Fodorites Little known "must sees"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been perusing this forum for four months in preparation for our trip to Europe in July. I've found so many great tips I can't thank you enough. One of the true jewels are the hints like how to get tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys at the London Tower, or Scavi tour tickets in Rome. I'm looking for those unusual travel spots that most travelers won't get to becasue it is only known to the experienced. I'll list our intenerary (to date) and if you can think of anything please send your thoughts! I haven't listed all the details becasue thepost would be too long but this should get the general schedule in mind.

Arrive London noon July 5th - (Hilton London Olympia) where to lunch? I want to see Picadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square. Then original Walking Tours 7pm "Along the Thames Pub Walk" - is this okay for 16 year old boys?

July 6th - London Tower, Westminster Abbey, Abbey Road? Ceremony of the Keys 10pm

July 7th - 12 Rome staying an apt. in the Trastevere - Vicolo Del Bologna
July 9th Context Tours Roma Antica
July 10th Pompeii (kids really want to go here rather than Ostica)
I've heard tour the Vatican early (8:00am or late 4pm) which is better?

Has anyone heard of Spirito DiVino on Via dei Genovesi (31)? I've heard we should eat there at least once.

July 12-17 Florence - staying in an apt. Piazza Ciompi 4 still don't have tickets to Uffizi and Academia but will do so when I can stay up late to call!

July 13th I Bike Italy tour - olive oil and wine tasting - lunch full day tour

July 17-21 Venice - apt. Sestiere di San marco Sant Angelo - no tours scheduled yet but plan on taking one private gondola with the family in the evening.

July 21-25 Barcelona - plan on touring the Gaudi architecture, parks, we're staying in the Bari Gothic in Placenta dei Pi square. I have the least research in this country to date.

July 24th Monteserrat

July 25-29 Paris - apt. 45 rue de Montmorency. First time for the boys - We will tour on Segways or Fat Tire Bikes to see the highlights then spend time at Rodin's sculpture museum, St Germain (shopping and dinner) Latin Quarter, Sainte Chappelle, Notre Dame (the top!) limited time at the Louvre, Catacombs, Musee d'Orsay (love impressionists), we never made it to Montmartre last year - we are trying to work it in this year.

July 29-31 London - Holiday Inn Kensington Forum. My husband wants to visit Bath on the 30th and he wants to see the Land Rover Plant at some point.

July 30th The London Walk - Original Walking Tours

We fly out on the 31st to return to California.

The things I'm looking forward to the most are the Scavi tour, the Ceremony of the Keys, and the bike tours. ANy other must see suggestions off the beaten path or otherwise? All of your help is much appreciated. Mary
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM

In Paris a good day's experience is to do the "Passages" : sort of covered street.
In the 19th century there were srores and on 1st floor the owners have their appartments.
There is a trend here in the forum : Paris : the Passages...
Really well done.
Just write passages in the case above and you'll find it...
We've made it with our 2 daughters and they enjoy : you have interest in architecture, shopping, museums and you can find to eat both lunch and diner...
Erik.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I'll check it out. You've listed some of my favorite things to do while traveling. Most importantly we need to stay outdoors and active for the boys!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Sounds great! Lucky kids. I am looking forward to the trip report.

In Florence, be sure to take the #7 bus to Fiesole for a couple/few hours. Late afternoon is good so you can see the beautiful sunset over Florence.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like an opportunity to bring a bottle of red wine and a picnic! I'm copying and pasting as we speak. Much more to readon passages. The kids know they're lucky. We have saved for this for a few years. We are using it as our birthday and Christmas gifts to each other. We are on a budget - that's why so many apartments rather than hotels and B&B. We will eat at home two of three meals a day...or with recommended low cost vendors, delis, etc. But we will splurge on a few things!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:59 AM

If you're on a budget, make sure to buy the boys chwarmas (gyros) in the Latin Quarter in Paris...they are huge.

One thing that I was glad we did in Paris was to visit "the underpass" where Princess Diana's accident happened. You don't actually walk into the underpass....on the "overpass" part are a lot of hand written tributes. I only mention this in case you or your husband are big Princess Di fans.

Also, if the boys are (or were) Harry Potter fans, you can see Nicholas Flammel's house in Paris - yes, there really was a Nicholas Flammel. It's very near the Pompideu Center.

Are you doing the Secret Itineraries tour in Venice? From reading this board, I kind of thought that everyone does it, but Rick Steve's book calls it a "little publicized gem" (or something like that).

Someone recently spoke of the fat bikes tour and said that a large amount of the time was spent getting the bikes, etc. and that a whole hour was spent at a third rate creperie. You might want to try to find that post.

Have the boys read the Da Vinci Code and/or Angels and Demons? If they are big fans, have them write down their "must see" sites in Paris and Rome. If they haven't read the books and you are a fairly liberal parent, I would recommend that they read both...the books will make some of those museums and churches a lot more interesting!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Missypie both my husband and I have read the books but my sons haven't. We did go on a Da Vinci walking tour and found it pretty interesting. My kids are avid readers and would probably enjoy the books. We are Catholic but enjoyed the books as entertainment, some parts were offensive but what isn't these days? I haven't heard about the Secret Itenaries Tour. I'm going to check it out. I read about the Fat Bike Tours and NeoFodorite is right, it took some time to check out the bike etc. However they told us how long the actual tour would be and we were right on time. We took a different tour than she did. We eneded up having gellato at the Berthillon in St Ilse de Louis. The tour included a boat trip on the Seine with cheap red wine (didn't drink it but enjoyed the scenery). We're easily entertained!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:19 PM

On of the things we found interesting in London (from the DaVinci Code) was finding the Temple Church. You might like to visit it, with it's knight effigies.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Catbert, I've just pasted Degas' updated Passages walking tours and I'm checkingout the secret iteneraries tour. I found an old thread on the Passages and pasted ideas for restaurants and shopping for minute music boxes! This is just like a tresure hunt. The best way to prepare for the trip. Off to London to check out the Temple Church.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:42 PM

This are not "little known," but they are gems.

For London, go to the New Globe theater and buy "groundling" tickets. They are cheap, and it is fun. If you'd rather sit, there are no bad seats, so any ticket will do.

For Rome, do not miss the Pantheon and since you are in Trastevere, go to mysterious ruins of Portico d'Ottavia just across the river. Going at night when they are lit up is the best. Eating fried artichokes and fried fish in one of the restaurants is great.

I've heard of Spirito di Vino, and that it is good, but there are lots of good restaurants in Roma. With 16 year olds, I would go to Lo Zozzone (you can find it on the internet or most guidebooks) and get great food to go for a just a few euros. Eat sitting on a bench in the Piazza Navona.

Florence: Museo San Marco.

Venice - The Church of Santa Maria dei Frari. It not only has Titian's Assumption, but it has Canova's tomb, which is great.

Barcelona - Palau di Musica di Catalunya. Don't miss it. Take the guided tour. Otherwise, plan on touring the town with the hop-on-hop-off bus.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Lots of young guys are into ancient Egypt, for some reason. The Louvre's collection of ancient Egyptian objects is incredible (there must have been a whole lot of looting going on way back when). Since the guys are 16, if they do want to look at Egyptian stuff, you might want to have them do a bit of research on the efforts the Egyptian goverment has taken in the past few decades to try to get some of their stuff back! (I haven't heard of any actions against the Louvre, but it will make your family think a bit deeper while admiring all that loot.)
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM

I keep thinking of things. Check and see what the Royal Shakespeare Company is doing while you're in London. In 1985 I bought half price same day tickets to the RSC and actually saw a then-unknown Kenneth Brannaugh in a great Shakespearean comdey. The RSC folks are so comfortable with the language that they make Shakespeare very easy to understand and enjoy.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

missiepie is this the Temple you are referring to? I found it on an old thread.

The Temple church, near Temple underground station, is thirteenth century and has a feeling of history.

