Search

Flying Air France

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Air France

Just a quick question...

What's the Air France experience like flying from the US to Paris.

I was originally booked on an NWA flight from Minneapolis to Paris but it was cancelled. Now flying from Detroit to Paris on Air France (NW codeshare).

Having never flown on a foreign airline I was just wondering what the experience would be like.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:23 AM

I only flew Air France once but I remember it being a pleasant experience and the food was good. Another plus is that once you board the plane you will already feel like you are in France. The announcements will be in French and English. I think that you will enjoy the flight. Bon voyage!
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:27 AM

Flying Air France (in coach, I assume) TATL is virtually identical to flying U.S. carriers: cramped seats, food that is edible but only just, flight attendants who are fine but not overly friendly. Alcohol is free. Check the equipment you're on to see what the AV is like if that's important to you (it's not to me on the outbound flight, as I sleep).

Do you have a seat assignment?
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
On those planes which have entertainment, there are French movies in addition to ones in English. French newspapers may be available. The food is in my experience better than the food on US carriers. No charge for drinks. For me, it is a way of getting into a French frame of mind before getting to France.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:40 AM

I've flown AF several times in the past and found it to be a notch higher in service and food than US airlines (the ones I've flown) but can't say if it still is.

Like others, I enjoy to hearing the flight announcements in French -- a nice start to the vacation.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

No seat assignment yet. NW doesn't let you make seat assignments until 90 days out. We are not leaving until Thanksgiving day so we still have about 130 days left before travel.

Since we are flying on Thanksgiving Day we were hoping that the planes might be a little less crowded.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Just a note about Northwest: We have flown out of Detroit to Paris on NW many times. Don't be surprised if you end up on a NW flight instead of AF. Also, don't be concerned. We really like NW 330 Airbuses--great inflight entertainment (all other things being equal).
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:17 AM

I've taken the AF trip from Atlanta to Paris on many occasions and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I agree that the level of service tends to be slightly better than the typical US airlines (especially NWA.

Enjoy
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The seats are just as bad, the service and food are better, and sometimes the movie programs are quite surprising.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM

My only problem with Air France, and its a major issue, is how far back the seat in front of you inclines back into your lap. You literally can not move if the person is fully inclined. As a result I tend to stay away from Air France when searching for flights...food is decent, decent French wine (free) and friendly staff....if wasnt for those damn seats!....

Mikek
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM

AF allows seat assignments any time. If you were booked under the AF flight number, you could select seats on airfrance.us by entering your ticket number or AF record locater (not the same as the NW one). I don't know if this is possible if you're booked under a NW flight number.

The AF 332 does have in seat entertainment.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM

They also have can-can girls who dance up the aisles.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Air France is alot better than flying any US based airlines in my opinion. Food is edible, they offer seconds on the baguettes, wine, beer, and champagne are free, and the flight attendants do their jobs well. The seat reclining issue I found to be a problem on all airlines I've flown. Too bad the person reclining the seat does not have any courtesy to care that space is limited and not recline as far back as the seat can go. And this goes for mealtimes when they insist to keep it reclined; good thing the flight attendants demand them to put up their seats at mealtimes.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM

I've flown Air France several times to Paris. I find the food and service is better than on U.S. carriers.

Be aware that the AF carry-on weight limit is more restrictive.

Woody
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM
ira

Hi C,

Cattle Class is Cattle Class.

Food is better than most US carriers we have used.

Wine is much better.

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM

I found the AF flights mercifully quieter than the US carriers, with less hawking of the duty free goods, etc.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM

clemson,

We have flown Atlanta to Paris on Air France several times and all were fine --except in October 2007.

That time the plane was a 747 packed to the rafters (or whatever planes have.)

We were so cramped, so hot, and absolutely miserable.

By the way, I am not a whiner or complainer, and to make me unhappy on a flight to Paris takes some doing!

So my advice is to take and enjoy an Air France flight, as long as it is on one of those nice newish Airbuses, and not a 747!

Except, of course, is you are flying in business and first class. In that case (we hear from our son)the 747 is a wonderful experience!

Byrd

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM

We returned on AF flight where the crew was on strike. They would serve dinner but that was all. People had to get up to get extra drinks. Have heard of worse strikes without food at all-bring your on muffins just in case??? Any one have similar experience?
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:19 PM
P_M

Whenever possible I always choose a foreign based airline over US based. The food is better and wine is free. I flew AF last December and I'm booked with AF again this year. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 02:17 AM

I've had good experience on AF. The only complaint I have is they bus you out to the plane rather than boarding from a gateway. The buses tend to be crammed and hot. We had that experience coming and leaving.I haven't flown them in the past year so maybe that has changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -