Reload this Page >

FODORITES GELATO DICTIONARY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:23 AM
Maira

We are looking forward to our upcoming trip and the opportunity to enjoy of Italy's greatest achievement--- authentic gourmet ice cream, a.k.a. gelato. <BR> <BR>We have read on history, maps, etc., but still feel as if our preparation is lacking a critical item; a gelato glosary. <BR> <BR>I've gathered the following terms, but it aches my heart to think of those I may be missing. So, PLEASE feel free to update this first "FODORITES GELATO DICTIONARY" <BR> <BR>FLAVORS <BR>cioccolato - chocolate <BR>fragola - strawberry <BR>lampone - chunky raspberry <BR>nocciole - chunky hazelnut <BR>vaniglia - vanilla <BR> <BR>STYLES <BR>affogato - smothered ice cream (better defined as ice cream with whiskey) <BR>Cantinola - ice cream truffle with chocolate coating. <BR>frullati- cold fruity shakes in a wide variety of flavors <BR>granite- a traditional Italian ice <BR>tartufo - a soft, light ice cream <BR> <BR>TERMS AND CONDITIONS <BR>"con panna" - to make sure your scoop comes slathered with whipped cream. <BR>Produzione Propria - genuine homemade treats <BR>Mangia - eat <BR> <BR>Please, only contribute from personal experiences. This is a serious effort. :-^)

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:48 AM
kk

Very very helpful, Maira. I will take this thread/list with me to Italy in April! YUM in advance. <BR>Alas, I cannot add to it, although I have had gelato over there, it was way back in 1985.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 06:12 AM
Mariarosa

Thanks Maira! I'll be sure to keep my eyes open (and my mouth too) for new gelato terms!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:27 AM
Maira

KK and Mariarosa--- good to have you on board. <BR> <BR>:-^)

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 12:30 PM
betsy

Had chestnut ("castagno" in Italian, I think). Looking forward to pomegranate and fig in October. Be very careful of your pronounciation of the Italian word for fig!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 01:15 PM
Beth Anderson

frutti di bosco, frutti di bosco, frutti di bosco. my favorite (and I am usually a die hard chocolate lover). <BR> <BR>I also was sure to get a big scoop of mango to go with it. <BR> <BR>oh my. <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:52 PM
nancy

Beth, <BR>what is Frutti di bosco? <BR>My dictionary says bosco = wood. <BR>??

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 03:35 PM
pam

Tartufo=truffle, a very chocolaty chocolate, among my top 2 flavors <BR>Crema=extra vanilla <BR>Bacio= chocolate and hazelnut (other of my top two) <BR>Limone=lemon, duh, ...but my son's favorite combination cup was chocolate and lemon.... He still talks about it.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 04:10 PM
will

My fav is Pistachio which I think is pistaccio in Italian ... someone w/ an English-Italian dictionary handy might help me w/ my rusty translation.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:56 PM
betsy

The chocolate/orange combo is fantastic, also. Cioccolato/arancia

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 06:04 PM
betsy

Go to http://athena.prs.k12.nj.us/users/jwoods/home.html <BR>for Jan and Jan's 1995 gelato tour. A neat site.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 06:18 PM
Barbara

When in Venice try the Malaga, a sort of rum-raisin and, if fortunate enough to find yourself in the little Sicilian town of Noto, go the the historic Corrado Costanza's for Rose Petal Gelato. It is a very old recipe and fills your nose with the fragrance of rose petals as it caresses your throat. <BR>Buon Appetito and Buon Viaggio!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 06:21 PM
molti sapori

a few additions and corrections: <BR>pistachio=pistacchio <BR>cinnamon=cannella <BR>hazelnut (but not necessarily "chunky")=nocciola <BR>almond=mandorla <BR>cherry=ciliegia <BR>peach=pesca <BR>apricot=albicocca <BR>coffee=cafe <BR>medlar fruit=nespola <BR>walnut=noce <BR>prickly pears=fichi d'India <BR> <BR>Some of these are mainly granita flavors rather than gelato flavors. The flavors vary by locality and sometimes by season. <BR> <BR>Usually the words for fruit trees are masculine, while the words for the fruits themselves are feminine (e.g., an "arancia" grows on an "arancio"), but both fig tree and fig fruit are "fico" not "fica" ("Fica" is a very vulgar word) <BR> <BR>Frutte di bosco are wild woodland fruits (like wild strawberries and other mixed fruits)

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 07:34 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi Nancy, <BR> <BR>what "molti sapori" said! <BR> <BR>when I asked the gent serving up the gelato what 'frutti di bosco' meant - he said 'mixed fruit' - it looked a lot like raspberries, strawberries, etc etc mixed in. <BR> <BR>heavenly! and I love mangos too, hence my mixing mango gelato with the frutti one (tutti frutti!)... <BR> <BR> if you like Thai food, they have a great dessert (in season, maybe) which is sliced mangos, sweet sticky rice, with a sugar syrupy stuff dribbled on top. (but this has nothing to do with gelato, btw - sorry!)

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 11:39 AM
nancy

Thanks molti sapori and Beth! <BR>I am pasting this for our trip. <BR>Got to go now, I'm drooling!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 11:57 AM
josie

Been to Italy and have tasted gelato in several places and various cities. The best gelato is in front of the Spanish steps. Anyone knows the name of the place? Try meloni(cantaloupe). The flavor is unbelievable. Mama mia!!! delicioso!!!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Neda

I had the meloni (cantaloupe) gelato at Vivolis in Florence. It was to die for!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:57 PM
molti sapori

The best granita and gelato is Sicilian, but so many Sicilians have moved north for jobs and business opportunities that the rest of Italy now benefits. But don't forget that it's still Sicilian. <BR>P.S. Another flavor that I forgot to mention: <BR>apple=mela

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 08:18 PM
molti sapori

P.S. <BR> <BR>watermelon= anguria or cocomero <BR>pear=pera

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 01:09 AM
Kavey

Nancy <BR> <BR>Frutti di bosco translates as Fruits of the Forest, hence it is usually mixed berries such as raspberries, blackberries etc... <BR> <BR>One of my favourite yoghurt flavours so I am sure I would love it as gelato! <BR> <BR>Kavey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -