Flying with your "little" friends

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night on "Airline" on A&E they showed this older man who had cockroaches scrambling out of his bag when security looked through his stuff. They made him take the bag outside and he was knocking it on the ground and cockroaches were coming from every crevice. They even climbed up his leg. Y-U-C-K!

Thank goodness they told him he couldn't take that bag with him and they shook out all of his stuff and packed it in a cardboard box. The man said he had the bag in storage for several months and that's where the bugs probably came from....
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM

How disgusting. I had that happen in a rental car in Maui. I rented the car and then after I got to my condo, noticed that the car was infested with roaches. I think the previous owner must have left some sort of food under the driver's seat. At any rate, I called Avis, and they delivered a new car to the condo for me, since I refused to step into it again. Revolting.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM

I forgot to add that I was lucky - and so relieved that none of the beasties crawled on me - I managed to escape them. If one had jumped on me while I was driving, there would have been a 50 car pileup by the sugar cane fields, I am sure.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Despite incidents like this, some people wonder why they can't bring their unprocessed food into the country, with its possibility of unseen critters hitching a ride. Some of us remember when some Mediterranean fruit fly that evaded the Dept of Agriculture border cops decimated the citrus crop in California and Florida
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Oh, I saw that-it was awful! That happened to us at the Marriott Palm Desert, a very nice hotel, or so we thought, until we had to be moved TWICE b/c there were dozens of cochroaches in the rooms! It was awful. They were marching all over everything, including the bed.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM

We were having dinner and I had to change the channel. I admit I'm slightly phobic about insects, but roaches are the WORST. I can barely read this thread.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM

My roach story: In Oahu we rented a car at night and drove to our condo, on the way, in the backseat, my son yelled, there is something crawling on me. We stopped under a light and he was covered in roaches, we all screamed and jumped out and beat the roaches off of him with towels!

We called the company and they exchanged cars for us, but it made a lasting impression to say the least.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM

And what is really sad, is the experts say that in a nucleur war, the roaches would be the survivors. Nothing seems to work. We can put men on the moon, but we can get rid of roaches! Your poor son. He is probably traumatized for LIFE!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 03:48 PM

I mean - of course - "..we CAN'T get rid of roaches.." See just writing the thread freaked me out so I couldn't type well.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Hey guys... I've lived in New York City for 45 years. We adopt the little guys and give them names -
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM

I was having dinner at a posh restaurant near Cape Town a few years ago with my mother.

Halfway through dinner we looked over at the next table and saw that there was a gigantic cockroach crawling up the back of one of the other diners. We called the waiter over and he walked up to the guy, said "Excuse me, you have something on your shirt", and had whisked it off with a napkin before the guy even noticed.

It's probably best he never found out what had been crawling up his shoulder...