Reload this Page >

Fly or AVE from Madrid to Seville?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 02:31 PM
RBW

I will be traveling from Newark in a few weeks on a Continental flight to Madrid. From there we plan to go directly to Seville. Which is is more cost and time effective way to get there? It will be a time sensitive trip. Also, which would be the best airline to look into for the internal flight? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Maribel

RBW, <BR>Iberia currently has departures from Barajas to Seville at 10:35 and 12:20 (the low cost Spainair flight leaves at 1:20 p.m). <BR>If your Continental' flight from Newark arrives before 10 a.m., you should be able to make the later Iberia flight at least. The trip only takes 45 min. to Sevilla, so this would be the most time effective. <BR> <BR>The other alternative would be to grab a taxi from Barajas to the Atocha train station (a 1/2 hr. run with traffic) to catch the Ave. I doubt you could make the 11 a. m. Ave (that would be cutting it really, really close), and the next Ave is at 2 p.m., arriving in Seville at 4:25. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps you decide. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 05:08 PM
RBW

Thanks Maribel. Our flight is due in at 9:40 am. I'll take a look at the Iberia website, which I assume will have costs as well. I didn't realize the AVE ran so infrequently either. I somehow thought they were every hour.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Maribel

Hi again RBW, <BR>The Ave takes a "siesta" from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. You might want to call Iberia to find out whether the 10:35 is too tight a connection. I would assume it is, but ask the experts! <BR <BR>Maribel

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 05:47 PM
RBW

Thank you- I will call Iberia. I did get an AVE schedule from raileurope.com and it is apparently wrong. It says on here that there is a daily 11:00 and 12:00 going to Seville. We have only a week in Spain, so I think we won't have to check luggage- maybe we can make the connection. Is that your reccomendation? I suppose we could also get lunch in Madrid and wait for the train. A few hours is also not worth hundreds of dollars. Sorry, 1st time in Spain and a little confused despite lots of research!

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:13 PM
Art

Hi RBW, We took the AVE train from Madrid to Seville last Sept on the 12:00 pm flight. There was also a 11:00 am and 1:00 pm schedule. It is much more comfortable than waiting around at the airport on both ends checking luggage etc. It is a great experiance. <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Maribel

RBW, <BR>Sorry! The Ave schedules I have in my files are apparently outdated. They indeed now have departures at 12 and also at 1-you should have time to catch the one at noon. I just checked www.renfe.es <BR>You won't need to buy first class tickets-tourist class is fine-very comfortable.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:15 AM
amg

RBW <BR> <BR>Last spring we found it cheaper to take the flight from Madrid to Seville. The actual cost of the Airline ticket was less the the AVE ticket. We also felt the it was less stressful then tring to make a tight connection with the AVE. <BR> <BR>Good luck <BR>Aileen

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 08:15 AM
michele

RBW, <BR>Aileen is correct. It is cheaper to fly than take the AVE and you're there in 45 minutes. The train does not travel through any remarkable scenery either ( I am told by reliable sources). As for waiting for your luggage; it's not a big flight, more of a commuter hop and the Seville airport is fairly small so it shouldn't be a problem. ( We had one suitcase for the both of us, carried it on, so I do not speak from experience on that). <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Tammy

What prices are we talking about regards to the flight compared with the AVE? I'm going to Spain this October and I was planning on taking the train.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 09:22 AM
michele

Tammie, <BR> I can't remember the exact price of a ticket, but I do remember that the flight was about $10 less than the AVE. The regular train is less than the flight by quite a bit. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 09:31 AM
RBW

Thanks everyone for your help! Aileen or Michelle, the commuter flight that is cheaper than AVE, is this on Iberia or another airline? The Iberia flights on the web definitely seemed more pricey than the AVE 2nd class. As 2nd class on Thalys was a fine experience for me, I wasn't thinking about 1st. I only need one way as we will be doing some driving once in Andalucia and actually returning to Madrid via Cordoba.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 10:04 AM
michele

I flew Iberia and bought my tickets in Spain. It could be that internal flights are more expensive if purchased in the USA . You might check Spanair also. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Tammy

I just did a search for prices on the Spain train schedule site, RENFE. I believe the cost of the ticket from Madrid to Seville one way is 10,100 pts. If you book a return ticket, you receive a 20% discount. Not too bad with the exchange rate these days. Now I just have to find decent airfare to Spain.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 01:40 PM
xxx

air europa was having a $99 one way special new york to madrid last week. we flew spanair madrid to sevilla last spring with checked luggage. our connection was just over an hour, and we had no problem.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:28 AM
celeste

RBW, did you decide to fly or train? If you're flying what airline and how did you purchase them? We'll be in Spain in April and it will be nice to hear from you when you come back. Thanks.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 09:49 AM
michele

RBW, <BR> I was wrong; I bought my tickets in the US. We flew Iberia and the tickets were less, not much, than first class AVE tickets. We were interested in saving time and neither of us are fans of train trips that are over an hour. If you are pressed for time,even if the tickets are a bit more than second class AVE tickets, the flight from Madrid to Seville is the way to go. <BR> <BR>Have fun in Spain, <BR>Michele

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 11:09 AM
RBW

I appreciate all the tips, and am still looking into the flights- we leave on the 17th arriving the 18th, so I have a little time. I will be happy to share any and all details/tips when I return. You guys have been great. I listed my itinerary under another post "tweaks for my spain itinerary." I can't wait, only wish I had more than a week!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 11:40 AM
RBW

Hi! I think the verdict is to AVE. It turns out that the only feasable flight is at 12:20 ($104.50) on Iberia. Since our flight lands at 9:40, we'd have to wait almost 3 hours at the airport. The extra money wouldn't be a big deal if it would save us time- but it doesn't seem like it will- an hour if we make the 11:00 AVE. Also, the AVE will offer flexibility if our flight is delayed in NY. You never know with the crazy weather in February! Thanks again.