Anything open in Paris on Dec. 25?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help in advance. We have decided to go to Paris for Christmas holiday. Trying to decide whether to arrive on Dec. 25 or 26. If we arrive in Paris on the 25th I'm afraid that nothing will be open and we will have a hard time finding transportation from the airport and something to eat when we arrive at our lodgings. Can anyone provide more information?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 01:05 PM
jay

everything is closed except for the eiffel tower. the 25th will be our last day in paris before strasbourg. if you arrive on the 25th you will most likely get there in the early afternoon go to your hotel and then you will walk around to get your bearings. email me with any other questions.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 01:08 PM

I'm sure some restaurants , particlarly in hotels will be open. But other than the eiffel Tower, I think you'll be out of luck. But what a wonderful opportunity to see Paris , without traffic and crowds!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Here is a car service that DOES operate on Xmas:
Amadeus
3, avenue Jean Jaurès
94220 Charenton-Le-Pont.
TEL : 33.6-07.15.16.66
FAX : 33.1.43.76.05.36

I copied and pasted this info on Christmas Lights if you want to partake:

the main Christmasy light streets are in the 8th and 1st, I think (ave Montaigne, Vendome, Champs-Elysees, St-Honore, Montorgueil) and there is usually a skating rink and carrousel near the Hotel de Ville. I read there were Christmas markets periodically during pre-Christmas on the Champs-Elysees (crafts from various places or countries' vendors) and a creche at Notre Dame. The Marais will be closer to this, anyway. They do individual street light decorations, also, and a lot of that in some of those small streets in St-Germain like rue Guisarde. Of course you have the dept store windows, also, and some other special shows or events on the Right Bank around Palais Royal, the Ile-St-Louis, HOtel de Ville.

Also the Bateau Mouche Cruise on the SEINE DOES run on Christmas...My sis was there this past Xmas and she did this for the afternoon in addition to the Eiffel Tower...

And she did fine restaurants open for Xmas....

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:33 PM

Sorry- meant to say "find" restaurants open..

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:28 AM

we were in paris this past christmas thru new year's. most restaurants close for both xmas eve and xmas, some close for the entire week. that said we had no problem finding a place to eat and, if you like asian food, absolutely no problem.

on christmas day we took a long, liesurely walk along the lower path of the seine enjoying the decorations on the barges and even being offered a drink on one.

that night the opera bastille was open with turandot but we couldn't get a ticket. most of the major plazas (bastille, republique, nation cf.) have some cafes and restaurants open.

as to arrival: the metro system is open all day christmas if you want to take the RER from de gaulle. also many shuttles and taxis operate xmas.

a suggestion: we've been in paris for the holidays twice, bring a raincoat!!!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help! We are going to arrive on the 25th! We spent the same week in Paris two years ago and had such a good time that we have decided to go again! Thank you for the Christmas lights information and the car service.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 10:04 AM
jay

since you have been there at christmas, what is the weather like?
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

We spent Christmas 2001-2 in Paris. We found it to be chilly and damp. However, we are from Boston so we did find it warmer than home! I would say a typical day was in the 40s. My husband says he wore a down jacket and my daughter swears that she wore a thin "fall" jacket. They both were comfortable. The key was to dress in layers. We found that when we shopped and visited musuems it was much warmer inside than we were accustomed to in the US. Hope this was helpful.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Hey there, Boston! I'll be traveling from Florida to Paris with an 11 year old boy, leaving MCO Christmas day, arriving CDG 12/26.

My prior visits to Paris have been in the Spring, so this will be a different experience. We chose to stay in the 7th because we want to see the Eiffel tower twinkling at night and are hoping for an impressive New Year's Eve fireworks display. I've heard the Champ de Mars gets as crowded as Times Square that night!

Do you, or anyone else out there, have any information regarding planned festivities for New Year's 2004?

Thanks to everyone in advance and to you, especially, a wish for a wonderful Parisian Christmas week!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi Florida -- we just came back from a week on the west coast of FL! In Paris we always stay in the 7th. Our kids love that some of the shop keepers remember us when we return. I'll warn you about the how crazy it is around the Eiffel Tower on New Years Eve. Actually, when we reminded our kids that we would be in Paris for New Years Eve again the first thing both said was, "we don't have to go back to the Eiffel Tower again for New Years Eve do we"? There are not organized fireworks there every year. Last time we were there, the only fireworks were being set off my thousands of individuals. In my opinion,the majority of those individuals had been drinking far too much to be playing with fireworks. It was insane! Yes, the twinkling lights on the Eiffel Tower are a beautiful sight. However, lets see if we can find out if there is an organized fireworks show this year. It is a fun time to be in Paris with all the beautiful Christmas decorations and it is so much fun to see all the food displays for the New Year's celebrations.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:54 PM

Whoa! Didn't think about individuals recklessly setting off fireworks in a huge crowd of people! Not good, not good at all.

I actually wasn't considering venturing anywhere near the base of the tower that night, but observing from a distance of several blocks away, maybe now a whole lot of blocks.

My biggest fear is losing him in a crowd of people. I was thinking of carrying a bright red folding umbrella to use as an emergency beacon, to signal my location above all the heads.

Other than super-gluing our hands together, any better suggestions? (Of course, he'll have our nearby hotel address/phone # pinned in his pocket.)

Thanks!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

I always have the same worry about being separated from my kids when we are traveling. We have close friends that live in Paris. I make sure the kids have our hotel details and the numbers of my friends. Both girls also speak enough French to get by. We travel frequently and we have not had any problems. I must say I'm quite a pro at saying excuse me because in crowds I always feel like I'm bumping into everyone trying to keep all of us together! You'll be fine!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 07:14 AM

It's always a problem in large crowds like that, so I think you have to be real careful. I've heard many stories about the rowdiness in the crowds on both NY eve and 14th july in Paris, including the throwing of firecrackers, just like any city where mobs of people gather in problem and many are drinking.

I think it's too early to look for planned festivities, except they are usually about the same that night, with the exception of the fireworks. The city of Paris often doesn't seem to announce whether they will or not take place until much closer to the date, at least from what I've seen. Other than that, it's just the usual -- lots of people in the street "partying" and drinking, and lots of folks who go to restaurants for a special night there, and others who stay at home.

The Paris Tourist Office web site has the best location for listings of special events and activities, try it. www.paris-touristoffice.com