This one sounds interesting too: The church of St Barthomolew the Great, near Farringdon station, is twelfth century, large and dark, with the oldest feel of any London church.

I may do a read aloud with the family to prepare for this trip. We've read all the Potter and Lord of the Rings series etc. together (silly we still read as a family and they're 16 but I LOVE it!) Great idea to get them excited about the upcoming trip.

espagnabound great ideas! Glad to hear about Spirito...

Stupid question number 1) Does the New Globe theater play Shakespeare? My boys have read quite a few of his works, attended several and they were actually in one play (forgot which one - awful mother!). We have heard Shakespeare country is just a tourist trap so we weren't sure wether to go or not.

We love fried artichokes, is the Portico d'Ottavia open to the public at all times? Evening the best 7pm?

Thank you so much, my cut and paste document is getting longer! I've divided it by city and will soon divide it by day and place on index cards and laminate. I don't want to carry all my heavy guide books on the flights.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Missiepie you are a wealth of information. I love Kenneth Branaugh! More please!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Darn...I just looked at the Royal Shakespeare Company web site, and they're in Stratford in July. If you had time for Stratford, you could take your pick of 5 or 6 plays at three different theatres. Makes me want to go!!!

One thing that I am looking into is a Vivaldi performance while we're in Venice. I've heard that the folks in white ties and tails are the better musicians, but I know that our kids would get a kick out of musicians in period costumes. Another thing to think about.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM

There's a huge list of second-division London sites - together with a fascinating debate about reincarnation - at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34792358

English law about pubs and children is fiercely complicated and a lot's in the hands of the individual landlord. But practically every riverside pub I've encountered lets 16 yo's in, at least to some parts, as long as they either drink only soft drinks, or restrict their boozing to small amounts of beer or wine bought by a parent or guardian for over 16 yo's as part of a meal in a dedicated eating area.

But check with the walk company, as some pubs feel they have to interpret this more Stalinistly than others.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

They won't be drinking just checking to see if they can attend. My husband wants to check one of his "to do's" off of his list! I'm more of a vino drinker but I do enjoy a good Rauch beer in Germany from time to time. Costwold Scouser I'll check the link. Today's a good day for research!

Missiepie you're going to Europe in May? Is it a long train ride to Stratford? It maybe worth the trip. Let me know what you find on Vivaldi. Anything in period costume is fun.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

missypie sorry I keep misspelling your name!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Your trip looks pretty full, but here come afew more ideas
London- defintiely the Temple Church - it's full of efigies of crusaders, and you get to walk through or past beautiful gardens, full of barristers rushing about- and still lit by gas lamps! If you ahve time, go over the road [THe Strand] to the Royal Courts, and see them in their wigs and gowns, and the exhibition of old court dress hidden away in one corner. From Temple station with your backs to the Thames, turn right, and go through the gates about 200 yards ahead of you, and bear left.
also consider getting a boat down to Greenwich, and going to the Royal Maritime Museum, and /or the Observatory - both lost of fun of 16 year olds. Or how about the Imperial War Museum - fascinating and not pro- war at all.
Paris - you don't mention the eifel tower or Notre Dame. They won't forgive you!
Rome - As you are staying in Trastevere, you should go to St. Cecilia's with its beautiful crypt [E3 each] if nothing else. Having been to Pompeii and Ostia, it will take you so long to get to Pompeii that you won't have long enogh there, whereas you could have a whole day at Ostia; our kids [18 & 15] loved Ostia and the chance to wander round, through, and on the ruins.
As for the Vatican, we had to try twice to get in. Ist time arrived at 11.30, and the queue was back into St. Peter's Sq., 2nd time at 8.45, and got in at 10am. Other people said they had heard about trick of arriving lunch-time/early afternoon; trouble was , so had everyone else. WHy not book a tour ? - on such a short trip, you don't want to spend lots of time in queues.
Eating - best places we found were small local trattoria, run by a family, with some roman customers. Worst was the one mentioned in two guides. Good Luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -