Fodor's Forum Wish List

Search

Fodor's Forum Wish List

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fodor's Forum Wish List

You gurus have done us Fodorites a great service by making URLs in posts into hot links. <i>Merci mille fois!</i> Now how about a step further:

Put an anchor (#) tag on every post's date/time stamp so we can reference a specific message from elsewhere. It shouldn't take more than a few lines of code to add the href and append the post's cardinal number in the thread as the anchor's name. Mucho thanko.

<font color="blue"><u>03/07/2006, 11:19 am</u></font>
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM

This is one actually suggested by Rex but that I find would be really terrific:

To be able to search by screen name <b>and</b> topic.

If I want to look up my answer to something about Rome, I'd really rather not have to plow through 400 messages about Florence, Venice, Sicily, etc., etc.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM
rex

As Eloise indicates, I would sure like to see the ability to search &quot;cross-fields&quot; - - i.e., screen_name=rex AND keyword=135 (this is Italy, just to cite one example) AND searchText=beach - - when I am trying to remember &quot;that one place&quot; I mentioned some years ago (in this case, for example, referring to Forte dei Marmi).

In Fodors' defense, you CAN search &quot;keyword&quot; (country, here on the Europe forum) AND a text word (or combo of text words, in a Boolean fashion.

As for Robespierre's suggestion, it seems as likely to be overlooked (if not explicitly labeled) as the message header. The funny thing is - - the message header IS printed in blue, and underlined, like a URL should be - - and its URL appears at the bottom of the screen when you &quot;mouse over&quot; it - - but it still is not at all self-evident to many veterans and newbies alike.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

eloise and rex, you can already do that (or something like it). Go to google and type <b>&quot;author: rex&quot; italy beach site:fodors.com</b> (the quote marks are necessary) and you will see a relatively small list of threads with the desired criteria.

Long before Fodor's gets there, however, it would be fairly easy to make it possible to search <i>only</i> thread titles <i>or</i> bodies <i>or</i> both.

All of these could be added to the FAQ, <i>e.g.</i> <font color="blue">
How can I search only titles?
How can I reference a thread?
How can I reference a single post?
I can't find my post! </font>
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:28 AM

1) It would be nice to have an extra screen before your post is final that ask: &quot;Did you remember to include a location in your subject title?&quot;

2) Threads that are more than 2 years old (or whatever) could have a different color (perhaps &quot;faded&quot in the topics list at left. This would be nice in so many ways, including those threads that announce &quot;Just back from (city)&quot; that were started in 2001.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:42 AM
rex

&lt;&lt; Threads that are more than 2 years old (or whatever) could have a different color (perhaps &quot;faded&quot in the topics list at left. This would be nice in so many ways, including those threads that announce &quot;Just back from (city)&quot; that were started in 2001. &gt;&gt;

Even better - - right in front of the number of responses, it could state: &quot;Initiated, 03/07/2006&quot; (as in the case of this thread) - - no reason to rely on gradations of color, based on an arbitrary age of the initial post.

Sometimes, 4 months old, 23 months old, 60 months old - - they're all the same when they are <i>topped</i> &quot;inappropriately&quot; (i.e., as &quot;bait&quot; for new comments - - when starting a new thread would make more sense).
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Please, please give us the ability to edit posts after they're up!!!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:23 AM

The ability to search just within the title of a thread, rather than within its whole body. Several times I've wanted to look for a specific thread that had fallen off the main page, but searching for terms in the title turns up huge numbers of posts. Shouldn't be terribly difficult to implement, and is common on most forums.