Reload this Page >

Folk Museums: Finland & Norway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 09:15 AM
MCT

This is a bit off the beaten path -- has anyone been to either both or one of: <BR>a)the Seurasaari Open-Air Museum outside Helsinki, Finland and <BR>b)the Norwegian Folk Museum outside Oslo? Would like your opinion/impressions: is either one better? easier to get to? etc. etc. <BR>Thanks

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:01 AM
katja

There is a free access to Seurasaari since it is also a popular recreational and outdoors area. The old buildings on the other hand have opening hours. You can find them from the following link. Seurasaari is located quite near the centrum of the city and it is quite easy to get there. Donīt forget to visit also Suomenlinna fortress, if you deside to come to Finland and Helsinki! <BR> <BR>Seurasaari: <BR>http://www.hel.fi/tourism/html/engli...lit/index.html <BR> <BR>Suomenlinna: <BR>http://www.suomenlinna.fi/english/eng_entry.php3 <BR>

Old May 22nd, 2001, 11:38 AM
pernille

I have been to the Norwegian Folk Museum. It is good. It is located on a small panhandle 5 minutes from the city center of Oslo. Easy to get there by bus.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:37 PM
frances

I've visited both and by bus from the city centre .They are both easily accessible by public transport.If my memory serves me correctly I think you can also visit the museum in Oslo by boat-on the other hand my memory may be playing tricks here. <BR>Go to both!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:57 PM
Joanna

Frances, you are correct. I visited the Oslo Norske Folkemuseum by boat - it is part of a peninsula (Bygdoy) that encompasses the Viking Ship Museum and the Kon Tiki/Fram museums. All three are easily done in one day. We returned to the city centre by boat also. <BR> <BR>Haven't been to the Helsinki folk museum, but found the Oslo museum very interesting, though quite soggy underfoot after overnight rain. They have about 150 traditional houses, some of which you can go in, a stave church and a section of an C19th town with shops. Didn't notice many people in traditional costume in either section.