Reload this Page >

fodors plus what??

Search

fodors plus what??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 03:32 PM
gretchen

fodors plus what??

hi everyone!! i'm fairly new on the computer and am having a hard time finding and keeping the sites i stumble onto about travel in italy and accommodations. please help!! once i get a lesson, i think i'll be fine, but for now, i'm anxious to brouse and plan for our next trip. not sure where we want to go. we've done venice(5 days), florence(7 days), and rome. we are debating sorrento and the amalphi coast, the lakes area(been to como but want to take husband), or the italian riviera. i have been an adoring fan of fodors discussion board, as well as aol's forum and frommers. everyone has helped me immensely on our last trip to florence, but this next trip seems to be a little more involved, and i want to delve in deeper. i'm sorry to be so ignorant. i would appreciate any help anyone would have to offer. gretchen

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Arthur

Hi Gretchen, if you are on either aol or MS internet browsers, both have the capability of saving favorite URL's. It will add them to you pull down favorites menu. I also use something else. I created a notepad and when I find an interesting web site that I want to keep, I click on the address/url line, hold the control key and click the c key. Then I open or click on the notepad and again hold the control key and press the v key to paste the url into the notepad. <BR>I hope that I'm answering your question. <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Holly

How do you create a notepad, Art?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 08:13 PM
xxx

Notepad is a program - - so is WordPad - - you should be able to find one or both by clicking Programs &gt; Accessories <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Art

Hi Holly (you wimp - can't make a little trip to LA from Reno) <BR>If you have any version ov windows from 3.1 to me, 95,98, NT etc you have notepad. Look under the start menu. Chose programs then accessories. when you place the cursor on accessories you'll see a list and you'll see it. The icon looks like a little notepad. <BR>It is very handy for small text files. <BR>You can also create a shortcut on your desktop by right mouse clicking on your desktop and selecting new/shortcut and a small window will apear. It will say create Shortcut in the top bar. Click on the browse button and navigate to your operating system directory. This will be winnt if your running NT but mostly likely it will be win95/win98. Scroll through the window until you see a program called notepad.exe. Double click on that and from now on you just double click the Notepad on you desktop to get to it. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Leslie

Gretchen - it seems you were also asking for some favorite Italy travel websites. Here are mine: <BR> <BR>www.itwg.com (for hotels) <BR>www.venere.it (for hotels) <BR>www.initaly.com (mulitple topics) <BR>www.knowital.it <BR>www.agriturist.it <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:32 AM

Gretchen -- Would be a great help if you would type in upper and lower case. i for I is not cute. Is nice to see proper nouns begin with a capital (Venice not venice). <BR> <BR>A computer is a great tool...have fun!! <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:53 AM
Rex

i predict that Gen-Y and beyond will add new dimensions to english vocabulary, spelling and usage that may indeed include the "de-capitalization" of the first person nominative pronoun, i. <BR> <BR>Languages evolve and change this way, and they always have. And traditionalists have always complained about the ruination that the "younger generation" is bringing to the language. I deplore it as much as any other baby-boomer. But it's like, ya know - - who sez that there's sumthin so wrong about "sez"? <BR> <BR>Even the Capital Letter worshipping Germans are re-thinking the Capitalization of All those Nouns. Even they don't capitalize "ich". <BR> <BR>and in a computer speaking world, one can not emphasize the verb immediately after "i" very well - - unless "i" is in lower case. Really, i DO think you know how this sentence is supposed to sound, don't YOU? <BR> <BR>so - - Bond - - chill, dude... <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 05:20 AM
frank

If you don't have an icon or start menu item for notepad, click on start, run, then type notepad.exe in the box.Keep it open so you can copy & paste snippets wherever you find them. <BR>If you want to make a shortcut to it, it's in your windows folder - it's a part of windows. <BR>Practise using a search engine(eg Yahoo etc.) - its amazing how much more powerful they are when you understand the "advanced" (easy) features. <BR>Use Favorites on Internet explorer or Bookmarks if using Netscape to store site addresses (URLs) <BR>Remember that every page you visit is automatically stored for later viewing. <BR>Use the back button or look at "history". <BR>If you're nervous about viruses, dont use Outlook Express (Msofts mailer) as most of the recent scarier viruses target this prog.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 05:45 AM
Lee

Art, Thanks for the help on using a notebook.Now if someone could help with another problem, I'd be very grateful. I am trying to pring out Art's response on how to use the notebook, but when I try to print it, I only get all the questions on the left. Hw do I get the responses to print? <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 05:53 AM
Rex

It might be that "clicking" in the answer will cause the answer to print instead of the questions at the left. but I always do this: "highlight" the info you want to print ("click and drag") then "control-c" = "copy" (in windows), open a word processor (notepad will do), and "control-V" ="paste" - - then (reformat, if desired and) print as you would any other word processor document. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:12 AM
Strunk

Oh, great. The Gen-Xers are going to reform the rules of English language usage. That so, like, totally rocks, dude!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:52 AM
Rex

Party on, Garth. Actually the Gen-X'ers will undoubtedly roll their eyes when today's nursery school crowd hits THEIR twenties... <BR> <BR>And so it goes... <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:36 AM
Lee

Thanks Rex. I did the copy and paste and was able to print the information I needed. <BR>Something to learn everyday, since I'm a beginner!