Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying thru Heathrow and spending the night - Windsor or Hampton?

Mar 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

We are travelling from Los Angeles to Africa in late August, and it looks like we will go through London, to rest up with some sleep and because I can use points for LAX-LHR tickets.

We would arrive at LHR at 9:50 a.m. on a Friday, then leave for Africa at 9:15 a.m. the following morning. Then, coming back we'd arrive at LHR at 1:30 p.m. on a Sunday and leave at 9:55 a.m. the following morning.

I dug up some threads that mainly suggested Windsor, and found one that mentioned Hampton. We would be quite happy to see either Windsor Castle or Hampton Court with whatever time we have, then hit a pub for dinner and pints before a good night's sleep.

What is the hassle factor and time involved in getting to either town? I see there is a Hotel Hoppa bus service, perhaps we should sleep at a hotel closer to the airport and take a taxi or bus into town for sightseeing and dinner? We will certainly have to be up early to make our outgoing flights.

Suggestions welcome, thanks.
Mar 30th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Windsor is a proper and lively town with lots of pubs, restaurants, etc.

Hampton Court lies in an area with a few pubs but no nice town.

and though I like Hampton Court even more than Windsor Castle Windsor is a sweet sweet town.
Mar 30th, 2009, 12:26 PM
yk

I don't think it's too big of a deal to stay IN Windsor, at least on your outbound given that you have one full day. If you stay within the center of town, you can walk to the Castle, tons of shops and restaurants.

On your way home, it doesn't sound like you have as much free time, so staying near/at airport will be enough.

Note that some airport hotels are served by the free local bus. Hoppa serves all airport hotels but it is 4 pounds per person. Here's a very good website about airport hotels, Hoppa, and the free local bus:
http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm
Mar 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM

And Windsor also has Eton - a lovely component of any visit to Windsor - seeing the college grounds, etc.
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:03 PM

We were in Windsor recently for the day and noticed a few local buses that were going to Heathrow, it's not that far. If you did a Google search on 'bus Windsor to Heathrow', it would show you how frequently they run etc.

It would be much nicer staying in Windsor that near Heathrow at an airport hotel.

Kay
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM

I'd personally stay in Windsor on your way over and at LHR on the return.

Coming back, you arrive @ 1:30, but on a flight from Africa you might face long immigration queues and won't likely be out of the airport until 3 PM or later, and on a Monday morning you'll want to be at the airport pretty early for a flight to the States. You can priceline and get a fine 4 star hotel near the airport for around $60 a night.
Mar 31st, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, Windsor going over and airport coming home it is.