Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying in to Venice out of Milan need HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:28 AM
claire

Hi, I will be flying into Venice 4/28 and out of Milan the following Sat. I need help on the airports. How do I get to my hotel ( Danieli)from Venice airport and my flight from Milan is 8 am on Sat. I have read that the airport is 1 hour from Milan and I will be staying near the Duomo. Would prefer an inexpensive route. Thanks.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Rex

Venice: vaporetto <BR>Milan: Malpensa express, or bus. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:05 AM
elaine

Claire <BR>I am 90% positive that the Danieli has a private water taxi landing. It is expensive, but you could take a water taxi from the airport. There is a taxi jetty at the main dock to the left of the arrivals hall. Licensed taxis <BR>have a black registration number on a yellow background. <BR>Alternatively, take the water bus from the airport--ride will be at least 60 minutes but it will be thrilling in its own way, as long as you have the time and your luggage is manageable. The Danieli can give you explicit instructions and I wouldn't be surprised if they could have a porter meet you at the vaporetto landing to assist you with your luggage to the hotel. When you emerge from baggage claim and customs at Marco Polo Airport, you'll see a "Water bus" ticket booth in the outer lobby. Roll your luggage cart through the doors at the corner of the lounge and head for the large yellow waterbus at the dock next to the terminal. <BR> <BR>The least expensive method is to take a <BR>surface bus from the airport to Piazelle Roma, and from there a vaporetto. <BR>the following is information I have gathered, I have not used this method: <BR>The No. 5 Actv orange public bus runs frequently between the airport and Piazzale Roma (about every half hour) between 4:05 a.m. and 12:10 a.m. Trip is about 35 minutes. The fare is 1,800 lire, and you'll find the bus stop near the entrance doors of the Departures area. (From the Arrivals area, step outside and turn right. The Actv bus stop is a short walk away, past any blue buses that you may see.) <BR>If you aren't carrying a lot of luggage and aren't traveling at rush hour, this public bus is a convenient way to reach the city. However, you'll need to take your bags into the bus with you, and there are no luggage racks. You must purchase your ticket before getting on the bus. To buy a ticket, there is an ACTV desk in the arrivals hall, or go into the Departures terminal, turn right, and enter the newsstand, which has ayellow sign reading "Tabacchi / Souvenirs / Giornali" outside the door. Say "autobus per Venezia" . Once you have your ticket, board the bus at the front and hand the ticket to the driver. The bus will stop a number of times on the trip into Venice so stay on board until you've crossed the causeway and reached the end of the line.. (From Piazzale Roma you will need to walk to your hotel, take a taxi or take a vaporetto. <BR> <BR>ATVO (blue bus) This bus costs 5,000 lire and is handy if you're carrying more than one suitcase or backpack, since it has a luggage compartment underneath where the driver will stow your bags. The trip to Piazzale Roma is shorter, about 20 minutes. The stop is located between the Arrivals terminal and the Departures area. (Caution: Buses for Padova and certain other locations are also blue, so check the signs carefully before boarding!) You're supposed to buy a ticket from the ATVO booth in the Arrivals terminal. If this booth is closed, proceed directly to the bus and ask the driver for a biglietto (ticket). <BR> <BR>For more transportation info <BR>www.elmoro.com <BR>www.goeurope.about.com <BR>www.actv.it/inglese <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Debbie

Claire, Elaines information was great but made it sound difficult. It is a breeze, walk out of the airport and the first dock is for water taxi's-they are expensive. Go down a little further and you will see the vaparetto dock. They are affordable-can't remember for sure but $7 or so. Just ask the Hotel which stop you should take and you are there. Very easy. If they don't have a private stop like Elaine thought be sure to travel light because you will have to get your luggage to the hotel on your own. Good luck.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Amy

Hi Claire - I did this same trip last October. Debbie's info for Venice is good - accurate and not complicated. The private water taxi's are expensive ($50) and the public Vaparetto can take you to the same location for a fraction of the price. (Just pack light). The Danieli is a beautiful hotel right on the Grand Canal. <BR> <BR>As for flying out of Milan - I would take the train from Venice to Milan (3 hrs) on Friday eve before your saturday morning flight. Once at the Milan train station, skip the hotel near the Duomo and take a Malpensa shuttle bus ($10?)to an inexpensive airport hotel. The one I stayed at was about $40 and was very clean and convenient. In the morning, the hotel can shuttle you right to the airport departure area. I would be a little nervous about staying near the Duomo the night before an 8am flight from Milan Malpensa. It is about an hour away. However, once at Malpensa, the airport is easy to navigate. <BR> <BR>Good luck and enjoy your trip <BR> <BR>Amy

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Claire

Hi everyone, <BR> <BR>Thanks for all of the great info. I think Venice will be easy now. Debbie, I am already booked at a hotel in Milan on Friday night that is 3 blocks from the train station and close to the Duomo. What time will I have to leave Milan train station to get to the airport for an 8 am flight?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:22 AM
claudia

There are 2 ways to reach Malpensa airport <BR>1)bus from Stazione Centrale <BR>2)train (Malpensa Express) from Stazione Cadorna http://www.malpensaexpress.com <BR>early in the morning and late at night, ME train is substituted by a bus, leaving from Cadorna. If I were Claire I would catch the bus at 5.00 in Cadorna. Cadorna is not far from Duomo area, in any case I would ask to have a taxi (5-6$) booked to reach Cadorna station. There's not much public transportation so early in the morning. ME train costs around 5$. I definitely advise you to come to Milan and have dinner here and have a stroll in Brera (nightlife area in walking distance from Duomo) try Arcadia - Via Ponte Vetero 13 ph 02 876796, Rigolo - Largo Treves ph o2 86463220 (these have also no smoking room) or Da Giacomo. via Benvenuto Cellini ang. P.Sottocorno, 6 <BR>20129 Milano tel 02/76023313 02/76024305 (different area - not so lively, but very good food). <BR>Ok, Milan is not a floating master piece as Venice, but you can have a lot of fun. And then sleep during your flight!

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 05:57 PM
Tina

Amy: <BR> <BR>What was the name of that hotel that you stayed at by the airport??? <BR> <BR>I too, have an early morning flight out of Malpensa within next few weeks.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 11:28 AM
Amy Hutt

Tina <BR> <BR>The hotel near Malpensa was Hotel Cervo. www.hotelcervo.com. (0331) 23.08.21. Around $40/night for single room (with private bathroom)- included breakfast and transfers to airport (5min). It was clean and comfortable and worth the peace of mind when you have an early flight. <BR> <BR>Amy

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 07:01 PM
susan

Great info....We're flying from Istanbul through Milan (June 30) on our way to Venice. Just occurred to me toe stop over in Milan for a day and take the train to Venice. Could we arrange for a Milan city tour at a hotel near the airport? Or, should we stay somewhere near the train station? <BR> <BR>Thanks for any help you can give.... <BR> <BR>Susan