, drinks, snacks, souvenirs and incidentals, all other costs were included in the tour price.

I received many helpful responses and comments. There was some interesting discussions and I learned a great deal about student tour group travel which I really appreciated. So I thought I would report back on how things went for those of you who may be interested.

We decided to give my son a total of $50 per day for a 12 day trip, roughly 35 euros and 30 pounds sterling. He came home with about $40. He said what we gave him was more than enough for a good lunch (the best meal of the day), drinks, snacks, a few wisely purchased souvenirs, as well as paying for an additional night tour of Paris and a musical in London.

He really enjoyed the EF Tour. He said the guides were terrific, knowledgeable, friendly and got along well with the students. Hotel accommodations varied from very nice to just ok. Breakfast and dinners also varied depending on the hotel and location which is why lunch was usually their best meal. For lunch they were sometimes able to split up and choose where and what they could eat which was fun (chicken and rabbit paella in Spain!!!). Some hotels served full hot breakfasts, others just cold cereal, bread, milk, coffee and tea. Dinners were slightly better, he really enjoyed an Indian buffet in London with chicken curry, chutney and fresh naan bread.

This trip really opened his eyes to how big the world really is and how much there is to see and learn. His favorite places were Barcelona and Toledo. He is taking second year Spanish in high school and when I mentioned to him that some University Study Abroad Programs include Barcelona, his eyes got wide and bright. Thanks again to everyone who took the time and effort to help me with my questions.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Thanks for coming back to report to us. I'm glad he had such a good time. Sounds like the trip will be a life changer for him. (My son went to Europe after high school and it certainly changed him. ) CJ
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Thanks for giving us an update. I'm glad you chose wisely, and that he had a good experience.

Any chance of him doing a trip report for us?

Old Mar 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

A trip report from my son? About as much chance as him picking up after himself and keeping his room clean.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM

Yeah, Curiousgeo, I have two sons as well, and know how scattered they can be. It would have been really valuable if their tour director had made the kids keep a journal, however sketchy, each day. Your Son won't realize it now, but such a record could mean so much to him in later life.

We home schooled our kids on a boat in Europe for a few years when they were young, but did not make them keep a diary. Should have done, of course, but -----. The few lessons/essays/drawings we did keep are precious to each of them now, as each one brings back memories of that time to both the kids and to me.

Maybe you could have him just write up the bare outline of what he saw and did while his memories are still fresh?

Old Mar 28th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Thanks for your report. If there is one weak point in these forums, it is the lack of follow up to questions asked. I urge all who post questions to post a follow up (generally, just add it to the question's thread, but a separate posting such as this can be fine, especially with such a good topic line)
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 06:18 AM

Curiousgeo, Tell your son that a trip report from his point of view would be of interest to some. $600.00 spending money and 12 days in Europe are worth a clean room and a report.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

My son did take 300 plus photos on his trip as well as a dozen or so movie clips on his camera. We've been sitting down with him and he's been explaining some of the sights and subjects of his pictures to us, including that rabbit paella I mentioned earlier that looks delicious. We're less than halfway through his photos and it has been fun hearing his stories as he relates his travel experiences to us.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Great to hear your son had such a wonderful experience. He appears to have managed his money wisely. I think it's great you gave him the responsibility and he stepped up to the plate. Rather than a diary or trip report (might sound too girlie to him), maybe he could edit his photos and add written or audio captions?