Search

Flying to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying to Rome

We are planning to go to Rome this summer but I'm not sure I want to fly into or out of Rome. I try not to be intimidated by world events but I don't have the same confidence flying into Italy/Rome that I do some other countries.

Are my concerns totally unfounded? Have people had a feeling of security when they fly in or out of Rome?

Thanks
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:40 AM

"Are my concerns totally unfounded?"

It would be hard to say without first knowing your concerns and on what they are based. (Actually, it wouldn't be -but I'll humor you.)
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:41 AM

Exactly which world events have caused you to single out Rome in terms of security?
To answer your question, no, I've never had a problem flying in or out of Rome, or anywhere else, including Morocco right after 9/11.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

To be more specific, my concerns are the security in and around the airport.

I don't consider Rome to be like flying into Bagdhad, but I don't think of it the same as flying into Germany or Switzerland either.

What I'm asking is: do people have a sence of security in Rome airport?
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:44 AM

The point seems to be, if you are even asking this question about Rome you are not ready for a trip to Italy yet. You had better start in another country, Italy can be rough and tumble and rules are not always rules and can be used for convenience at times.

You can't be timid and enjoy yourself and get the feel of Rome, why, even crossing the street can be a challenge and there isn't always a nun to walk beside for safety.

If you are starting your trip w/o confidence in Rome, forget it.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:49 AM

"Are my concerns totally unfounded?"

Absolutely!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Rome airport is fine. Biggest problem for me is the out of date baggage carousel area. SLOW!!!!

That airport has some of the best shopping, FYI.

Fear not.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Another vote for "absolutely unfounded"!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM
kr

If your concerned fly into France and take Air France, or connect to Rome on Air France. They are also a great airline, a lot of americans boycotted them for the goverments stance of the world events.

They usally have good rates

I did that last year on the day after the war started. I felt no one will mess with the French since they were so against the war and they publicly denouce Isreal.

I found security was not as good in france or italy as it was in miami.

Are you concerned with the planes or the airports?
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 10:52 AM
cmt

I'm just curious--WHY would you feel more secure flying in and out of Germany or Switzerland (two countries I've never flown in or out of)?
Though I don't consider flying or being in airports or being in big cities to be risk-free things to do, it has never occurred to me to be any MORE concerned about Rome airport than any other one. The big-city airport that I personally like to avoid is JFK, which is in my own country. If anything terrible ever happened while I was away from the US , I'd rather be in Italy, which has a very non-threatening atmosphere, where I can get along in the language, and where I could probably find shelter in some nice little mountain town in the boondocks while hell broke loose in the cities. But really I don't worry about this. I worry about the little things that I can partly control, and leave the big things to fate.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:26 AM

The real problem in Rome isn't the airport. It's crossing the street!

We flew in and out of Rome last July with no problem. To us it seemed much more secure than either Orly or CDG, which we'd flown into six months earlier.

Take a deep breath, and have a good time!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:53 AM

I personally didn't witness any great security at FCO. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have good security, I just didn't see it.

I remember watching 7 men in wheelchairs being allowed to bypass the metal detectors, for obvious reasons, but then they weren't searched. I didn't like that at all and I was happy to see that none of them were on my flight.

I was nearly strip searched flying out of MSP last weekend. I didn't mind at all. I had on a metal mesh belt that set of the detectors, so they had to do a wand & hand search on me. The security person was very respectful and it only took a few minutes. I'd rather see everyone go through searches like that, rather than letting people passed just because they appear to be in need of a wheelchair. I'd also like to see well trained armed soldiers too, but most people don't like that.

So, to answer athorp's question, it didn't seem to me that FCO had any great security. But you can't control that, so don't let it stop you from traveling.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 01:02 PM
ira

Unlike our pleasant and friendly MizzEve I have seen the security people at FCO and other parts of Italy.

My concern is that they seem to be too young to shave (either their faces or under their arms) and they are carrying automatic rifles.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 01:03 PM
ira

PS
Your concerns are totally unfounded.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 01:11 PM

Possibly the original author is remembering the December 27, 1985 shootings by terrorists at the Rome and Vienna airports. But there was a more recent shooting at LAX (remember July 4, 2002 at the El Al counter?). And there have been other incidents at various places too. So travel is certainly not perfectly safe, but I don't think Rome airport per se is any more risky than any other high-profile Western airport.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 01:34 PM
jay

last christmas the first thing i saw when i got off the plane was 5 machine gun toting carbinari and two of the biggest german shepards i have ever seen. i felt very safe but the dogs did look a little hungry i kept walking .... quickly.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 01:35 PM
dln

If it would allay your fears--my parents have been flying into and out of Rome since 1972 (think of how the world has changed in 31 years!) with no problem whatsoever. That includes going last March, on the brink of our involvement in Iraq. Nothing untoward, ever.

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Crossing the street in Rome is dangerous! I flew into and out of Rome. On my departing flight there was security everywhere. I was asked for my passport at three different points and, my traveling companion was hand-searched. This trip I did right after I heard on the news that their were terrorist threats in tourist areas throughout Europe.

If you really want this trip, the fear of security should not stop you. My thoughts were, if I die in Italy, so what I got to go anyway.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:59 PM

Great food in the domestic terminal FCO.